Incoming recruits - updates (2017)

bauman

Not sure which thread I should use but Welmer has a good stroke and I expect his fts to exceed 70% next year as he settles in. 

If Ford can't get Barry in for a ft clinic, maybe he can get a physics prof in after the season to illustrate how much bigger the target is when u increase in arc.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I will be disappointed if roby plays before bess.  

The more I think about it, the more I like Roby in the starting lineup. His three ball is getting better and better, and can get to the FT line.

2 bangers down low, along with your 2 best 3pt shooters, and a slashing pg. 

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I will be disappointed if roby plays before bess.  

Roy, I think Roby starts at the begining of the season to help Goodwin ease into the role of the primary guy running the offense and handling the ball.

Start of the season.....

Goodwin 

Henriquez

Roby

French

Foreman

First off the bench Bess and Johnson.

By the time conference season starts......

Goodwin

Henriquez

Bess/Graves

French

Foreman

First off the bench Bess/Graves, Roby and Johnson.

Barring the addition of a center who can give you minutes right away, I expect a lot of 3 guard offense.

Wow almost no confidence here for Bess. He was a starter on a final four Michigan state team. The second year they were a 2 seed. I have absolute trust in Michigan State for playing him. If it wasn't for his injury he would probably still be there. You have to remember that Mstate can over recruit an injured guy in a heartbeat and that's what happened. Bess will start.

You guys also aren't tending to notice that Ford is going to have a preference for his recruits. Johnson didn't get better until Ford gave him hella minutes that one game. Zeke never got that chance to play an entire game which might have happened if he was a Ford recruit I speculate. I think Ford sees zeke as a guy he might be stuck with for 4 years that he wouldn't have recruited. It's like a stepdad, he can love the players he hasn't recruited but deep down he is going to have preference for his own guys. Ford wants athletes and if you haven't noticed the guys coming in off the red shirts and from HS are bullies on the court. Not what we had from Crews recruits. 

21 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Wow almost no confidence here for Bess. He was a starter on a final four Michigan state team. The second year they were a 2 seed. I have absolute trust in Michigan State for playing him. If it wasn't for his injury he would probably still be there. You have to remember that Mstate can over recruit an injured guy in a heartbeat and that's what happened. Bess will start.

I dont think there's a lack of confidence, as much as it has to do with depth between the 2-4 spots. He has a big ? since his injury.  If in fact he is as good as some think, he'll be starting in no time.  Also, just because you start for a great team, doesnt mean you're one of the best players.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

The more I think about it, the more I like Roby in the starting lineup. His three ball is getting better and better, and can get to the FT line.

2 bangers down low, along with your 2 best 3pt shooters, and a slashing pg. 

Roby really has stepped up his game and had a nice season under the circumstances. If Bess is better great, I hope so... but if not, we could still have a very strong team with Roby in the lineup. A stronger supporting cast makes everybody better and Roby figures to be even better when surrounded by better players. 

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Roby really has stepped up his game and had a nice season under the circumstances. If Bess is better great, I hope so... but if not, we could still have a very strong team with Roby in the lineup. A stronger supporting cast makes everybody better and Roby figures to be even better when surrounded by better players. 

I think Roby will get minutes even if he isn't a starter.  His ability to give you good minutes at the 1-3 spots makes him valuable.

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also, just because you start for a great team, doesnt mean you're one of the best players.

Are you being serious? Do you realize how bad this team is? I don't know how you can be negative to a guy we have that started on a final four team and not being good enough compared to our current team. Complete arrogance. This entire team has 6 players over recruited over the current squad plain and simple. 

6 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Are you being serious? Do you realize how bad this team is? I don't know how you can be negative to a guy we have that started on a final four team and not being good enough compared to our current team. Complete arrogance. This entire team has 6 players over recruited over the current squad plain and simple. 

Just so we have our facts straight... Bess started last year for MSU during the first 13 or so games of the year. He later lost his starting spot and averaged less than 10 minutes per game in the Big 10. This was the team that was a 2 seed but lost in the first round of the dance. 

The year before, Bess did not play the 2nd half of the season and never played in any of the NCAA tournament games. I believe he was injured.

To say he "started on a final four team" is certainly not right. 

3 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

in no way have I said hes not better than anyone we have now?  

You just assume since you start for a good team, you would without a doubt be a starter for the lesser team.  A lot of teams have a 6th man, whom may be better than one or two of the starters.

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Jake Barnett started several games for a team that was ranked in the Top 10... just sayin.

if the equal of seniors Jett, McCall, Loe and Evans are on the floor, you have a good point and the Roby love is well taken.     just sayin.  

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if the equal of seniors Jett, McCall, Loe and Evans are on the floor, you have a good point and the Roby love is well taken.     just sayin.  

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Yep, supports my point that it is the front end talent that is much more important in determining the success of the team... all the hand ringing about the supporting cast & bench is silly.

5 hours ago, kshoe said:

Just so we have our facts straight... Bess started last year for MSU during the first 13 or so games of the year. He later lost his starting spot and averaged less than 10 minutes per game in the Big 10. This was the team that was a 2 seed but lost in the first round of the dance. 

The year before, Bess did not play the 2nd half of the season and never played in any of the NCAA tournament games. I believe he was injured.

To say he "started on a final four team" is certainly not right. 

Ha, well, kshoe, there is a bit of truth in GloriaDaze statement, if you look at it the way GD looks at it.  Bess in fact did start on a team that eventually went to the final four.  He didn't start, or as you say, even play in the Final Four, but his picture is on the roster of a Final Four Team.  Not exactly a resume builder.  Heck, I have been to three Final Fours.  I have as much Final Four game experience as Bess.  And I looked up his stat line for 2nd seeded MSU's loss to 15th seeded Middle Tennessee.  Bess played 7 minutes and didn't score or even shoot, had one rebound, one assist and one foul. Let's all get excited about those 7 minutes.  I'm sure the rebound was one of legendary status.  We should be 'very serious' about the rebound. 

And, don't forget, we out-hustled Akron for Bess' signature.  There wasn't a long line for his service.

This being said, I TRULY HOPE BESS TURNS OUT TO BE OUR NEXT DONNIE DOBBS. I'm not sure what a glue guy does (as he has been described by Coach Ford), but I hope he is Gorilla Glue and not Elmer's Glue.

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Grandy Glaze....

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Jake Barnett started several games for a team that was ranked in the Top 10... just sayin.

Jake, also, averaged 14 points a game as a freshman on a really awful team before he transferred to SLU.  The point is just because you put up good numbers on a really bad team doesn't mean you are a good player.  It doesn't mean your game will be elevated by being surrounded by better talent.  Sometimes guys put up numbers on bad teams because someone has to.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Jake, also, averaged 14 points a game as a freshman on a really awful team before he transferred to SLU.  The point is just because you put up good numbers on a really bad team doesn't mean you are a good player.  It doesn't mean your game will be elevated by being surrounded by better talent.  Sometimes guys put up numbers on bad teams because someone has to.

Oh I thought he meant even scrubs can start on good teams

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Oh I thought he meant even scrubs can start on good teams

I am sure that is what he was trying to say.  I just wanted to point out that when people talk about numbers that guys are putting up on the current team that it doesn't necessarily translate to being an important part of a good team.  

Jake as a freshman averaged more points a game on a bad team than anyone on our current roster.  Plus, only Roby has a higher 3 pt% than Jake did as a freshman.

6 hours ago, brianstl said:

By the time conference season starts......

Goodwin

Henriquez

Bess/Graves

French

Foreman

First off the bench Bess/Graves, Roby and Johnson.

Barring the addition of a center who can give you minutes right away, I expect a lot of 3 guard offense.

I can't wait until next year.  That will be an exciting lineup.  Games will be soooo differently played and executed.  Can't remember ever there being such a difference from one year to the next.