Game Time Bonnies vs SLU

CBFan

Ya, ok the Bonnies won but, ya gotta like the second half play the Billikens had. And wow what a group of talent coming in next season for the Bills.

As always nice to hear from my SLU friends.

See you in Olean - no Polar Vortex this year - thank God for climate change!

Make America Great again beat Dayton

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Adams and mosley have to be the best guard tandem in the A10.    They are fun to watch.     

St Bonnie coach is a jackoff.  I think I hate him worse than any coach in the conference.   

Great to have the students back and a full band.    

Graves is small he better be rocket fast.

TY Graves is bigger then Mcbroom? 

All I have to say is this: When Travis Ford sat down we went on a run... He needs to not call a set play everytime down the floor. 

We make fun of Jim Crews but Ford is no RM ... He spends a lot of time thinking about his transfers. I need to see him Coach... he needs to make adjustments..game plan and motivate his players.  I don't want to see any Bobby Knight stair down.. that's not going to help Mike Crawford and Zeke Moore make a shot... 

27 minutes ago, CoachK said:

All I have to say is this: When Travis Ford sat down we went on a run... He needs to not call a set play everytime down the floor. 

We make fun of Jim Crews but Ford is no RM ... He spends a lot of time thinking about his transfers. I need to see him Coach... he needs to make adjustments..game plan and motivate his players.  I don't want to see any Bobby Knight stair down.. that's not going to help Mike Crawford and Zeke Moore make a shot... 

We went on a run when it was to the point, the other team was up so much, they quit playing. The stare downs I witnessed were because of complete lack of defense. I don't think Ford gave a fμck about if they took another shot with the piece of sh¡t defense that he was witnessing. He may need to call a play every time down the court, this group may need that direction, or they may become more lost then they already seem out there. Nobody is Rick Majerus but Rick. I'd love to hear Ford on the post game show tearing into the team like Rick used to do after every game his first year but Ford realizes he's actually coached these guys beyond their expected talent level and has gotten the beyond the absolute best out of this group. What he has accomplished with this team so far, on the court, is more than any of us expected, these guys are playing out of their minds, it's just too bad the ceiling is so low.

TRUST IN FORD✊

Second half was much better when Crawford was on the bench. No clue what Hines is thinking half of the time. Roby played well. Zeke was an absolute non factor and Welmer didnt do anything until the game was out of reach.

yeah yeah.. Hines is a walk on, no depth, blah blah.. where's the discipline? 

Should have played more man defense or at least put more pressure on the ball. The zone that was leaving Mobley open several times clearly wasn't working and Reggie and Welmer could not keep up.. I'm not quite sure I even understood what our defensive gameplan really was. Crawford got left in a trail of dust a few times and I am really struggling to see what role he plays. We could have played much better in the first half.

Dont blame the players or coach if you don't want to. You can play smarter defense, Crawford should be looking at the bench sooner, Hines only job should be to get the ball past half court and shoot a 3 if he's open. I will say no post game can be excused for lack of talent, but SBON didn't have size and we didn't even test them underneath.

Also.. Slow lazy passes, no helping each other under pressure.. talent or no talent you could can ask for more effort and team work. Everyone seems so focused on where they are "supposed to be" there's almost nobody actually playing the game.

To be clear I don't think we could have won this game, but I do think we could have done a hell of a lot better than a 46-15 first half.. it's nice to sit in the stands and look down at the crew wearing black sweats praying they are the answer.

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Graves is small he better be rocket fast.

He's a jet with major hops. Cats wish they were as quick as him. Probably not as many as old as I am on this board but he reminds me of a great ABA then NBA point guard named Mack Calvin. Calvin had a 12 year career, averaged 16 a game and at times was unguardable. Racked up some terrific stats in the wide open ABA. You've got to be excited about Ty Graves.

8 hours ago, brownindians said:

Make America Great again beat Dayton

My answer to that brownindians is: with what? 

I have said it before, unless we can manage to get Gillmann and or Neufeld playing in a minimally productive fashion, we just do not have the healthy bodies necessary to win. A win or a loss depends upon how well Crawford and Agbeko manage to play any particular day. This is at best unpredictable and at worst completely dependent upon the degree of deterioration of Crawford's legs. I do not think we will make America Great again by beating Dayton, not this season.

And yes, of course I am aware that Ford appears to think that there is no point in giving playing minutes to either Gillmann or Neufeld. 

7 hours ago, CoachK said:

Disagree, in the first half the players had no idea what to do on offense or defense.

The second half adjustments worked and the play was better.

Coach Ford has done a good job motivating and coaching, there are set plays that work and inbound plays that do not have to go to half court all of the time.

It is on Mike Crawford and Zeke Moore to fix their shots they had wide open shots they are missing both players are in a horrible shooting funk this season.

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Disagree, in the first half the players had no idea what to do on offense or defense.

The second half adjustments worked and the play was better.

I agree.  The staff had not prepared this team.  Schmidt outcoached Ford in the first half, stopping everything we tried to do.  The staff made adjustments at the half with a much better result.  Ford admitted they were "still in Fairfax" when the game started.   

8 hours ago, CoachK said:

you are an idiot, drunk, most likely both.

were you watching that?

noone could coach this team.

how dare you go after Ford for what happened out there. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

He is making the adjustments necessary, and those are adjustments in the roster.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree.  The staff had not prepared this team.  Schmidt outcoached Ford in the first half, stopping everything we tried to do.  The staff made adjustments at the half with a much better result.  Ford admitted they were "still in Fairfax" when the game started.   

Still carrying the banner for Jimmy C. i see.

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

you are an idiot, drunk, most likely both.

were you watching that?

noone could coach this team.

how dare you go after Ford for what happened out there. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

He is making the adjustments necessary, and those are adjustments in the roster.

+1 made me laugh and I say both

7 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

We went on a run when it was to the point, the other team was up so much, they quit playing. The stare downs I witnessed were because of complete lack of defense. I don't think Ford gave a fμck about if they took another shot with the piece of sh¡t defense that he was witnessing. He may need to call a play every time down the court, this group may need that direction, or they may become more lost then they already seem out there. Nobody is Rick Majerus but Rick. I'd love to hear Ford on the post game show tearing into the team like Rick used to do after every game his first year but Ford realizes he's actually coached these guys beyond their expected talent level and has gotten the beyond the absolute best out of this group. What he has accomplished with this team so far, on the court, is more than any of us expected, these guys are playing out of their minds, it's just too bad the ceiling is so low.

TRUST IN FORD✊

I was at the game. This is an accurate description. I spent all 40 minutes watching the team. Opening tip to final buzzer. Schmidt exploded in the second half..threw his clipboard during a timeout at one point. absolutely enraged at his team. The Bonnies had 0 effort for most of the 2nd half.. when the Bills got back within 14, Bonawelding crushed the billiken run at will.. it was not a competitive game.

Roy is also accurate in describing Mark Schmidt.

12 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Has there been a more precipitous fall in the history of College Basketball?

Have any armchair historians done this analysis?

2nd round NCAAs to landing D3 recruits.  Sad! ?

Carbondale?

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

He's a jet with major hops. Cats wish they were as quick as him. Probably not as many as old as I am on this board but he reminds me of a great ABA then NBA point guard named Mack Calvin. Calvin had a 12 year career, averaged 16 a game and at times was unguardable. Racked up some terrific stats in the wide open ABA. You've got to be excited about Ty Graves.

I could care less about how tall he is. I just hope he can play. I'm especially not fixated on the size of guards. We did pretty well with Mitchell and McCall... those guys usually schooled bigger guards. 

-for those on Reggie, there were times he was open and we didn't or couldn't make the pass, his first touch in the lane was well into the first half but overall in the first half we showed no clue on either end of the floor and the score proved it

-such a let down after Mason, but now the key is the next game and more importantly next season

12 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

TRUST IN FORD✊

Wow.. I must have really gotten you upset. No need to Cus me out... I am just a loyal fan sharing my opinions. 

We can sit behind this blog and blast those players and it is ok. All I am saying is this. Ford got fired from OKLAHOMA States for not getting it done. He won 1 game in six ncaa appearance. He might have gotten there because he is an excellent recruiter. But to say he is an  excellent Coach is incorrect. 

Yes.. we might not have the talent as you would like. But good coaches get there teams to compete. Good coaches concentrate on the task at hand. You guys and Ford can't wait until next year team. I think you will be really disappointed to see us struggle to stay above 500. And Goodwin will be our saviour.

Basketball is a Team sport ... building a team with a group of Transfers that could not make it at there old school is not the ideal situation. Don't get me wrong.. I think we will better.. but where are we really going with this program? Will he be here long term? 

In other words... I would of liked to see someone who is much proven as a coach to get the slu job. Sorry! 

Bring Jim Crews back!!! Lol ?

15 minutes ago, CoachK said:

Wow.. I must have really gotten you upset. No need to Cus me out... I am just a loyal fan sharing my opinions. 

We can sit behind this blog and blast those players and it is ok. All I am saying is this. Ford got fired from OKLAHOMA States for not getting it done. He won 1 game in six ncaa appearance. He might have gotten there because he is an excellent recruiter. But to say he is an  excellent Coach is incorrect. 

Yes.. we might not have the talent as you would like. But good coaches get there teams to compete. Good coaches concentrate on the task at hand. You guys and Ford can't wait until next year team. I think you will be really disappointed to see us struggle to stay above 500. And Goodwin will be our saviour.

Basketball is a Team sport ... building a team with a group of Transfers that could not make it at there old school is not the ideal situation. Don't get me wrong.. I think we will better.. but where are we really going with this program? Will he be here long term? 

In other words... I would of liked to see someone who is much proven as a coach to get the slu job. Sorry! 

Bring Jim Crews back!!! Lol ?

Often that line is a tip off that you are dealing with a troll... ;)... carry on.

I was hoping that Ford would be able to coach these guys up a bit and we would get better results than Crews.  Clearly that has not happened.  Why it has not happened is up for debate.  I'm not ready to proclaim that Ford can't coach simply because he can't make this group win.  That would be completely unfair.  We need to judge his coaching abilities starting in the second year of having his players.  He gets a pass for the first year since it's a whole new group of guys coming together.  We should temper or expectation for next season.

19 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I was hoping that Ford would be able to coach these guys up a bit and we would get better results than Crews.  Clearly that has not happened.  Why it has not happened is up for debate.  I'm not ready to proclaim that Ford can't coach simply because he can't make this group win.  That would be completely unfair.  We need to judge his coaching abilities starting in the second year of having his players.  He gets a pass for the first year since it's a whole new group of guys coming together.  We should temper or expectation for next season.

Amazingly, we have even less talent this year than we did under Crews during the past 2 years.  Losing Ash, in particular, has hurt us.  Add an injury to Bishop (I still think he's our best player) and regression from Crawford, and you get the mess we're currently seeing. 

I'm not smart enough to know if Ford is a good game-manager at this point, but I've seen him draw up some nice plays throughout the year to get guys open looks. They just don't make them enough.