Incoming recruits - updates (2017)

bauman

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

There's no other to interpret the bolded part. Your bias towards Glory days slanted your view. That's what bias does, it shapes your views/narrative even in the face of evidence to the contrary

Apparently, there was a different way to interpret it, since it was, in fact, interpreted in different ways.  Your bias in favor of Glorydays slanted your view.  That's what bias does, it shapes your views/narrative even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Hey, how about those Mizzou Tigers!?!

You read what you wanted to read. I don't agree with a lot of what Glory days says, but piling on him when he is 100% right is wrong. You have to look at the comments and respond objectively. The only bias here should be a bias in favor Saint Louis University and it's athletic program and our good friend Steve who created this wonderful board.  Steve even banned me once, later admitted it was wrong, and neither of have held a grudge or bias.

2017 MR. BASKETBALL OF ILLINOIS

139 ballots cast. Five points for first, three for second, one for first.

• 251: Mark Smith, Edwardsville sr. (41 first-13 second-7 third) named on 61 ballots
  • 175: Nojel Eastern, Evanston sr. (22-19-8) 49
  • 136: Jordan Goodwin, Belleville Althoff sr. (11-24-9) 44
  • 105: Jeremiah Tilmon, East St. Louis sr. (13-9-13) 35
  • 85: Taylor Bruninga, Glasford Illini Bluffs sr. (10-9-8) 27
  • 51: Alonzo Verge, Thornton sr. (6-6-3) 15
  • 46: Nana Akenten, Bolingbrook sr. (4-7-5) 16
  • 46: Javon Pickett, Belleville East sr. (2-7-15) 24
  • 45: Cameron Krutwig, Jacobs sr. (4-4-13) 21
  • 31: Lucas Williamson, Young sr. (2-5-6) 13
  • 30: Justin Smith, Stevenson sr. (1-6-7) 14
  • 29: Evan Gilyard, Simeon sr. (2-4-7) 13
  • 25: Ayo Dosunmu, Morgan Park jr. (4-1-2) 7

On 2/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, RUBillsFan said:

Getting thread back on the topic of incoming 2017 recruits.  The video of French is very impressive.  I do wonder if he'll struggle with foul trouble though.  If he's coming down with his arm(s) like that trying to swat shots away, I'd imagine some of the questionable A-10 officials will call him for fouls that may or may not be fouls especially as a freshman before he establishes himself a bit.  Ideally, he'll learn to play a less flashy, but more effective / less likely to draw fouls interior defense.

We'll have the bodies to deal with the fouls.

French will be a major factor.

This year we haven't been able to put up fouls because it means Neufeld is taking to the court.

Having seen Gordon and Tilmon both play a couple of times, I am of the opinion the Bills clearly have the better of the two coming to play at Chaifetz.  I wasn't overly impressed with Tilmon but admittedly am not an expert on projecting talent long term for big men.  He seemed timid, slow and lacked any sort of mid-range game and would be challenged to play a meaningful role in an up tempo offense.  Would love to hear some other opinions but I see Tilmon as much more of a project and Gordon as someone who will step in and contribute right away when he slips on the Bills jersey.  This doesn't mean having both would be a bad thing but all the talk has been about where Tilmon ultimately lands...not about his game/ceiling.

9 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

2017 MR. BASKETBALL OF ILLINOIS

139 ballots cast. Five points for first, three for second, one for first.

• 251: Mark Smith, Edwardsville sr. (41 first-13 second-7 third) named on 61 ballots
  • 175: Nojel Eastern, Evanston sr. (22-19-8) 49
  • 136: Jordan Goodwin, Belleville Althoff sr. (11-24-9) 44
  • 105: Jeremiah Tilmon, East St. Louis sr. (13-9-13) 35
  • 85: Taylor Bruninga, Glasford Illini Bluffs sr. (10-9-8) 27
  • 51: Alonzo Verge, Thornton sr. (6-6-3) 15
  • 46: Nana Akenten, Bolingbrook sr. (4-7-5) 16
  • 46: Javon Pickett, Belleville East sr. (2-7-15) 24
  • 45: Cameron Krutwig, Jacobs sr. (4-4-13) 21
  • 31: Lucas Williamson, Young sr. (2-5-6) 13
  • 30: Justin Smith, Stevenson sr. (1-6-7) 14
  • 29: Evan Gilyard, Simeon sr. (2-4-7) 13
  • 25: Ayo Dosunmu, Morgan Park jr. (4-1-2) 7

I hope Underwood keeps his promise to concentrate recruiting efforts on the Chicago area.  That would be fine by me.  We'll just have to settle for the scraps left in southern Illinois.

1 hour ago, kappy96 said:

Having seen Gordon and Tilmon both play a couple of times, I am of the opinion the Bills clearly have the better of the two coming to play at Chaifetz.  I wasn't overly impressed with Tilmon but admittedly am not an expert on projecting talent long term for big men.  He seemed timid, slow and lacked any sort of mid-range game and would be challenged to play a meaningful role in an up tempo offense.  Would love to hear some other opinions but I see Tilmon as much more of a project and Gordon as someone who will step in and contribute right away when he slips on the Bills jersey.  This doesn't mean having both would be a bad thing but all the talk has been about where Tilmon ultimately lands...not about his game/ceiling.

I'm not sure when you saw him last, but several of your claims just don't hold water. Project? No sir, his post game is very polished and he has lots of moves in addition to overpowering people. Challenged to play uptempo? He runs floor and extremely well and plays well above the rim. Mid range game? As a center it's really not necessary at the college level, but once again, he's solid when shooting uncontested baseline jumpers, but again centers don't need that (see Tyler Hansbrough). If you can look at these clips and not see how dominant this guy is, then no one will be able to convince you.

12 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I'm not sure when you saw him last, but several of your claims just don't hold water. Project? No sir, his post game is very polished and he has lots of moves in addition to overpowering people. Challenged to play uptempo? He runs floor and extremely well and plays well above the rim. Mid range game? As a center it's really not necessary at the college level, but once again, he's solid when shooting uncontested baseline jumpers, but again centers don't need that (see Tyler Hansbrough). If you can look at these clips and not see how dominant this guy is, then no one will be able to convince you.

I'm not saying Tilmon can't play up tempo, but his style fits Martin's half court offense better than Underwood's (or Ford's preferred style which we didn't see this season).

1 hour ago, kappy96 said:

Tilmon's game reminds me a lot of Billy Coby's.

16 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Thanks for sharing.  I'm always a little skeptical to base opinions off highlight reels as they are selective in what they show but appreciate your insights and thoughts.  You didn't address the comparison of Gordon vs. Tilmon...interested to hear what you have to say.