Incoming recruits - updates (2017)

bauman

30 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Watching the game, do high school teams not contest shots in the paint any more? A lot of uncontested layups. Hellems is on fire from deep tonight.

how are you able to watch assuming the obvious that you were there is not the case?

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hellems was on fire tonight setting tournament record with 47 points. He was tournament MVP. Chaminade won 97-94 with Goodwin getting two cracks at a game tying 3, but missing. He was double teamed for both shots. Goodwin scored 42. He single handedly kept Althoff in the game early scoring 16 of their 20 first quarter points until his teammates got in the flow. 

I guess it was a good game with a lot of action, but the lack of defense from both teams was fairly pathetic. There were multiple times of just back and forth uncontested layups. Granted some really good offensive players on the court, but the defense on Hellems and Goodwin (as well as Vrucinic and one of Althoff's guards) was just bad and poor game planning that for some reason never adjusted.

Goodwin hit three 3s in the opening quarter, but didn't do much outside of the lane after that as he went into attack mode and Chaminade didn't adjust their defense to help prevent that. Man that kid is relentless. He is going to be fun to watch as a Billiken.

Hellems was on fire though, put on a Bradley Beal type of shooting display. Offensively he is a really talented player with the ability to score at all three levels (I think that is a term the experts use) at the high school level. Hellems was guarding Goodwin, so you were able to see that Hellems is limited as a defender on the wing. He just lacks the lateral quickness you would like to see from a wing at the high major level. I think his relatively average athletic ability is what has kept programs from offering, but his all around offensive skill set is impressive and he has gotten a lot stronger and grown a bit. I assume the offers will start to come as his size makes him more of a forward option, but his offensive skill set is really impressive and should be enough to attract offers in my opinion.

Karrington Davis and Bateman were complete no shows from what I could tell (haven't looked at the stats). Bateman could not guard the Croatian kid from Chaminade at all and he was Chaminade's secondary scorer in this game. Chaminade also couldn't guard one of the guards from Althoff who like Goodwin was able to get straight line drives resulting in uncontested layups. I just couldn't understand the defense being played by either team. When Chaminade is going this year they are actually more fun to watch than a year ago when it was more just Jayson Tatum taking over as some of the other stars from that team were somewhat limited at the high school level.

I really don't know what to think of Hellems. He's has skills rarely seen with players of his size, but he's also extremely limited in other aspects. He doesn't do a lot off the dribble and he doesn't mix it up down low like Goodwin. I also don't know what position he would play. He won't be able to guard either guard position and I don't think he'll be able to guard the 3 or 4 either. 

I've seen Hellems shut down Xavier Sneed who is quicker than Goodwin is. He also frustrated Thatch when they played. He's a good enough athlete to guard the 3. In fact he guards the other team's best player night in and night out. He was better in that role last year when he was not being called upon to be the primary scorer as well.

In any case nobody has been able to stop the 6'4 220lb bull known as Jordan Goodwin from getting to the basket. It's been a layup drill for him all year.

I think 3 games in 3 days at this point of the season really impacts the defense being played.  Defense takes energy and by the third game these kids don't have much left in the tank.

EJ Liddell probably had the best 3 game stretch of his young career.

St. Mary's played the night before the tournament started against CBC. The St. Mary's players have to be completely gassed after 4 games in 4 days with the style they play.

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think 3 games in 3 days at this point of the season really impacts the defense being played.  Defense takes energy and by the third game these kids don't have much left in the tank.

EJ Liddell probably had the best 3 game stretch of his young career.

St. Mary's played the night before the tournament started against CBC. The St. Mary's players have to be completely gassed after 4 games in 4 days with the style they play.

-when I've seen St Mary's they play a bunch of kids so the minutes are spread, not sure if they did this for these games

Althoff's Marvin Bateman's development has been so disappointing.    He showed early on in high school he was an incredible shooter and honestly is about as good of a pure shooter this area has seen in years.    Add to that he is legitimately 6'5" tall, one would think he and his coaches (both high school and summer) would have trained hard to build his body, learn dribbling skills, teach creating his shot and playing defense and renounding.   He virtually hasn't developed any of his game.   

I believe he will end up at a D2 school like mckendree or Maryville or umsl and have an ok college career, but it is so disappointing to think of what could have possibly Been for him.

If any of you want to see a mountain of an inside player you need to tune in Gonzaga some night and watch the karnowski kid.    Oh my.

Goodwin is now ranked #55 on ESPN's top 100. Hashan French also is mentioned in their "on the cusp" section for top 100 recruits. Here is his blurb. 

Hasahn French
Commonwealth Academy (Massachusetts)
Committed to Saint Louis

French is a throwback-style power forward: powerful, rugged inside and at his best offensively inside of 12 to 15 feet. In many ways his style would have been perhaps more valued a decade or two ago. Here's what is undeniable, though: French is a sheer winner, one of the best pound-for-pound rebounders in the country and an absolute steal in the Atlantic 10. He had plenty of high-major offers and undoubtedly could have made his presence felt there, but instead he'll get the chance to be part of the foundation of coach Travis Ford's rebuilding effort. He'll contend for a starting spot from Day 1 and will help to make the Billikens relevant again sooner rather than later

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Goodwin is now ranked #55 on ESPN's top 100. Hashan French also is mentioned in their "on the cusp" section for top 100 recruits. Here is his blurb. 

So they do change the recruit rankings? Is that due to players not being eligible or recruit-able like that guy with the robberies 

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

So they do change the recruit rankings? Is that due to players not being eligible or recruit-able like that guy with the robberies 

They just update them based on how those guys are developing as players. For all we know, Gordon could be the #1 recruit when he signs next year. Or he could be #50. 

5 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

They only listed about 5 players for on the Cusp, so French being on there is great. Alonzo Verge Jr is still uncommitted, I wonder why we don't have an offer for him

Lots of questions if Verge will be eligible.  He has been to like five different high schools.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Hasahn French
Committed to Saint Louis

French is a throwback-style power forward: powerful, rugged inside and at his best offensively inside of 12 to 15 feet. In many ways his style would have been perhaps more valued a decade or two ago. Here's what is undeniable, though: French is a sheer winner, one of the best pound-for-pound rebounders in the country and an absolute steal in the Atlantic 10. He had plenty of high-major offers and undoubtedly could have made his presence felt there, but instead he'll get the chance to be part of the foundation of coach Travis Ford's rebuilding effort. He'll contend for a starting spot from Day 1 and will help to make the Billikens relevant again sooner rather than later

-what a great synopsis, can't wait to see him on the court, stay healthy Hasahn!

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Hasahn French
Committed to Saint Louis

what was he previously?