Next Head Coach at Mizzou?

Bills_06

Figured it is only a matter of time now until they get a new one.  It will be interesting to see who they could get with everything go on there recently but I hear Cuonzo Martin most often from Mizzou fans but I believe he just signed an extension.  Article in the post today had a name we all recognize at the end.  

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-who-could-replace-anderson-at-mizzou/article_1d663976-4d87-59c8-80e4-b5c85cbbbcc8.html

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some wild speculation, even by message board standards. He's not really taking into account contract situations for any of them. He's got entirely reasonable ones, like Keatts, but Wojo and Ford are asinine suggestions. I know he's just trying to get people talking, but this is sports radio screaming goofball kind of stuff.

Speculation is speculation.  Nice to get some positive pub from an article supposedly devoted to Mizzou stuff.  Interesting that Romar "hired" Porter ala Larry Brown and Danny Manning, Sr.  Good to know old habits that seem questionable are never questioned.  Know nothing about the Porter family patriarch so maybe he is a coach and the hire was "legit."  We've done it too with the likes of Jackson Wheeler and Derek Thomas and now Corey tate.  Of course, my all-time favorite was  the steal the Celtics did in drafting Larry Bird after his junior year and then retained him by signing him before the next draft.  Looksliek things are just as legal as they were questionable back then. 

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Speculation is speculation.  Nice to get some positive pub from an article supposedly devoted to Mizzou stuff.  Interesting that Romar "hired" Porter ala Larry Brown and Danny Manning, Sr.  Good to know old habits that seem questionable are never questioned.  Know nothing about the Porter family patriarch so maybe he is a coach and the hire was "legit."  We've done it too with the likes of Jackson Wheeler and Derek Thomas and now Corey tate.  Of course, my all-time favorite was  the steal the Celtics did in drafting Larry Bird after his junior year and then retained him by signing him before the next draft.  Looksliek things are just as legal as they were questionable back then. 

Porter was an assistant women's basketball coach at Mizzou I believe.  Porter Sr. and Romar had been friends though and is Porter Jrs Godfather so not a surprising hire.  I believe the younger Porter brother committed to Washington even before his dad took the job there.  

One name that doesn't ever get mentioned for that job, but should is Bruce Weber.  I am a Weber honk.  I wanted SLU to make a play for him when Crews got canned.  He isn't appreciated at K State and his buy out is only $500,000.  You would have to pay him more than double Anderson's salary to give him a decent boost over what he is making, but that would still would only put them in the middle of the pack when it comes to SEC basketball coaches. He can recruit the area,  he has a staff that recruits this region well and he is a good coach.  He probably wouldn't be the guy that will ever make the program a Final Four caliber program, but he would restore respectability to that mess at Columbia and give them an identity instantly.

As a SLU fan I hope they don't go the Weber route and I don't think they will.  That fan base is still insane about what they think their program should be.  They will think it is beneath them to hire a guy that got fired at Illinois and hasn't won huge at K State.  They are a fan base that thinks they are going to be able to hire away a guy like Buzz Williams or even more insanely Bennett.   

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

One name that doesn't ever get mentioned for that job, but should is Bruce Weber.  I am a Weber honk.  I wanted SLU to make a play for him when Crews got canned.  He isn't appreciated at K State and his buy out is only $500,000.  You would have to pay him more than double Anderson's salary to give him a decent boost over what he is making, but that would still would only put them in the middle of the pack when it comes to SEC basketball coaches. He can recruit the area,  he has a staff that recruits this region well and he is a good coach.  He probably wouldn't be the guy that will ever make the program a Final Four caliber program, but he would restore respectability to that mess at Columbia and give them an identity instantly.

As a SLU fan I hope they don't go the Weber route and I don't think they will.  That fan base is still insane about what they think their program should be.  They will think it is beneath them to hire a guy that got fired at Illinois and hasn't won huge at K State.  They are a fan base that thinks they are going to be able to hire away a guy like Buzz Williams or even more insanely Bennett.   

I don't remember the timing of everything, but on paper Weber seems like what Mizzou fans were expecting to get from Kim Anderson (clearly wrongfully so). Watching Weber's teams the past two seasons at Kansas State, I have become fairly impressed with his coaching ability and talent evaluation/player development.

I would be curious to see if JTIII has a job in DC after this season. GTown faithful are increasingly dissatisfied with his output and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets canned this year. 

I wonder if Mizzou would go after him hard after being let go by the Hoyas. 

-a lot of speculation on Cuonzo, Mizzou would be lucky to get him, would require several wheelbarrows of cash I would think

-another name I heard in speculation for Mizzou is Thad Motta after OSU cans him

-Romar hired an asst coach with coaching experience and has known for years that has two high value recruits, I see no smoke

-this talk of Ford leaving is a quite a feather in his cap given our record and certainly for the recruiting he has done and also in Chris May's for apparently hiring the correct coach, this is good news, unless it happens

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-a lot of speculation on Cuonzo, Mizzou would be lucky to get him, would require several wheelbarrows of cash I would think

-another name I heard in speculation for Mizzou is Thad Motta after OSU cans him

-Romar hired an asst coach with coaching experience and has known for years that has two high value recruits, I see no smoke

-this talk of Ford leaving is a quite a feather in his cap given our record and certainly for the recruiting he has done and also in Chris May's for apparently hiring the correct coach, this is good news, unless it happens

Are people really worried about Ford leaving? Seriously? 

17 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Are people really worried about Ford leaving? Seriously? 

-not now and certainly not to Mizzou and many of their fans would see TFord as not worthy or big-time enough to be their coach, they might be in for a very rude awakening 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Bruce Weber is 60 years old. If you're going to hire someone that old to lead your high major program, he needs to be able to win at a high level fairly quickly. You don't know how many years he has left.

When Groce gets fired from Illinols, Mizzou will make a run at him, in the hopes that he brings ex-Billiken Jamal Walker and LOI J. Tillman along. 

The only Hmmm in this whole bag of Ford to Mizzou worms, or Ford leaving scenario, is the associated article in the PD today on imposing SLU budget cuts.  How can SLU cut $40M and leave the athletic dept alone, unless it shows a profit?

38 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bruce Weber is 60 years old. If you're going to hire someone that old to lead your high major program, he needs to be able to win at a high level fairly quickly. You don't know how many years he has left.

Weber has had only two losing seasons in seasons in his career.  Mizzou is located in the heart of a region he has successfully recruited for almost 40 years and has great facilities.  He took over an SIU program that had limited resources, bad facilities and had them in the Sweet 16 in 4 seasons.  Why would anyone think it would take him a long time to build SPUMAC back into an NCAA program?

Just now, hsmith19 said:

Why would Weber want to go to Mizzou now? 15 years ago, sure.

I don't know if he would want the job or not.  His relationship with K State fan base isn't exactly a love affair, his contract hasn't been extended in 3 years and his buyout is minuscule when it comes to a coach at a power 5 program.  He is at least someone they should make a run at.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't know if he would want the job or not.  His relationship with K State fan base isn't exactly a love affair, his contract hasn't been extended in 3 years and his buyout is minuscule when it comes to a coach at a power 5 program.  He is at least someone they should make a run at.

Weber and Kstate has always seemed like an odd relationship.  Its like their both happy with/for each other, but could do without. 

As bad as Boone County is, it is much better than living in Manhattan Kansas - and being the little brother to the KU Jayhawks.

As a SLU fan, though, I strongly believe patience and additional chances should be given to both Kim Anderson at Mizzou and Groce at Illinois.  Keep them, give them raises and extend their contracts!!

On top of all the other problems, Columbia is a football town now. I can understand why Mizzou would want Weber, but things would have to be worse than just a little awkward at K State for him to take on that mess. Even if he's set on leaving there should be more attractive offers out there.