Coach's Show

Billboy1

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Ok so you're on a team, you're not getting any attention or playing time, and the head coach says he is getting another player for 2018, which would mean someone will have to go, do you not feel like you're being run off??

Yea absolutely, If you're on your 2nd transfer would you not be red flagged right away? Players who hop from team to team don't necessarily find themselves on top programs the 2nd time around of transferring 

You're assuming that A > B. Is it not possible that a player has already expressed interest in leaving? I'm done arguing with you on this. I've already wasted a good chunk of my day trying explain something to someone who just doesn't get it.

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You're assuming that A > B. Is it not possible that a player has already expressed interest in leaving? I'm done arguing with you on this. I've already wasted a good chunk of my day trying explain something to someone who just doesn't get it.

No you don't get it. I've spoken to the players on the team, and most of the transfers. They know they are going to be really good next year, that or they are drinking the kool aid too. No one who has interest in leaving is a player we would want to stick around anyways. If Elliot Welmer decides to transfer then I am wrong, however if you dont see a pattern with Ford, he constantly praises the guys he wants to stay, and doesn't play or talk about the others. He really likes Welmer and Welmer knows he has playing time next year so I would be very surprised if he transfers. It would be in Zeke's best interest for him to stay so I don't see him leaving either. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

So players who have already transferred once, sat out a year once, and are all but guaranteed starting positions are more likely to transfer than players who have led the program to its worst record(s) in recent history? I doubt it.

Foreman would be a senior by the time Gordon is playing. As it stands, he'll share a frontcourt with Certified Werewolf Hasahn French on a team that isn't playing its two post players this season.

I'm not really sold on your reasoning for the other guys, either. Sure, anyone can transfer out at anytime for any reason, but it's way less likely for guys who've already made SLU a transfer destination.

All I'm saying is, those incoming 6 players are all hungry. They will have nothing but opportunity next season. I'd be more inclined to take a look at the guys barely playing this season on SLU's thinnest, least talented roster in modern history. That's all.

great

52 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

If Elliot Welmer decides to transfer then I am wrong, however if you dont see a pattern with Ford, he constantly praises the guys he wants to stay, and doesn't play or talk about the others.

You literally have no idea who Ford wants to stay or potentially leave. Just stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be advantageous if he gets it. He was the star player, seems Roby has taken his place.

Roby, Bishop and Welmer could help provide depth next year and 1-2 could be critical players if starters get injured. Tends to happen over the course of a season.

Will be interesting to see how the other two Crews players fare next year at SIUC and IL STATE.

3 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Could be advantageous if he gets it. He was the star player, seems Roby has taken his place.

Roby, Bishop and Welmer could help provide depth next year and 1-2 could be critical players if starters get injured. Tends to happen over the course of a season.

Will be interesting to see how the other two Crews players fare next year at SIUC and IL STATE.

Bishop will provide depth on another team 

Be interesting to know how a "medical redshirt" affects a player's transfer status. If the player gets the medical redshirt at one school, then transfers, how does the medical redshirt fit into the equation? In Bishop's case, let's say he is granted the medical redshirt for this year. If he then transfers, he has to sit out a year at his new school, so he would have only two seasons of eligibility left. At least, that's the way I read the rule. If that's true, it's kind of a disincentive to transfer.

26 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Be interesting to know how a "medical redshirt" affects a player's transfer status. If the player gets the medical redshirt at one school, then transfers, how does the medical redshirt fit into the equation? In Bishop's case, let's say he is granted the medical redshirt for this year. If he then transfers, he has to sit out a year at his new school, so he would have only two seasons of eligibility left. At least, that's the way I read the rule. If that's true, it's kind of a disincentive to transfer.

Exactly, I think he finds competition with Ty Graves

39 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Exactly

I believe you have 6 years to complete your 4-year eligibility. So Bishop would have to stay put for his last 3 years of eligibility and not have another major injury in order to maximize his 4 playing years.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I believe you have 6 years to complete your 4-year eligibility. So Bishop would have to stay put for his last 3 years of eligibility and not have another major injury in order to maximize his 4 playing years.

My (amateur) understanding of how it would work for Bishop. 

He could transfer and sit out 17-18. He would then play as a junior in eligibility during the 18-19 season. He would also play in the 19-20 season for the new school. He would then petition the NCAA for a sixth year in his five year to complete 4 years of eligibility. He would be denied and be done because the one year was within his control. I could be wrong on this, but the rule has always been 4 years in a 5 year window and it is hard to get the 6th year extension. 

So his career would look like:

15-16: SLU freshman

16-17:SLU injury season soph medical rs 

17-18:SLU RS soph  or transfer school sit out junior

18-19: SLU RS JR or transfer school RS JR

19-20: SLU RS SR or transfer school RS SR

20-21:done or  petition NCAA for a 6th year of window and lose. Finish transfer with only 3 seasons in 5 played at transfer school versus 4 in 5 at SLU. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

My (amateur) understanding of how it would work for Bishop. 

He could transfer and sit out 17-18. He would then play as a junior in eligibility during the 18-19 season. He would also play in the 19-20 season for the new school. He would then petition the NCAA for a sixth year in his five year to complete 4 years of eligibility. He would be denied and be done because the one year was within his control. I could be wrong on this, but the rule has always been 4 years in a 5 year window and it is hard to get the 6th year extension. 

So his career would look like:

15-16: SLU freshman

16-17:SLU injury season soph medical rs 

17-18:SLU RS soph  or transfer school sit out junior

18-19: SLU RS JR or transfer school RS JR

19-20: SLU RS SR or transfer school RS SR

20-21:done or  petition NCAA for a 6th year of window and lose. Finish transfer with only 3 seasons in 5 played at transfer school versus 4 in 5 at SLU. 

Bishop is going to be coming out of college a Dr. or something haha

10 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Based on yesterday's interview, I don't think that is Ford's plan. When they asked him about the transfers and hope for the future, he specifically brought up Bishop sitting out this year and coming back next year. If Ford didn't have plans for Bishop, there is no way he brings him up when answering that question, he would just stick with the four transfers and incoming HS recruits. Ford also talked very highly of Bishop early in the season. IF Bishop leaves, it will be JB's decision, not a case of Ford nudging him out. Contrast that to two players who Ford rarely talks about and it is easy to figure they won't be back next year. 

The staff likes Bishop a lot and JB will definitely be back.  So returnees of significance right now, I believe, are JB, DR, JJ, and EW: all will be getting minutes and I'd guess DR will start, at least initially. 

That's 4 (or 5; ZM would be 5) + 4 transfers + 2 freshmen (or 3 or ??) = 11 or 12.  I can tell you that there will be another new face, possibly a freshman, or maybe another transfer who can play right away...  All that still leaves one more scholly, if my math is right, even with ZM.