St. B over the Bills by11

The Wiz

First, a great win by the Bills over GM. This moves us up to D-. Never thought I would be celebrating D- but I am thankful for small miracles. The win was definitely an upset ( beating a team at least 2 letter grades higher) Don't know if we will be able to stay there but I will enjoy it while it lasts. Btw, I give full credit to Ford for this win....it could have easily gone down the drain once GM took the lead with 4 min to go..

Now we move on to St. B ( B+ ). As you can see by the grade and the spread things aren't going to be easier.  St. B is a great offensive team lead by one of the best guard combinations in the country....Adams...13th in the nation in scoring ...22ppg  48/40/81 ...and Mobley 54th itn...20 ppg 44/40/ 84...Great slash lines for both. BTW those that are lamenting next years lack of depth...St. B shows what you can do with just 2 players.  If we have 5 good players next year ...we will be fine. So do we have a chance on this game...Yes, ...St. B defense is so so.The have a great defense close in that fades as you move away from the basket.   Going from A- near the basket to F from the arc. Which bring us to a question, I asked earlier for a different game....If St. B leaves us alone at the arc can we make 3s? If the answer is yes...then we can win.  Of course we will need to continue our positive trend in TOs.  . Last game we had a fab 7TOs. And more importantly for only the 2nd time this season, we had less TOs than the opponent.  

Bottom line....40 min of B-ball ...Low TOs plus even or better on the differential... hit some 3s ...some tight D on their guards...add a  a little momentum from last game..  In other words ...Do what you did last game and we have a chance to win.

As always I come in Peace. 

Nice win over GM !

The B plus grade is ok. The Bonnies are without St Louis native Courtney Stockard again this season - he broke the same ankle as last year as the season started. Also, 'Cuse transfer Chino Okobola. 

I wouldn't doubt that Jay Adams will not play - ankle sprain. It will be a Coach's game time decision. I think he's looking for Sophmore Nelson Kaputo to get game time play. 

The Bonnies are sneaky good. Mobley is a 3 machine, Taqee is the glue guy, Freshman Ayeni is the real deal if he doesn't get in to early foul trouble. Denzel Gregg is a pro in training. They have the best bench strength in years even though they play sparringly.

The Billikens can't let the game get out of hand early, they can't foul or it's game over by the end of the first half. And if Adams does play you will be watching one of the best guards in the country!

Make America Great Again - Beat Dayton!

5 minutes ago, brownindians said:

As always I come in Pease ! 

Nice win over GM !

The B plus grade is ok. The Bonnies are without St Louis native Courtney Stockard again this season - he broke the same ankle as last year as the season started. Also, 'Cuse transfer Chino Okobola. 

I wouldn't doubt that Jay Adams will not play - ankle sprain. It will be a Coach's game time decision. I think he's looking for Sophmore Nelson Kaputo to get game time play. 

The Bonnies are sneaky good. Mobley is a 3 machine, Taqee is the glue guy, Freshman Ayeni is the real deal if he doesn't get in to early foul trouble. Denzel Gregg is a pro in training. They have the best bench strength in years even though they play sparringly.

The Billikens can't let the game get out of hand early, they can't foul or it's game over by the end of the first half. And if Adams does play you will be watching one of the best guards in the country!

Don't care...

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, brownindians said:

As always I come in Peace. 

Nice win over GM !

Thank you for the scouting report I enjoy your yearly posts.

If SLU plays a zone it appears that someone like Mobley can shoot SLU out of it.

It would be nice if the game comes down to the last shot again.

Well there was good news and bad news in this game....

Good news..........................................................................................................Bad news

We beat them in the 2nd half................................................................................We lost the game with a terrible 1st half.

We out shot one of the best FT shooting teams in the country 91%-59%.........They still had 3 more FTs than us because they had twice  the  FTAs

We stopped their star Adams..13 pts..30 25/55...............................He still burned us ....13pts +14 asts...was involved in 41 pts

41/38 /91...pretty good......................................................................................not good enough..45/41/ 59

TOs ...only 2 in the 2nd half...12 overall..pretty good......................not good enough...9 for Bonnies..and any time you gave up 10 in a half it is almost always a loss.

We shot 69%  2pt shots.in the 2nd half.....................................................8% in the 1st half

Bottomline...all about 40 min of basketball...tonight only 20 min.

Tick ....tick...tick...7 weeks

Before the game Crawford spent some practice time at one of the corners, by the entrance to the lockers, just stretching his legs. I think his legs may be getting progressively worse. Crawford not playing the whole second half may not have been an issue with how he was playing but an issue about his legs. I really do not believe his legs will last the full season. Maybe Ford is trying to spare some wear and tear to his legs by benching him, maybe that is why his scoring was so bad last night, maybe that is one of the reasons why the first half was so bad last night. All of this is somewhat speculative but nevertheless, there is a reason for everything. Crawford's performance did deteriorate since the prior game. Again, this is speculative but if one of the primary players of a team starts deteriorating like he is, can the team (particularly a team with as few effective players as we have this season) really play better? Certainly Moore has not been capable of filling the void left by a deteriorating Crawford, not yet anyways.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Before the game Crawford spent some practice time at one of the corners, by the entrance to the lockers, just stretching his legs. I think his legs may be getting progressively worse. Crawford not playing the whole second half may not have been an issue with how he was playing but an issue about his legs. I really do not believe his legs will last the full season. Maybe Ford is trying to spare some wear and tear to his legs by benching him, maybe that is why his scoring was so bad last night, maybe that is one of the reasons why the first half was so bad last night. All of this is somewhat speculative but nevertheless, there is a reason for everything. Crawford's performance did deteriorate since the prior game. Again, this is speculative but if one of the primary players of a team starts deteriorating like he is, can the team (particularly a team with as few effective players as we have this season) really play better? Certainly Moore has not been capable of filling the void left by a deteriorating Crawford, not yet anyways.

Crawford has not been good all year.

Crawford is an exemplary student and a tremendous representative for the university and for St Louis, and especially for Tipton.

Anyone who doesnt like Mike can F off. He embodies the best parts of the college game.. except of course for his shooting this year.

This team misses Yacoubou badly. there is 0 inside threat, even compared to last years abysmal performance. The team is much worse.

it doesnt matter because the Billikens have not been competitive for three years now.

the Billikens played harder in the second half, but Bonawelding spent 15 minutes of the 2nd sleepwalking. It was a bad, bad, bad game.

Soderball, I truly respect Crawford. I respect his courage and his commitment to give his all even when called upon to do more than he can. He is indeed a good student, and furthermore he deserves our complete respect and admiration. That said, his leg is deteriorating, it has been doing so all season but it has reached a bad point. Crawford's leg has nothing to do with Crawford the man, he is just not capable to do what he is called upon to do, not any longer. This is no flaw with the man, it is a problem with his legs. In all likelihood Crawford may have a few good games left in this season, the rest of the games he will be a marginal player. Again, not because of what he wants to but but because of what he can do with his physical capabilities, which are and continue deteriorating. It is not a matter of disliking the guy in any way, it is a matter of assessing his dwindling physical capability to play.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Soderball, I truly respect Crawford. I respect his courage and his commitment to give his all even when called upon to do more than he can. He is indeed a good student, and furthermore he deserves our complete respect and admiration. That said, his leg is deteriorating, it has been doing so all season but it has reached a bad point. Crawford's leg has nothing to do with Crawford the man, he is just not capable to do what he is called upon to do, not any longer. This is no flaw with the man, it is a problem with his legs. In all likelihood Crawford may have a few good games left in this season, the rest of the games he will be a marginal player. Again, not because of what he wants to but but because of what he can do with his physical capabilities, which are and continue deteriorating. It is not a matter of disliking the guy in any way, it is a matter of assessing his dwindling physical capability to play.

Hopefully he will be up for Duq in Chaifetz, and for senior night.

I didnt claim you were going after Mike, merely building him up because he really is a great student-athlete.

your assessment of his legs is highly accurate..his shot has all the marks of having no legs.. starts going off center the moment it leaves his hands, based on the few shots that ive seen at an angle that allows me to assess. He didnt shoot like that earlier in his career.

Ultimately it has less relevance due to how bad the team is overall. He went 3-for-17 in a game recently.. He is just not a good player right now, and is enraged by how his career has gone.. Crews nailed him.

Hope he can pull out one more good one m, and in Chaifetz.. Giving him more rest is a good move, if indeed that is what Ford is doing.. hard to achieve on a roster with now 6 players. I doubt Bishop will see the court again this year. He was in black last night.

The season is lost and we only go 7 players deep anyway. All of our players will have to play major minutes. We might as well get used to seeing them all out on the court even if they can't shoot, they're turning it over, can't rebound, can't pass, take stupid shots, etc. I hope Mike and Reggie finish their careers strong. I'm sure starting your career with an A10 championship and ending it with 6 or 7 wins is a nightmare. Out of everyone who had to suffer with Crews for multiple years, those 2 seem to have taken the highest road.

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The season is lost and we only go 7 players deep anyway. All of our players will have to play major minutes. We might as well get used to seeing them all out on the court even if they can't shoot, they're turning it over, can't rebound, can't pass, take stupid shots, etc. I hope Mike and Reggie finish their careers strong. I'm sure starting your career with an A10 championship and ending it with 6 or 7 wins is a nightmare. Out of everyone who had to suffer with Crews for multiple years, those 2 seem to have taken the highest road.

Those two deserve an absolutely tremendous show of support on senior night.

48 minutes ago, Old guy said:

-the bold/underlined is it, these players are being asked to be first, second, third options when, no fault of their own, they don't have that ability/skill...........let's just try to endure this season, it will get better next season

One last thing on this game...

It seems to me that St. B  was rubbing it in at the end. With 31 sec left in the game and a 15 point lead they could have wound the clock down...Instead they shot early,  made the basket, stole the ball and with 1 sec left in the game ...jam time ...major dunk. Seems like a bit of showboating. 

Duly noted and while we may not be able to fix it on Feb 8 (next St. B meeting) ...It will be fixed next year.

Remember

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

RMA would be so pissed at Crawford.  Crawford has taken more deep 2's, I mean like back heel on the 3 point line, then I have ever seen anyone take.  

HATE to borrow a 1/3 of a phrase. I would get the Grawer hook out for anyone shooting 2' inside the circle unless shot and or game clock is about to expire. Been saying that since they put in the 3 pt rule. seems obvious 

56 minutes ago, wgstl said:

RMA would be so pissed at Crawford.  Crawford has taken more deep 2's, I mean like back heel on the 3 point line, then I have ever seen anyone take.  

RM would have the whole team holding towels during timeouts if he was forced to coach a team this bad. Majerus never had to deal with anything like this in his career.

On January 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM, The Wiz said:

One last thing on this game...

It seems to me that St. B  was rubbing it in at the end. With 31 sec left in the game and a 15 point lead they could have wound the clock down...Instead they shot early,  made the basket, stole the ball and with 1 sec left in the game ...jam time ...major dunk. Seems like a bit of showboating. 

Duly noted and while we may not be able to fix it on Feb 8 (next St. B meeting) ...It will be fixed next year.

Remember

Thought something similar throughout the game. Did we ever run them out of the gym when we were good? Like 30+? It seemed as if Schmidt was motivated to

run it up. There were walk-ons that didn't get out of their warm ups.

10 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Thought something similar throughout the game. Did we ever run them out of the gym when we were good? Like 30+? It seemed as if Schmidt was motivated to

run it up. There were walk-ons that didn't get out of their warm ups.

This is our 12th year in the A-10....we have only beat the Bonnies 5 times ... 3 close games by a few pts....1 by 10pts and in 2012 ...by 24pts.  I was not even talking about the point spread...It just seemed to me that with a 15 pt lead and 30 sec left St. B  "needed"  to score 4 pts and a showboat dunk with 1 sec left in the game....Vegas was not an issue as their spread was 11 1/2

Just saying....