Coach's Show

Billboy1

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Majerus shows were classic. Rammer would get maybe one or two questions in and then Coach would have a 30 minute response weaving in food and personal stories into his answer.  I remember I used to keep a pen and paper handy to write down Coach's recommended STL restaurant's and dishes off of menus.  The best ever rec was the Ciopinno at LoRusso's Cucina.

19 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-some didn't like the shows, I thought listening to Rick was an entertaining learning experience, miss it

It was much better than "coachspeak," of which I believe someone else has pointed out that Ford is a master.

When I covered high school sports using a typewriter, we used to have an entire lexicon of coachspeak that we jokingly said could be injected into any article we wrote. "I'm proud of our kids...they played our game." "We just weren't ready to play today." "We lacked mental toughness," "I'll tell you, ______ is a well-coached team."

Which is why, when Dick McDonald used to let go gems like, "If we get a few wins under our belt, you'll start to see our record improve," it was like a breath of fresh air. And much later, Majerus was the Hunter S. Thompson of coach trains-of-thought.

On 1/9/2017 at 4:14 PM, Cowboy said:

-some didn't like the shows, I thought listening to Rick was an entertaining learning experience, miss it

The shows were awesome. In addition to the rambling tangents, if you stuck with it, he would deliver some great basketball insights. I was just a kid at the time, but my memories of Spoon was that he also was very entertaining and a great storyteller, but rarely gave good basketball-related info.  To his credit, Ford has been very eager to get out there. He has great energy and enthusiasm, but is probably going to stick with coach-speak. Also, makes good use of social media, which you have to do these days.

Ok, seriously, he thinks the team spending a week together on the road was a factor in the win.  Complements to Johnson for being back into the gym Sunday morning after a late arrival back home.  Says Welmer has good post moves and wants to do better getting the ball to him where he can exploit them.

He is minimizing practice time due to injuries and lack of personnel.

Commercial time.  Taking questions on twitter, if you have an account.

Coach says the support at Chaifetz has been fantastic.  [That seems strange as this season looks like the all time low average for the Jewel.] Said the team talked about the enthusiastic crowd against Davidson.

Q's:  Home and home v Mizzou.  Said it has been discussed, game makes sense, but many complications including Illini game.  No new news. Rammer poo-poo'ed the comment that it might hurt recruiting. 

Bishop:  High ankle sprain, per Rammer.  Still in a boot.  Rehabbing hard every day.  No time table for his return.   

Recruits:   Didn't set out to get transfers originally.   Bess - most improved shooter on the team this year, will be a 'stat guy'.  Wants him to be a leader next year.  Foreman, - 6'7.5", brings grown man stuff - wants him to expand his game. 

Henriquez - maybe one of the top three scorers Ford has coached.  6'7".  One of the best passers on the team. 

Graves - quick, plays multiple positions, 5'10", lives in the gym, has a true jump shot. 

fun hearing all this, great reading all this, can't wait till we get to see all this. A really good shooter can make up for a lot of shtty b ball from a fan's point of view.

of course same person saying he has the 3rd best shooter he's coached is impressed with our understandably lame attendance. truthiness mor palatable than facts. why does that sound so familiar?

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach says the support at Chaifetz has been fantastic.  [That seems strange as this season looks like the all time low average for the Jewel.] Said the team talked about the enthusiastic crowd against Davidson.

Q's:  Home and home v Mizzou.  Said it has been discussed, game makes sense, but many complications including Illini game.  No new news. Rammer poo-poo'ed the comment that it might hurt recruiting. 

Bishop:  High ankle sprain, per Rammer.  Still in a boot.  Rehabbing hard every day.  No time table for his return.   

Recruits:   Didn't set out to get transfers originally.   Bess - most improved shooter on the team this year, will be a 'stat guy'.  Wants him to be a leader next year.  Foreman, - 6'7.5", brings grown man stuff - wants him to expand his game. 

Henriquez - maybe one of the top three scorers Ford has coached.  6'7".  One of the best passers on the team. 

Graves - quick, plays multiple positions, 5'10", lives in the gym, has a true jump shot. 

I only caught the tail end of a comment in which he mentioned one of the guys routinely dunks from every way possible. Who was he referring to?

11 minutes ago, almaman said:

same person saying he has the 3rd best shooter he's coached is impressed with our understandably lame attendance. truthiness mor palatable than facts. why does that sound so familiar?

I'm impressed with our attendance this season. I would have not guessed to see the crowds we have, thus far, with the product we have had on the court.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I am sure attendance is down this year from previous years - although it will be interesting to see the actual totals at the end of the year - but I actually think the attendance given how bad we are and have been the previous two years has not been that bad.  I only hope it bounces back quickly next year(s).