So no Gillman or Neufeld last night

BLIKNS

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brought this up the other day, this team is far too bad for someone to NOT get PT.  Ford would rather scare them off, then revoke their scholarship. Which I can totally understand. 

It would be a crime to waste these scholarships.

Psimitis played over them because Psimitis is BETTER. He had a nice drive and got fouled, something which Gillman and especially Neufeld(who is likely the worst Billiken of all time, without the attitude of BJ)

Neufeld is definitely gone. Gillman will be a senior and is a local kid, but I hope he moves on too. He can pay his tuition next year, like the rest of the student body who also lack superhuman basketball skills.

I definitely think Ford was sending a message.  If you can't play for this team, how in the world on you going to get any playing time next year.

From what I recall, I thought that Gillman was recruited out of high school by an Ivy League squad.  My hope for him is that he graduates, uses the graduate transfer rule, and spends his last season of eligibility getting a free year of Ivy League graduate school.  That's a valuable asset in terms of tuition cost savings and an investment in future earnings.

I don't think that Neufeld is as bad as some say he is.  Having said that, he needs to spend the talent he does have more productively than wasting away on our bench.  I hope he finds a good fit for him.

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I definitely think Ford was sending a message.  If you can't play for this team, how in the world on you going to get any playing time next year.

From what I recall, I thought that Gillman was recruited out of high school by an Ivy League squad.  My hope for him is that he graduates, uses the graduate transfer rule, and spends his last season of eligibility getting a free year of Ivy League graduate school.  That's a valuable asset in terms of tuition cost savings and an investment in future earnings.

I don't think that Neufeld is as bad as some say he is.  Having said that, he needs to spend the talent he does have more productively than wasting away on our bench.  I hope he finds a good fit for him.

Have the Ivy schools started offering scholarships?  I mean, I know they've always provided some assistance, but not full-rides.  I thought they "didn't offer athletic scholarships."  Has that changed?

47 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Have the Ivy schools started offering scholarships?  I mean, I know they've always provided some assistance, but not full-rides.  I thought they "didn't offer athletic scholarships."  Has that changed?

Gillman has the academics to attend one. i honestly think he will probably finish next year and graduate. He only has one year left.

I hope that Ford will have that scholarship back by April.

58 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

this is nonsense.. ive seen neufeld go for a rebound and have the ball bounce off of his head. He has ZERO future playing basketball in the NCAA. Get real, dude.

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

Neufeld is not the worst. We have taken plenty of flyers on tall stiffs over the years. Some were worse.  Usually only one per roster until Crews decided to collect as many as he could. 

the stiffs we have taken flyers on(Thompson, Husak, Manning) have been far quicker and stronger and more talented than Neufeld. Better floor awareness. WBAT Brett Jolly was quicker and more athletic than Neufeld.

Manning also had a crippling injury early in his career that demolished his career. No such report with Neufeld, who is plain old bad.

12 minutes ago, Soderball said:

the stiffs we have taken flyers on(Thompson, Husak, Manning) have been far quicker and stronger and more talented than Neufeld. Better floor awareness. WBAT Brett Jolly was quicker and more athletic than Neufeld.

Manning also had a crippling injury early in his career that demolished his career. No such report with Neufeld, who is plain old bad.

I've heard mono can really slow one down.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I believe it was Yale. They seem to recruit STL well; I know they had another kid recently graduate from there, and I think he may have been an Oakville grad, too. They currently have a sophomore from Jackson, MO. Wyatt Yess will go there in the fall.

Anyway, Gillmann had other Ivy League interest, as well. I hope this comes to fruition, as it seems best for all parties.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I've actually never heard of that and thought that was ridiculous so I looked it up and yes the Ivy's still do that. Basically the coach makes an argument and letter to the admissions office to get accepted and they can't sign any letter, a commitment is based on trust, so strictly verbal. Learn something everyday

Gillmann will need to have something the IVYs find attractive before they take him in. As far as basketball is concerned, there is minimal interest in Harvard (and presumably the other IVYs) directed to basketball or most other sports. Yes they have all kinds of sports, and yes sometimes their teams are very good, but there is minimal support among the students or faculty for sports. It may be easier for him to go to a good D2 school with good grad programs.

This is one of the most speculative and in some ways irresponsible threads in recent memory. To my knowledge, no one has knowledge of Gillmann's plans next year (or Ford's plans for him), no one on here has any knowledge of his grades (although only Bartley, Neufeld, and Crawford were on the last two student honor rolls), and no one has any knowledge of any interest of any Ivy League school in admitting or recruiting him to transfer. In fact, it would be against NCAA rules to do so. The only thing we no is that Gillmann may or may not be back with SLU next year, and the staff will plan accordingly. 

42 minutes ago, davidnark said:

This is one of the most speculative and in some ways irresponsible threads in recent memory. To my knowledge, no one has knowledge of Gillmann's plans next year (or Ford's plans for him), no one on here has any knowledge of his grades (although only Bartley, Neufeld, and Crawford were on the last two student honor rolls), and no one has any knowledge of any interest of any Ivy League school in admitting or recruiting him to transfer. In fact, it would be against NCAA rules to do so. The only thing we no is that Gillmann may or may not be back with SLU next year, and the staff will plan accordingly. 

Are you meaning to imply....the odds are 50/50?

Are people mixing Gillmann up with Reynolds (who apparently was recruited by Harvard at one point)? None of the Oakville people I know have ever mentioned anything about Gillmann going to Yale, or even seriously considering any school at any point besides SLU.

10 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Are people mixing Gillmann up with Reynolds (who apparently was recruited by Harvard at one point)? None of the Oakville people I know have ever mentioned anything about Gillmann going to Yale, or even seriously considering any school at any point besides SLU.

Maybe they just really want him to leave

5 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I've actually never heard of that and thought that was ridiculous so I looked it up and yes the Ivy's still do that. Basically the coach makes an argument and letter to the admissions office to get accepted and they can't sign any letter, a commitment is based on trust, so strictly verbal. Learn something everyday

The financial aid and scholarship packages for the athletes they want will always end up to be full rides, so while not called academic scholarships that is what they are, in effect. Only difference, if grades are maintained they can't get pulled after a year! So in the end, maybe they are a better alternative.

I transferred from a DI partial soccer scholarship to DIII powerhouse with a much better financial package, more playing time and quite frankly a better team. I am not sure on academic merit I deserved the scholarship. Just saying - black cat, white cat, they both catch the mouse (to quote Deng Xiaoping).