Next Head Coach at Mizzou?

Bills_06

You see this with college football and when a coach gets fired you either get the "I committed to playing for ____ University, not the coach" or "I committed to Coach ____ and not ____ school". I would be surprised to see people committed to Groce and not Illinois but it is hard for recruits to go into a program with a coach who didn't pick them if the job doesn't fall to an assistant coach 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

If Groce is actually fired what does everyone put our chances at Tilmon at? 50-50? 

i think Gordon will be a much better player than Tilmon, but there's no doubt Tilmon would help next year. 

The way I heard it, when Tilmon was wavering on his commitment to Illinoi$, it was due to overtures from Kan$a$

I read this blog the other day talking from an Illini fan point of view.  Since it doesn't seem like a guarantee Tilmon would come here over Kansas or even keeping his commitment to Illinois, I would rather see Groce stay and they stay mediocre for anther year.  Nothing he has done has really shown he can be a competitive coach year in and year out in the B10.  That would give the new coach less time to get in with 2019 kids.  

Link

Totally agree.  Despite what Ford's success has some of us believing, we can't have every recruit.  I'm happy with the ones we have.  At this point, I would rather let Coach Ford get a year or two head start on Mizzou and Illinois on the program prestige meter.  Plus, if the time Tillmon and Picket spend at Illinois is looked at as a less than optimal experience, it might be a cautionary tale to future recruits on the east side.

17 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

bingo. 

I just want Mizzou to remain in mediocrity as long as possible.  

I have to be honest Gentlemen, I absolutely hate Mizzou because they refuse to play us and I think most SLU fans, outwardly or not, would agree. 

We lack a true rival, and even if that true rival is Dayton, an intrastate rival would be great for both schools, and basketball in the MO. I don't care has out the "why Mizzou isn't playing SLU" thing here and now, but that's be honest with ourselves. 

And if you truly don't care, that's alright, I just don't think you are "hung up on them" if you don't like them for not playing us. 

I can almost guarantee you if groce doesn't make the NCAAT this year, he will be gone regardless of how good a recruiting class he is bringing in.  No recruiting class should ever be able to hold any program hostage over a coach.  He just hasn't produced the results.  Whitman knows this, and he very well may have fired him last year if he hadn't been too consumed with straightening out the football department.  The only recruit I would be worrying about losing would be Tilmon, and he would most likely be KU bound.  Any decent coach would be able to come in and have these guys playing at a much higher level and that's all it will take

1 hour ago, CGMAN618 said:

I can almost guarantee you if groce doesn't make the NCAAT this year, he will be gone regardless of how good a recruiting class he is bringing in.  No recruiting class should ever be able to hold any program hostage over a coach.  He just hasn't produced the results.  Whitman knows this, and he very well may have fired him last year if he hadn't been too consumed with straightening out the football department.  The only recruit I would be worrying about losing would be Tilmon, and he would most likely be KU bound.  Any decent coach would be able to come in and have these guys playing at a much higher level and that's all it will take

I stand corrected about the recruiting class would have coach Groce on solid ground.  I trust your insight because you are a fan and I did not realize that coach Groce has brought in several good classes with nothing to show for it.  I have heard some Illini fans say they were interested in Thad Motta before he went to Ohio State and I do not think Thad is on firm ground at Ohio State, is he a possibility if Ohio State gets rid of him?

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

I stand corrected about the recruiting class would have coach Groce on solid ground.  I trust your insight because you are a fan and I did not realize that coach Groce has brought in several good classes with nothing to show for it.  I have heard some Illini fans say they were interested in Thad Motta before he went to Ohio State and I do not think Thad is on firm ground at Ohio State, is he a possibility if Ohio State gets rid of him?

I would think he would be a great possibility.  He is from Danville, but OSU would be stupid to get rid of him.  I know he is in the midst of his worst season there but dude has solid numbers there.  12 yrs, 20+ wins every year, 10+ conf. wins every year except his first.  NCAA 9 times, 1st year they were on probation, 4th year they won NIT, then last year. Granted, this is the second straight year that they are looking at missing tourney. I think they would be stupid to let him go over a couple bad seasons, but if they do I'm sure Whitman would put the hard press on him.  Although, I don't know how Matta would feel about it considering groce was his lead recruiter at Xavier and his early years at OSU. He played a major role in bringing in the Oden/Conley class.  Hey, maybe he could keep Groce on staff and keep our recruiting class intact ??

17 hours ago, CGMAN618 said:

I would think he would be a great possibility.  He is from Danville, but OSU would be stupid to get rid of him.  I know he is in the midst of his worst season there but dude has solid numbers there.  12 yrs, 20+ wins every year, 10+ conf. wins every year except his first.  NCAA 9 times, 1st year they were on probation, 4th year they won NIT, then last year. Granted, this is the second straight year that they are looking at missing tourney. I think they would be stupid to let him go over a couple bad seasons, but if they do I'm sure Whitman would put the hard press on him.  Although, I don't know how Matta would feel about it considering groce was his lead recruiter at Xavier and his early years at OSU. He played a major role in bringing in the Oden/Conley class.  Hey, maybe he could keep Groce on staff and keep our recruiting class intact ??

Ah, how soon we forget the true linchpin of that recruiting class, Mark Titus.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

This was the problem they had last year when they shopped the job.  Nobody they considered appropriate by them wanted the job.  This may happen for another year or 2 until Anderson's contract is up or there is only a year left.  That should put Ford firmly planted for local recruits and our team turned around record wise.

42 minutes ago, brianstl said:

-I read this article and saw another article at the same site about attendance and found this line interesting.....According to NCAA Statistics Policies and Guidelines, teams are permitted to calculate and report attendance using a “turnstile count, tickets sold or estimates” of the crowd size.

-according to that line a team/school can have whatever number they want for attendance

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article129224709.html#storylink=cpy

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

This was the problem they had last year when they shopped the job.  Nobody they considered appropriate by them wanted the job.  This may happen for another year or 2 until Anderson's contract is up or there is only a year left.  That should put Ford firmly planted for local recruits and our team turned around record wise.

I don't see any way they don't fire Andersen at the end of this year. They may not get a good replacement but they can't keep going the course with Kim.

Plenty of up and comers may find the job attractive with a big bump in salary and low expectations at the start

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

I don't see any way they don't fire Andersen at the end of this year. They may not get a good replacement but they can't keep going the course with Kim.

Plenty of up and comers may find the job attractive with a big bump in salary and low expectations at the start

I am not sure what Andersen makes but I know they got him because he was not as costly as some established coaches.  Missouri has lots of trouble there and a new coach may not solve it.  The football coach is having trouble recruiting StL and the East Side.

I am not sure what Andersen makes but I know they got him because he was not as costly as some established coaches.  Missouri has lots of trouble there and a new coach may not solve it.  The football coach is having trouble recruiting StL and the East Side.

I don't think money is much of an issue for Mizzou at this point and I think the problems you are referencing are a little overrated. The right hire will cure a lot, but man are they terrible. Alden tried to go with the Mizzou guy and it failed miserably, I am sure they are willing to spend for their next coach (just don't know who the home run hire that they can get really is though). As far as football, I think Barry Odom will do just fine there with or without kids from East St. Louis sitting at JUCOs across the country.

I am not sure what Andersen makes but I know they got him because he was not as costly as some established coaches.  Missouri has lots of trouble there and a new coach may not solve it.  The football coach is having trouble recruiting........

-fixed it