Getting Better

DoctorB

I've been as down on this group about as much as anyone (my prediction for final record was 6-26);  but even Helen Keller could see that there is some important improvement underway.

I'm posting this for a couple of reasons:  1. Coach Ford and staff are not only making some decent progress with a pretty thin cabinet of talent; but insisting on hard work and fighting for wins;  2.  The players are working hard;  & 3.  I'm getting sick of all the predictions on here about who should or could transfer, since they are all lost causes.  The impatience is staggering.  Just a reminder: players do often get better in sports!!

I also think some posters undervalue having some veteran experience, just in terms of running drills and entering a "culture" of a team.  Coach Ford and staff are showing us what a great hire he was--not just recruiting, either; but now turning these players (slowly, yes) into a cohesive team.  There were many very loud doubts about all that.  As for transfers:  I do believe some players will feel it's not the right fit for them; & we will trim a spot or 2 next year, but most everyone will be back -- and stronger, and better.  JJ has a lot of work to do, lifting and filling out;  but, to take the latest shining example --  if you are not witnessing the terrific improvement he's made in 2 months, you aren't paying attention.  It may not be much, but we may even win more than 6 games Woohooo!  that is all.

I agree with what you say. Ford is proving that he is capable of making lemonade when given lemons. He is a good coach, period, not just a good recruiter. I think he is showing just how good he is / how good he is going to be to all of us. Hell, we just beat a team ranking in the second or third spot within A10. We did it with Hines playing for the whole game and making only 1 TO, JJ and his stellar performance, plus all the others rising up to the occasion as well. I would wish to see at least some improvement in Gillmann and Neufeld before the end of the season, but we will see about this for sure. Yes, we may win more than 6 games this season. Again we will see.

Anybody who could not see the upside on JJ when you first saw him is very poor judge of talent.  I agree he has improved and by the end of the year he will be even better.  Some on the board believe that unless you are in the top 5 then you have little value by some of their comments - "I would be OK if all of Crew's recruits left" as an example.  I agree that Roby while not a great player does bring a value to the team for next year - his senior season.  I also believe that it would be best for Neufeld to look for better options - he seems like a nice kid who just is misplaced.  As far as Gilmann goes - he is another one who is seems like a good kid but just has been misplaced -now he will be a senior next year and if he chooses to stay then fine.  I don't think Ford will kick him out - Ford seems like a guy who does care for his players.  Zeke will be fine but he will have to really improve if he wants more than just a handful of playing minutes a game. Welmer is another one who has value and I would not be happy if he left - he may not start next year but he will play some meaningful time. Bishop, while not a KM, MM or JJ, has value also.  He will play some meaningful minutes also if he is happy to not start - if not then he needs to what is best for him but I would like to see him stay.   Clearly, nobody will have a starting job locked up next year - it will be an open tryout and that can be a very good thing.  With each game that is played this year I get more and more excited about the team's future.

Johnson and Welmer would be the only ones I'd be upset to see leave. I think Moore and Bishop could play nice roles but I don't think they have the upside (Johnson) or fit (Welmer as a stretch big and shot blocker) as the others. I wish Neufeld luck. Gillmann and Roby can stay and enjoy success as bench players as a reward for putting up with Crews and Platt but I wouldnt be upset if they left if we can find transfers or late signees who will make us better down the line.

most good teams seem to have a few players at the end of the bench that never play. Once we've given a scholarship I feel they should be able to stay if they are team players and don't get into trouble. We should be deep enough going forward that we can have a few stiffs watching and hi fiving along with the walk on Greek.

36 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think mn getting extremely limited minutes on a REALLY bad team is due to the fact that ford would rather run MN off, than pull his scholarship.

So you think he is good enough to play more minutes? - what have you seen that others are completely missing?  I agree that his lack of ability is keeping him on the bench but don't lay that on Ford.

This was a good week for Billikens basketball.

Fred Thatch commits, close game against Duquesne, and a win against George Mason, a breakout game for Jalen Johnson and our bigs all had solid offensive numbers.

Coach Ford so far is showing he can coach and is a motivator that I hoped for.  With Coach Underwood Oklahoma state is 0-5 in the big 12 with loses to West Virgina, at Texas, at Baylor, Iowa State, and at KU.  Could it be possible that coach Ford struggled because the Big 12 is a good basketball conference?

Davell Roby, Mike Crawford, and Reggie Agbeko have played hard and I look forward to seeing Davell get a chance to play with better talent in his senior season, I hope he enjoys his senior season because I think he has earned it.

I look forward to seeing Jermaine Bishop back on the court this season and I hope he stays to help round out the team.  Jermaine will look a whole lot better with better talent around him.

There will be more frustrating games ahead and players I have mentioned will struggle but many of us felt they would not win a conference game so for those posters this team has already exceeded those expectations.

38 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So you think he is good enough to play more minutes? - what have you seen that others are completely missing?  I agree that his lack of ability is keeping him on the bench but don't lay that on Ford.

No no no. Hes horrible, on a horrible team, but hes only a sohomore. You dont get any better if you dont play. I think MN is awful, but i also think tford is purposely denying him a chance. Which circles back to my OP 

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

No no no. Hes horrible, on a horrible team, but hes only a sohomore. You dont get any better if you dont play. I think MN is awful, but i also think tford is purposely denying him a chance. Which circles back to my OP 

I think, as others have pointed out, that it was just a poor matchup for the seven-footers on this team, because Mason played four guards.  I didn't see the game, but from what I heard, the Bills threw in a defensive wrinkle that our centers don't have the agility to execute.  But they'll still play when the matchups dictate; I don't think Coach Ford was trying to send them a message.  Well, at least not the message, "You should leave."  They should interpret the unspoken message of not playing yesterday as impetus to improve their footwork and agility (if they can) in order to turn their height into an advantage.

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think, as others have pointed out, that it was just a poor matchup for the seven-footers on this team, because Mason played four guards.  I didn't see the game, but from what I heard, the Bills threw in a defensive wrinkle that our centers don't have the agility to execute.  But they'll still play when the matchups dictate; I don't think Coach Ford was trying to send them a message.  Well, at least not the message, "You should leave."  They should interpret the unspoken message of not playing yesterday as impetus to improve their footwork and agility (if they can) in order to turn their height into an advantage.

Neufeld and Gillmann are each averaging about 6 minutes per game.  They are smart college students.  They know their status.  I agree, yesterday was not  'a message'.  It was a simple continuation of what has been going on the first half of the year.  They know what they have to do to earn more playing time.  Can they do it is another question. 

Lot of opinions on this board, but that is what message boards are about.  The only opinion that matters is Coach Ford's.  

9 hours ago, DoctorB said:

I've been as down on this group about as much as anyone (my prediction for final record was 6-26);  but even Helen Keller could see that there is some important improvement underway.

I'm posting this for a couple of reasons:  1. Coach Ford and staff are not only making some decent progress with a pretty thin cabinet of talent; but insisting on hard work and fighting for wins;  2.  The players are working hard;  & 3.  I'm getting sick of all the predictions on here about who should or could transfer, since they are all lost causes.  The impatience is staggering.  Just a reminder: players do often get better in sports!!

I also think some posters undervalue having some veteran experience, just in terms of running drills and entering a "culture" of a team.  Coach Ford and staff are showing us what a great hire he was--not just recruiting, either; but now turning these players (slowly, yes) into a cohesive team.  There were many very loud doubts about all that.  As for transfers:  I do believe some players will feel it's not the right fit for them; & we will trim a spot or 2 next year, but most everyone will be back -- and stronger, and better.  JJ has a lot of work to do, lifting and filling out;  but, to take the latest shining example --  if you are not witnessing the terrific improvement he's made in 2 months, you aren't paying attention.  It may not be much, but we may even win more than 6 games Woohooo!  that is all.

Good post.  #4 for me is "Welmer is a 21 year old freshman".  We need to get rid of him cause he's too old.  Geeezzzzzz.