Incoming recruits - updates (2017)

bauman

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

French is a horrible FT shooter. He has a little bit of a mid-range jumper but isn't the kind to look for a spot jumper. It's going to come off something like a reverse pivot, long offensive rebound, or something like that. He's more of a traditional banger-type power forward who plays close to the basket.

Thanks Pistol.  Your response is what I was looking for.  This will limit what Ford can do with playing French, Foreman and Bess together for long stretches, as the lane will be clogged.  Roby, Goodwin, Graves and Bishop need space to get to the rim.   This also will put French in an offense/defense substitution pattern in crunch time.

Foreman and Bess FT stats aren't good either, career 52.7% and 53.3%.  We may look like a hockey team with shift changes in the last few minutes of a tight game.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thanks Pistol.  Your response is what I was looking for.  This will limit what Ford can do with playing French, Foreman and Bess together for long stretches, as the lane will be clogged.  Roby, Goodwin, Graves and Bishop need space to get to the rim.   This also will put French in an offense/defense substitution pattern in crunch time.

Foreman and Bess FT stats aren't good either, career 52.7% and 53.3%.  We may look like a hockey team with shift changes in the last few minutes of a tight game.

+1 Yet another reason why it is important to have multiple players who can handle the ball and shoot free throws. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't bother with highlight films, but I do have a question on French.  Since you have watched game film, does he have a 15 - 18 ft jumper?  It would be huge if he can extend out from the hoop.  What is his FT %? That usually is an indicator if a player has an outside shot.

Johnson playing with French can stretch the defense, I really look forward to seeing both playing at the same time and changing teams shots kick outs to Johnson for 3's.  I think French may push the other players for a starting position.

16 hours ago, Pistol said:

Mo Alie-Cox: 6-7, 250, 7-1 wingspan.

Hasahn French: 6-7, 230, 7-1 wingspan.

Just saying.

Good comparison and exciting.

Hasahn French reminds me of Anthony Bonner.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Only one of current front line players is a decent free throw shooter.  Johnson hits at 73% clip and everyone else is a crappy FT shooter.  Johnson has improved at the line as he has played more.  He is hitting 85% in conference games.  

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Only one of current front line players is a decent free throw shooter.  Johnson hits at 73% clip and everyone else is a crappy FT shooter.  Johnson has improved at the line as he has played more.  He is hitting 85% in conference games.  

Look again, or tell me why 73.3% is decent and 72.3% is crappy.  Plus, Bishop is a career 85.3% shooter.  

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Roby doesn't play on our front line and neither does Bishop.  They are back court players.  

Okay, by front line I thought you meant rotation players (minus Gillmann and Neufeld).  So basically you are saying Reggie and Elliott aren't very good FT shooters.  I agree.  Johnson plays everywhere.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

French is a horrible FT shooter. He has a little bit of a mid-range jumper but isn't the kind to look for a spot jumper. It's going to come off something like a reverse pivot, long offensive rebound, or something like that. He's more of a traditional banger-type power forward who plays close to the basket.

Because I could, I looked up Goodwin's shooting percentages for this year:  55.5% FT, 52.3% FG and 27.8% from the 3. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

In all seriousness, we may need Bishop and Roby to play 20 min a game just so we have ballhandlers in the game who can hit free throws.

Henriquez hits at 73% but doesn't get to the line all that often, with only 116 FT attempts in two years.  That is about two attempts a game.

45 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Small squad, especially if Bess is in and French is not.  That's darn near a 5-guard lineup!  You'd have a 3 (Johnson) jumping center.

Starting is for HS.  Expect Mr. Welmer to be a factor.  He has done well this year.

Goodwin 

Henrequez

Bess

French

Foreman

with Roby, Bishop, Graves, Zeke coming in for the guards 

and Welmer and Johnson spelling the bigs.

Stacked! I bet Ford pulls something else out of the hat by next season as well.  This will be fun!

14 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Goodwin 

Henrequez

Bess

French

Foreman

with Roby, Bishop, Graves, Zeke coming in for the guards 

and Welmer and Johnson spelling the bigs.

Stacked! I bet Ford pulls something else out of the hat by next season as well.  This will be fun!

I believe Roby will start.

BB: the only shot you should like is the one where the majority go in.  Zeke's put up 57 treys; 50 twos.  He shoots 33/34%; so better on twos.  So I'd call it a push for now and likely deserving of a second year given where we are.  One thing negative I will say ---- and its understandable as a freshman ---- is he does not have the "shooters mentality" whereby he keeps shooting.  Again he's a freshman and that mentality also doesn't work on a team with a makeup and a pace like ours. Still, a long way to go to be "stench-free."  I remain unconvinced.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

BB: the only shot you should like is the one where the majority go in.  Zeke's put up 57 treys; 50 twos.  He shoots 33/34%; so better on twos.  So I'd call it a push for now and likely deserving of a second year given where we are.  One thing negative I will say ---- and its understandable as a freshman ---- is he does not have the "shooters mentality" whereby he keeps shooting.  Again he's a freshman and that mentality also doesn't work on a team with a makeup and a pace like ours. Still, a long way to go to be "stench-free."  I remain unconvinced.

Effectively, he's shooting worse on 2s.  Shooting 33% from 3 is the equivalent of shooting 50% from 2.  

Majerus used to basically say that players should only take three pointers or layups. Highest effective shooting percentages on both.