Coach's Show

Billboy1

21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When we added Lisch and Liddell and virtually nothing else, we went from 9 to 16 wins.

True, but a lot of that was also Ian becoming a stud and a weaker schedule. 

I actually think people on this board are probably overrating the newcomers a little and underrating next year's bench. All of the transfers have some question marks associated with them, while Goodwin and French will be rookies.  While I fully expect them to be studs in time, there's usually some growing pains there.  On the flip side, if Roby, Johnson, or Bishop were the ones transferring in, we'd all be saying, "Those guys averaged double-digits in scoring and shot 40% from beyond the arc in their junior year." Don't get me wrong, I think we're upgrading our talent here, but it's really difficult to project how good any of these guys really are.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

If we have a decent schedule in fall and dominate conference play I don't see why not. Schools will be terrified of us again next year

I love your enthusiasm but it is such a big jump from a dumpster fire to the top 25.

Returning players I like is 1) JJ, 2) Roby, 3) Bishop, I have lost confidence in Welmer and I do not know enough about Moore to know what he will bring next season.

What I do think is that the 2018-2019 season with Gordon and Thatch gets them to the top 25 and dancing and possibly deep if and only if Gordon is the 1 and done player we think he could be.

24 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Bishop isn't going anywhere and he's going to prove a lot of people wrong next year. 

+1

39 minutes ago, SShoe said:

True, but a lot of that was also Ian becoming a stud and a weaker schedule. 

I actually think people on this board are probably overrating the newcomers a little and underrating next year's bench. All of the transfers have some question marks associated with them, while Goodwin and French will be rookies.  While I fully expect them to be studs in time, there's usually some growing pains there.  On the flip side, if Roby, Johnson, or Bishop were the ones transferring in, we'd all be saying, "Those guys averaged double-digits in scoring and shot 40% from beyond the arc in their junior year." Don't get me wrong, I think we're upgrading our talent here, but it's really difficult to project how good any of these guys really are.

Agreed. The obsession with the bench is kinda funny. Folks should skim the stats that are on this website of past SLU teams as a reminder of what a typical bench looks like. Our bench figures to be much better than the typical SLU bench and likely one of the best in the A-10. Roby and Johnson have steadily improved this year, plus you get back healthy former A-10 all-newcomer player and Welmer will be more effective in limited minutes AND one of the 6 newcomers who everybody is so high on will be coming off the bench. Also, there still is likely an opportunity to add another player who could contribute next year. The real question is are the newcomers as good as we hope and how well will they mesh? A lot of moving parts that need to come together. To be a NCAA Tourney contender, we need two really big impact players - example, Henriquez become one of the league's top scorers, Goodwin to be the league's top freshman. In addition, Foreman needs to provide something similar to what Iverson does for URI, 10 ppg, 7rpg. Bess, not sure what to expect, but if he can be a "glue guy" as Ford has called him, doing a little of everything, that will be very valuable. A LOT of questions, but very excited for the speculation to end and for the games to begin. 

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

That's a little aggressive. I'd be happy with a 16 to 18 win season where the team is playing its best ball at the end of the year. Maybe win a couple at the A10 tourney and play in a CBI/CIT type thing. 

If that's the best we do then there will be lots of disappointed people on this board and in the seats at Chaifetz!

2 hours ago, bauman said:

If that's the best we do then there will be lots of disappointed people on this board and in the seats at Chaifetz!

Agreed.  My perhaps unrealistic hope is that we're at least an NIT level team and are knocking on the tourney door to make things interesting. 

9 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

someone on this board said we would be in the top 25 next year?  

I agree that wont happen since we will pretty much have no bench worthy of playing double digit minutes. 

Absolutely ridiculous statement. Johnson, Roby, and Welmer would all be nice bench players. Johnson in particularly could turn into an outstanding player before his career is over. 

Tonight Coach was under the weather but stuck through the show.  He spent the nitial part of the show on Zeke Moore, calling him the most athletic player on the team, and how he has improved particularly on D.  Reiterated that the team didn't play particularly well against St Joe but Roby, Crawford and Hines came up with big plays at the end. Jalen Johnson's award was mentioned. 

LaSalle - a lot of time has passed since the first game.  Coach said if Powell hadn't missed six games, they would be in the top four fighting for the A-10 crown.

Coach said both Reggie and Mike will leave with their degrees.  First I have heard about Reggie, and that is great news.

Roland Gray stopped by.  Talked about Charlie Newberry being the glue for the 88-89 team.  Gray played center in HS.  When he teamed with Bonner he was able to go outside. Roland and Ford discussed not getting pigeon holed into a 1-2-3-4-5 position. He wants four basektball players that can do it all, handle the ball, shoot the ball, rebound, defend.  Roland loved playing at Kiel, and hated playing at Hinkle.

Coach Will Bailey was there.  Was shocked and pleased to hear from Coach Ford offering him a job at SLU (closer to home).  He played at UAB and Rammer said, Bailey stuck it to the Bills where the sun don't shine.  He works a lot with our guards.

Chris Tifft, DBO was on also.  He works on schedule.  Says teams realize what is coming in next year.  There are teams that are looking to upgrade their schedule and those are the teams he is looking at. No schools mentioned.

Next week is the last show.  The team will be in Pittsburgh, but Rammer will have a show, likely with Coach Stone.  Not a lot current team talk tonight.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Tonight Coach was under the weather but stuck through the show.  He spent the nitial part of the show on Zeke Moore, calling him the most athletic player on the team, and how he has improved particularly on D.  Reiterated that the team didn't play particularly well against St Joe but Roby, Crawford and Hines came up with big plays at the end. Jalen Johnson's award was mentioned. 

LaSalle - a lot of time has passed since the first game.  Coach said if Powell hadn't missed six games, they would be in the top four fighting for the A-10 crown.

Coach said both Reggie and Mike will leave with their degrees.  First I have heard about Reggie, and that is great news.

Roland Gray stopped by.  Talked about Charlie Newberry being the glue for the 88-89 team.  Gray played center in HS.  When he teamed with Bonner he was able to go outside. Roland and Ford discussed not getting pigeon holed into a 1-2-3-4-5 position. He wants four basektball players that can do it all, handle the ball, shoot the ball, rebound, defend.  Roland loved playing at Kiel, and hated playing at Hinkle.

Coach Will Bailey was there.  Was shocked and pleased to hear from Coach Ford offering him a job at SLU (closer to home).  He played at UAB and Rammer said, Bailey stuck it to the Bills where the sun don't shine.  He works a lot with our guards.

Chris Tifft, DBO was on also.  He works on schedule.  Says teams realize what is coming in next year.  There are teams that are looking to upgrade their schedule and those are the teams he is looking at. No schools mentioned.

Next week is the last show.  The team will be in Pittsburgh, but Rammer will have a show, likely with Coach Stone.  Not a lot current team talk tonight.

-I missed the first part of the show but concur with the third paragraph to the end, hope the coach and the team are healthy 

4 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Did he mention what Roland & Charles Newberry are doing now?

I only saw them both once and that was at the NIT Finals in NY. Gray literally destroyed Michigan State.

Damn shame those two NIT final teams did not make it to the NCAA tourney.  Douglas and Gray with Bonner saved the SLU basketball program in my opinion

4 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Did he mention what Roland & Charles Newberry are doing now?

I only saw them both once and that was at the NIT Finals in NY. Gray literally destroyed Michigan State.

Gray lives here is STL and said he coaches part time, I think at the West County Basketball Academy.  I'm not sure but someone told me he works at Cigna.

No idea on Newberry, but Roland said it was good he could come in for the reunion, so he seems to be out of town.

OT of course. You all know what the word CIGNA stands for don't you, "Call In Get No Answer". Leaving jokes aside, it is an acronym for the initials of the two companies that merged to form CIGNA, Connecticut General and Insurance of North America. More useless data for the useless data file.

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank you Hoosier pal for the summary of the coaches show.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, thetorch said:

No last one was last week.

Kind of a bummer / missed opportunity they didn't do one.  Would have been nice to have a sort of season wrap up show and discuss the NCAA tournament.  Now is the time of year when a lot of folks come out of the woodwork to pay attention to college basketball.  Would've potentially been better exposure for Ford / SLU than shows earlier in the year.