• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

From the podcast for Bess- A "stat guy"

Adonys- Ford says is his top 5 shooters he has ever had

Not sure what a "stat guy" is.

This seems like the second time TF has talked glowingly about AH's shooting and all indications are that Graves is also a lights out shooter.  Boy, can we use that-a couple of consistent 3 pt shooters.  That can really open up the inside for players like Goodwin and French.  While DR and JJ have had a few games where they were hot from the arc, no one has been a consistent threat. 

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Yes absolutely. I read an article on food rankings on places like yelp, where generally the top 10 or 15 restaurants are standouts, but it doesn't necessarily make the next 100 best lesser or better than others. We are also not fooling ourselves if we aren't excited about landing players in the top 100 either like Goodwin, lets be honest, it gives us a lot more hope when we see that number next to him. I am hoping players don't drop in ranking if they choose SLU like what happened to Adonys when he chose UCF 

Wish I could calculate 247's composite rating but it is a proprietary formula.  Anyway, Coach Ford keeps saying this would be a top 10 class if the transfers were counted.  I figure he is about right.

Just looking down the list I see Xavier has 6 recruits with an average rating for the 6 at .9122.  SLU's got 6 recruits as well and if you use their HS ratings you reach an average recruit rating of .9011 (Bess .8609, Henriquez .9013, Foreman .9057, Graves .8542, Goodwin .9798, French .9044).  So just eyeballing it looks like SLU would be at 11 or so in the team rankings, right behind Xavier.  

Was a financial guy.....like numbers.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

This seems like the second time TF has talked glowingly about AH's shooting and all indications are that Graves is also a lights out shooter.  Boy, can we use that-a couple of consistent 3 pt shooters.  That can really open up the inside for players like Goodwin and French.  While DR and JJ have had a few games where they were hot from the arc, no one has been a consistent threat. 

A stat-sheet stuffer.  A guy who contributes in every facet of the game, though not necessarily leading in any category.

17 hours ago, bauman said:

The one transfer I would like more info on (maybe from someone at the open practice) is Bess.  His size seems to make him a tweener and I have not heard that he excels at ball handling, rebounding or shooting.  I know I am missing something regarding him, but what? Is there a recent Billiken that he can be compared to skill wise?

Unrelated to my question, it seems like he was the transfer most excited by the win against GM. He was really pumped towards the end of the game and at the conclusion. 

My read on Bess is that he's a strong, athletic wing who gets his points at the basket. He's hard-nosed and rebounds his position well. He's not a good shooter; I was hoping that'd be the skill he dedicated himself to this sit-out season but the reports from practice the other day indicated that he's still weak from that standpoint. He went to Michigan State, easily his highest-level offer, which some saw as a stretch. To his credit, he worked his way into the starting lineup for most of his time there. He eventually got outplayed by a freshman last season, a much higher-rated freshman. But that's what happens at the elite programs. They recruit the highest level every year and no one's job is safe. I imagine Ford thinks of him as a 'stat sheet' guy in that he'll contribute to all five major categories, without any one of them popping off the page.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

My read on Bess is that he's a strong, athletic wing who gets his points at the basket. He's hard-nosed and rebounds his position well. He's not a good shooter; I was hoping that'd be the skill he dedicated himself to this sit-out season but the reports from practice the other day indicated that he's still weak from that standpoint. He went to Michigan State, easily his highest-level offer, which some saw as a stretch. To his credit, he worked his way into the starting lineup for most of his time there. He eventually got outplayed by a freshman last season, a much higher-rated freshman. But that's what happens at the elite programs. They recruit the highest level every year and no one's job is safe. I imagine Ford thinks of him as a 'stat sheet' guy in that he'll contribute to all five major categories, without any one of them popping off the page.

+1.

I kind of envision a bigger (hopefully better) version of Ash if that helps.

18 hours ago, bauman said:

Just a side note, Ford said they call Adonys 'AD', as a shortened Adonys.

21 hours ago, SShoe said:

+1.

I kind of envision a bigger (hopefully better) version of Ash if that helps.

A single play often constitutes an outlier, but at the open practice last week I noted a play in which Welmer had good rebounding position on Bess, yet Bess used raw strength and athleticism to snare the rebound right over Welmer. It was the kind of rebound we often saw by Ash, except Ash couldn't do that against a fairly athletic 6'9" player like Welmer. Bess will have great success if he accepts the kind of roll that Draymond Green players for GSW. Bess should dominate against most non-conference foes, and he should be an athletic battler against the good programs.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Mo Alie-Cox: 6-7, 250, 7-1 wingspan.

Hasahn French: 6-7, 230, 7-1 wingspan.

Just saying.

French has the body to bulk up to 250 without losing athleticism and at the same time is more skilled offensively as a hs senior than Cox is as a college senior.

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

French has the body to bulk up to 250 without losing athleticism and at the same time is more skilled offensively as a hs senior than Cox is as a college senior.

I sent the side-by-side comparison to a few buddies via text last night and one said that French might be Alie-Cox with a little more upside.

Having watched plenty of video on French, I don't think it's out of the question that he can gradually add 20 lbs. to his frame. I don't think it's absolutely essential, but my whole point in the comparison was that they've basically got the same frame and that MAC might be a reasonable in-conference comparison for what we're getting in French: a hard-nosed, completely unselfish player who does the little things at both ends to help his team win- mopping up every rebound in the area, blocking shots, finishing at the rim (and wow, did last night show that something so simple like finishing around the rim cannot be overlooked). French seems to have a little bit more fire in him, too, from what I've seen and read. That can't hurt.

Anyway, Alie-Cox might not have numbers that jump off the page, but I can't imagine VCU's record in the past 4 years being the same without him. I have a feeling we're getting this kind of player in French.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I sent the side-by-side comparison to a few buddies via text last night and one said that French might be Alie-Cox with a little more upside.

Having watched plenty of video on French, I don't think it's out of the question that he can gradually add 20 lbs. to his frame. I don't think it's absolutely essential, but my whole point in the comparison was that they've basically got the same frame and that MAC might be a reasonable in-conference comparison for what we're getting in French: a hard-nosed, completely unselfish player who does the little things at both ends to help his team win- mopping up every rebound in the area, blocking shots, finishing at the rim (and wow, did last night show that something so simple like finishing around the rim cannot be overlooked). French seems to have a little bit more fire in him, too, from what I've seen and read. That can't hurt.

Anyway, Alie-Cox might not have numbers that jump off the page, but I can't imagine VCU's record in the past 4 years being the same without him. I have a feeling we're getting this kind of player in French.

Rivals had Cox listed at 235 and ESPN had him at 240 when he committed to VCU.

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't bother with highlight films, but I do have a question on French.  Since you have watched game film, does he have a 15 - 18 ft jumper?  It would be huge if he can extend out from the hoop.  What is his FT %? That usually is an indicator if a player has an outside shot.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't bother with highlight films, but I do have a question on French.  Since you have watched game film, does he have a 15 - 18 ft jumper?  It would be huge if he can extend out from the hoop.  What is his FT %? That usually is an indicator if a player has an outside shot.

why would you ever want a player like French straying from the lane?  

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Is this a serious question?  If French as an honest jumper, it draws the defender away from the basket.  Elemental basketball.

but it also takes our beast away from the basket.   Henriquez can handle the outside shooting needs.  elemental stuff. 

French is a horrible FT shooter. He has a little bit of a mid-range jumper but isn't the kind to look for a spot jumper. It's going to come off something like a reverse pivot, long offensive rebound, or something like that. He's more of a traditional banger-type power forward who plays close to the basket.