Defending 3pt attempts

ARon

Thinking of leaving the game to go home at look this up.  But maybe someone already knows.  How have Ford's teams ranked in the past at 3pt attempts allowed?

Not talking about makes, but attempts.  There seems to be little to no emphasis on stopping opponents from taking 3s, and not just in tonight's game.  As bad as this roster is, it doesn't seem to be just the players but the system.  

I personally don't think you can win that way nowadays but what do I know.

It didn't matter in today's game. There was a point tonight where Bonaventure was just running down the court, heaving up a 3, without a pass or running down the shot clock more than 3 seconds, and that's when they were up around 30. They had 19 attempts in the first half. If I was Ford I would have put bounties on some of those shooters. Hard foul gets an extra side dish from Pappys at the next team meal. 

11 hours ago, ARon said:

As an example, in the time it took me to type my original post St. Bonnie had no trouble getting open for 6 3pt attempts.

it will get better when the team gets quicker and bigger. its very hard to guard when you are as slow and unathletic and inexperienced as the Billikens are right now.

Ford is not RM, many Crews apologists have been yawning that crap for a long time, and sure, it is true. Great.

What is also true is that Crews has let his already bad players languish for three years. He didnt even teach them how to run an inbounds play.

You also can win that way.. You just have to score more points than the opponent.

Personally I think the Majerus mantra of Defend, Rebound is the way to go.

Check the rebounding numbers from the first half last night. You can't coach that kind of failure.

23 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

True. Is it not true that this isnt the highest rated recruiting class SLU has ever gotten since the recruit rating system became a thing?

ARon got destroyed.

On 1/18/2017 at 4:25 PM, ARon said:

This notion that Ford is above critcism simply because he is not Crews is going to get old fast.

Crews sucks.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:42 PM, ARon said:

Thinking of leaving the game to go home at look this up.  But maybe someone already knows.  How have Ford's teams ranked in the past at 3pt attempts allowed?

Not talking about makes, but attempts.  There seems to be little to no emphasis on stopping opponents from taking 3s, and not just in tonight's game.  As bad as this roster is, it doesn't seem to be just the players but the system.  

I personally don't think you can win that way nowadays but what do I know.

Here is Ford's record with OSU and UMass in defending the 3....I have included the Bills record during that time period for comparison.

.......................T Ford..............................SLU

2016-17.................C...................................same

2016....OSU...........C+..................................B............JC

2015.......................C..................................D+

2014.......................B...................................A+(7th in the nation)

2013.......................B..................................B-.............JC

2012.......................B+..................................A-...........RM

2011.......................C+...................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,C

2010.......................D....................................A+ (5th in the nation)

2009.......................C....................................A+..(3rd in the nation)

2008.....UMass........B-..................................D............RM

2007........................D+.................................C+..........BS

2006......UMass........B+..................................B...........BS

So in the previous 11 years defending the 3 pt shot,  spread over 2 teams, Ford has had 2 years worse,  2 years the same and 7 years better. So to answer your question...this year's  opponent 3 pt % (defending the 3)  is more on the team than Ford.

Using Ford 's history our 3 pt D should get better going forward though not up to RM levels.

36 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Here is Ford's record with OSU and UMass in defending the 3....I have included the Bills record during that time period for comparison.

.......................T Ford..............................SLU

2016-17.................C...................................same

2016....OSU...........C+..................................B............JC

2015.......................C..................................D+

2014.......................B...................................A+(7th in the nation)

2013.......................B..................................B-.............JC

2012.......................B+..................................A-...........RM

2011.......................C+...................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,C

2010.......................D....................................A+ (5th in the nation)

2009.......................C....................................A+..(3rd in the nation)

2008.....UMass........B-..................................D............RM

2007........................D+.................................C+..........BS

2006......UMass........B+..................................B...........BS

So in the previous 11 years defending the 3 pt shot,  spread over 2 teams, Ford has had 2 years worse,  2 years the same and 7 years better. So to answer your question...this year's  opponent 3 pt % (defending the 3)  is more on the team than Ford.

Using Ford 's history our 3 pt D should get better going forward though not up to RM levels.

Thanks for some real #s on the topic.

ill add(again) that Ford is the only one who could turn around this roster with this kind of speed and quality(based on ratings)

he is the right hire.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:42 PM, ARon said:
1 hour ago, ARon said:

Thanks for the numbers Wiz.  Is that 3pt% or 3pt attempts allowed (the original question)?

That is 3pt % defense.....Here is 3pt att defense

.............................T Ford.............................SLU

2016-17...................C...................................same

2016...OSU.............B-...................................F+......JC

2015.......................B.....................................B

2014.......................D+...................................A+.......15th in the nation

2013.......................D+...................................A+........10th......JC

2012........................C+..................................A+........6th.......RM

2011........................C+...................................A+........2nd

2010........................D+...................................A+........7th

2009.......OSU..........D+..................................A+..........14th

2008.....UMass.........C+.................................B+.............RM

2007.........................B+..................................D-............BS

2006.......UMass.......A-...................................B-............BS

So for Ford , his ability to prevent the 3 was a mixed bag over the years. However once the opponent took the shot the defense was much better.. In the case of RM...he was all about preventing the 3. Looking at this chart should give you a real appreciation of how good he was at his job.

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

That is 3pt % defense.....Here is 3pt att defense

.............................T Ford.............................SLU

2016-17...................C...................................same

2016...OSU.............B-...................................F+......JC

2015.......................B.....................................B

2014.......................D+...................................A+.......15th in the nation

2013.......................D+...................................A+........10th......JC

2012........................C+..................................A+........6th.......RM

2011........................C+...................................A+........2nd

2010........................D+...................................A+........7th

2009.......OSU..........D+..................................A+..........14th

2008.....UMass.........C+.................................B+.............RM

2007.........................B+..................................D-............BS

2006.......UMass.......A-...................................B-............BS

So for Ford , his ability to prevent the 3 was a mixed bag over the years. However once the opponent took the shot the defense was much better.. In the case of RM...he was all about preventing the 3. Looking at this chart should give you a real appreciation of how good he was at his job.

Thank you.  That kind of plays out how I thought it might when I made my original point.  Seems to be a real difference in defensive strategy.

I'm inclined to agree with the notion Ken Pomeroy has put out there.  There is only so much you can do to hold down an opponent's 3pt % and the most effective thing to do is focus on preventing them getting the shots up at all.  Even with the trade-off that it will hurt your interior D.

44 minutes ago, ARon said:

Thank you.  That kind of plays out how I thought it might when I made my original point.  Seems to be a real difference in defensive strategy.

I'm inclined to agree with the notion Ken Pomeroy has put out there.  There is only so much you can do to hold down an opponent's 3pt % and the most effective thing to do is focus on preventing them getting the shots up at all.  Even with the trade-off that it will hurt your interior D.

3point defense is most-improved after firing Jim Crews. He was really that bad, dude. Quit attacking Ford. Wiz has put up ratings depicting that Ford is pretty damn average on this metric you are trying to defame him with. Crews Crews Crews is the reason for all of the negatives on this team. Complain about what Henriquez and Bess and Graves etc. do, not based on Crews failure to teach players how to play with 3 years of potential teaching time.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

3point defense is most-improved after firing Jim Crews. He was really that bad, dude. Quit attacking Ford. Wiz has put up ratings depicting that Ford is pretty damn average on this metric you are trying to defame him with. Crews Crews Crews is the reason for all of the negatives on this team. Complain about what Henriquez and Bess and Graves etc. do, not based on Crews failure to teach players how to play with 3 years of potential teaching time.

You are ridiculous.  Crews was using RickMa system and RickMa's players.  To suggest a stat somehow doesn't count from that season is asinine.