GM vs SLU GDT

CBFan

6 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Kenpom had an article yesterday saying that we had the highest % chance of any team to go winless in conference

I suspect that dubious honor now goes to Missouri.

6 hours ago, DiehardFan said:

The only thing that makes me feel better about this season is to remember Majerus' first season. It was brutal at times. I remember the cheers when Willie Reed actually made a free throw. The crowd looked really bad because we were still in Scottrade then. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Willie Reed (and Conklin, Cassity, Mitchell, et al) didn't arrive until RickMa's second season.

4 hours ago, Westy03 said:

Haven't watched the video, but from looking at the preview thumbnail, I find it amazing that Travis Ford played high-level college basketball at his stature!

3 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Bishop is without a doubt an improvement over Hines. If Hines misses that jacked 3 (which was early in the shot clock), I'm not sure we're celebrating a W. Definite hat tip to the kid for playing all 40 mins though. That's big time

Hines came out at least once, so he didn't play the entire game.  I guess rounding up got him to 40 minutes.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

As someone else pointed out, while the trend is up on JJ, but Zeke is headed south.  My fear remains that given he is a Crewsplatt recruit, that's not good.  He shows promise but his supposed strength was as a shooter and a scorer and that part of his game remains undiscovered.  He is athletic, but that's all I got on him.  Still time to improve and show me but not holding my breath just yet.  He looks smooth out there but there are no results.

Freshmen tend to be up-and-down.  I wouldn't write Zeke Moore off just yet.  I also wouldn't thrust stardom on Jalen Johnson's shoulders yet, either.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little refresher on today's star first signing by new coach who has gone on in next 10 months to be best recruiter in school history (obviously small sample size but man what a sample) from our roster page:

Prep
• Prepped at University Laboratory School in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
• Helped the Cubs to a Louisiana Class 3A State Championship in 2015-16.

• Averaged 21.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.4 assists as a senior for U-High, which posted a 31-4 record. 
• Tabbed MVP of the title game after scoring 28 points on 9-of-12 shooting from the field.
• Louisiana Class 3A Outstanding Player of the Year by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association.
• All-Metro selection.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

A little refresher on today's star first signing by new coach who has gone on in next 10 months to be best recruiter in school history (obviously small sample size but man what a sample) from our roster page:

Prep
• Prepped at University Laboratory School in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
• Helped the Cubs to a Louisiana Class 3A State Championship in 2015-16.

• Averaged 21.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.4 assists as a senior for U-High, which posted a 31-4 record. 
• Tabbed MVP of the title game after scoring 28 points on 9-of-12 shooting from the field.
• Louisiana Class 3A Outstanding Player of the Year by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association.
• All-Metro selection.

IMG_4541.JPG

All I'm saying thicks is Moore's showing to date is weak.  He's playing over a half a game, shooting 29.6% overall and 31.9% from three. Aaron Hines has better percentages.  He leads the team, Bishop not withstanding,in FT% but won't get to the line because you don't foul a jump shooter.  He's nearly 1-to-1 in assists to turnovers with 16 and 12.  On the plus side,he looks athletic and eager to learn.   But as Ron Thompson said yesterday, they aren't freshmen anymore.  

As the tryouts for next year continue, I see Welmer and Johnson in.  Moore likely but with Goodwin, Graves, Henriquez and maybe Bishop in the 1/2 spots, Zeke is not trending up far enough to supplant break into the four-man rotation.  Again, that could change. More learning to come as the season wears on.

-like I guess many others on here I was really into yesterday's game, had to talk a bartender into finding the channel, had no sound but that was okay, a really nice win, probably much needed to maintain the psyche of the group, I was tired after watching and elated with the result, it felt like winning a tournament game, I can hardly wait for the good times

-the team has made progress, playing better now than we were in November, I will give credit to the staff and the kids, keep it going

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

All I'm saying thicks is Moore's showing to date is weak.  He's playing over a half a game, shooting 29.6% overall and 31.9% from three. Aaron Hines has better percentages.  He leads the team, Bishop not withstanding,in FT% but won't get to the line because you don't foul a jump shooter.  He's nearly 1-to-1 in assists to turnovers with 16 and 12.  On the plus side,he looks athletic and eager to learn.   But as Ron Thompson said yesterday, they aren't freshmen anymore.  

As the tryouts for next year continue, I see Welmer and Johnson in.  Moore likely but with Goodwin, Graves, Henriquez and maybe Bishop in the 1/2 spots, Zeke is not trending up far enough to supplant break into the four-man rotation.  Again, that could change. More learning to come as the season wears on.

Again, he's just a freshman; struggling a bit now doesn't mean he has no future.  And comments along the lines of "they aren't freshmen any more" halfway through the season are downright stupid.  Maybe they've learned and improved from the beginning of the season up until whatever point it is when the analyst makes the statement, but so have the sophomores, juniors, and seniors.  Comparatively, they're still one to four years behind the others.  Only the next year can it accurately be said that they're no longer freshmen.

10 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I wasn't aware that Ford already listed his rotation for next year.  Soderballs has already stated that Bishop won't be back.  So do you guys have some insight the rest of us don't?

2 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

While officially not a turnover, the out of control forced layups that barely touch the backboard or rim are effectively the same thing as a turnover. Hines has 5 or 6 a game. 

Those drive us all crazy, but he does make some of those drives. If he could look to dish more on those it could really improve his game. He has a nice jump shot and appears to be a decent defender. He is contributing far more than any walk on than I can remember. He may not be as good as John Redden and his all tournament  performance at the miracle in Memphis, but he is a big asset and we wouldn't have won without him.