Incoming recruits - updates (2017)

bauman

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Scout: "A look at five prospects outside the top 100 who could make a big name for themselves in college"

Every year three-star players make a huge impact on college basketball. Here is a look at five in the 2017 class who could be primed for excellent college careers.

The Saint Louis Billikens have one of the top recruiting classes coming into the Atlantic 10 and a huge part of that is Hasahn French. French is a rugged power forward who is as tough as it gets on the interior. He is a tremendous athlete who is very strong, and while he isn't super skilled, French can step out a little bit and make plays off the dribble or hit a short jumper. Still his bread and butter is rebounding and dominating on the glass.

Look for French to be an immediate contributor, possibly starter, for the Billikens as a freshman, and the odds of him having an excellent college career are very high. Because he is undersized for the power forward spot he was left out of the top 100, but French has a chance to be someone who is an all-league type of player before it is all said and done for Travis Ford.

My Note: French cracked the top 100 on Rivals, not Scout, before anyone asks.

9 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Is he really undersized? Maybe for the dream guy, but isn't he 6'7"?

6'7 is a SF now. ideal PF is a center with more mobility lol

Everything seems to be based on potential now. I'll never understand why the NBA seems to care more about wingspan and hand size than skill

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Is he really undersized? Maybe for the dream guy, but isn't he 6'7"?

French pretty much is Reggie's size, just a few pounds lighter.  So was Reggie undersized for A10 paint play?  Well, kind of yeah but he made the best of his stature and was okay effective.  Foreman is right there too, but maybe an inch taller than either of them.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

French pretty much is Reggie's size, just a few pounds lighter.  So was Reggie undersized for A10 paint play?  Well, kind of yeah but he made the best of his stature and was okay effective.  Foreman is right there too, but maybe an inch taller than either of them.

If french starts out as good as I think he can be, I wouldnt be opposed to him and DJ playing together and having a 3 guard- 2 forward lineup  

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If french starts out as good as I think he can be, I wouldnt be opposed to him and DJ playing together and having a 3 guard- 2 forward lineup  

I'm guessing with you that both will be on the floor at the same time a lot. You add Johnson who has shown the ability to rebound and Bess, we should be able to hold our own on the boards.  Last season we were outrebounded by about 4.5 per game.  That needs to change and should change. 

We pretty much played 2 in 3 out all of last season except when we were 1 in and 4 out.  I sense that Ford has little use for the conventional 1-5 player slots.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm guessing with you that both will be on the floor at the same time a lot. You add Johnson who has shown the ability to rebound and Bess, we should be able to hold our own on the boards.  Last season we were outrebounded by about 4.5 per game.  That needs to change and should change. 

We pretty much played 2 in 3 out all of last season except when we were 1 in and 4 out.  I sense that Ford has little use for the conventional 1-5 player slots.

And Goodwin is one of the most aggressive rebounders I have ever seen in high school.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

6'7 is a SF now. ideal PF is a center with more mobility lol

Everything seems to be based on potential now. I'll never understand why the NBA seems to care more about wingspan and hand size than skill

Ideally yes, but my point is more the real world. If he's actually 6'7" I'd bet he's as tall as well over half the guys playing the 4 in D1. So undersized compared to some phantom guy everyone wants but very few have .... Maybe. 

Cool part from the A10 article on SLU's recruits

French probably had more dunks in one high school game than Crawford did all season. Goodwin is a pure winner and no one seems more determined to bring glory back to their hometown school than him. Much like the first new Billiken mascot that was replaced, I’m not sure exactly what SLU is next season, but it’s definitely frightening.

And

Taking into account transfers Adonys Henriquez, DJ Foreman, Javon Bess and Ty Graves as well, and the Billikens are going to be a completely different team, and with the A-10 going into a down year, it’s entirely possible that the Billikens could be challenging for a NCAA Tournament bid if things go right

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

247 Sports final rankings.......JG at 42, HF at 99.  Not bad....not bad at all.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Wow, French getting some late love from these outlets. Very good to see, as we had gotten used to our commits who were even sniffing some sort of ranking drop after becoming associated with the program. Nice to see Ford is bringing us some national respect.