Starting 5 All-Time Billiken Killers

I was there duing the CUSA days, so that's where my mind tends to go. We actually had some pretty good defensive teams; I overlapped with Josh Fisher, Kenny Brown, and a few other lock-down defenders.

Fisher neutralized Wade and gave him his three worst games in college, but Novak and Diener ate our lunch.

Brown could shut down the 5-man of the moment at Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, DePaul, et al, but usually one of their wings got the best of us. TCO already mentioned Reece Gaines above, I know he crushed us.

Someone mentioned Stanley Burrell, but here's what I remember about him vs. SLU- they were at Chaifetz with a good lead on us the whole game. Then in the last five minutes, Kevin Lisch singlehandedly got us back into it, making it a one-possession game. Burrell was known for his defense and Lisch was absolutely torching him on every spot of the floor. Then they held on to win - 72-70, I think - and Burrell jumped up on the scorer's table and thumped his chest. That made me hate the guy forever. What a clown. He should've headed to the locker room with his head down, thanking his lucky stars he didn't just cost them the game. Another 30 seconds and he may have.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Someone mentioned Stanley Burrell, but here's what I remember about him vs. SLU- they were at Chaifetz with a good lead on us the whole game. Then in the last five minutes, Kevin Lisch singlehandedly got us back into it, making it a one-possession game. Burrell was known for his defense and Lisch was absolutely torching him on every spot of the floor. Then they held on to win - 72-70, I think - and Burrell jumped up on the scorer's table and thumped his chest. That made me hate the guy forever. What a clown. He should've headed to the locker room with his head down, thanking his lucky stars he didn't just cost them the game. Another 30 seconds and he may have.

If we're  thinking  of the same game, which I think we are, it was in Majerus' first season and was at Scottrade. As you said, Lisch drilled several threes late, with the last one tying the game up. Xavier then went down the court for the last shot, missed a runner in the lane, but won it on a tip-in at or near the buzzer. Burrell may have gotten the tip-in. Lisch may have had a chance for a last second heave.

2 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

I'm surprised Draymond Green hasn't been mentioned yet. Just like Mason is the most obvious in terms of a consistent career, he's the first one I think of for one individual game. I still root against the Warriors because of him.

I would also go Draymond, as someone who only started following SLU from 2006 on. Though an All-American caliber player, no one thought his game would translate to the NBA as it has. He single-handedly prevented us from upsetting a #1 seed and reaching our first S16, and figuratively (literally?), he 'killed' RM's tenure with SLU. What a game. Conklin's presser said it all

6 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I would also go Draymond, as someone who only started following SLU from 2006 on. Though an All-American caliber player, no one thought his game would translate to the NBA as it has. He single-handedly prevented us from upsetting a #1 seed and reaching our first S16, and figuratively (literally?), he 'killed' RM's tenure with SLU. What a game. Conklin's presser said it all

i would say the ref who failed to call the flagrant was the real killer.

Draymond is a known commodity on the cheap shot, and that elbow was glaring.

1 hour ago, waldo027 said:

Is this a joke? He "trained" Marcus Smart and Julius Randle to be lottery picks?

Surprised no one has mentioned Khalif Wyatt from Temple.

Khalif is a good one. What about Patricio garino ? 

Side note relphs careeer night was our last game at Scottrade, I called him a douchebag and that resulted in my ejection from the student section. Scottrade security was the worst 

3 hours ago, Zink said:

I'm limited to the past decade, so Chaz Williams and Micah Mason jump out to me, and have already been mentioned.

Jordan Crawford had a crazy game against us at Chaifetz, but he was only at X that one season. I feel like Tyreek Duren always played well against us. Both Ramon and Langston Galloway were perpetually annoying. 

That Crawford game was insane. He was totally unconscious. I knew that night the kid was a star. Sure enough, that game kicked off a crazy run for him to finish the season and carry X deep in the tournament.

He wasn`t necessarily a killer, and turned out to become a really good player, but I sure hated that punk Bobby Brannen  at Cincinnati

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

Diego Guevara at Charlotte; he was a lifetime 9.8 PPG scorer, but he seemed to be well above average against us. Good shooter.

I can't remember individual names from Tulane, though.

Jobey Thomas also made our lives miserable back in those days along with Eddie Basdin.

If we're counting guys who played just 1 game, and beat good Billikens teams in games they really needed...

• Jordan Crawford
  • Khalif Wyatt
  • Loe Roe
  • Draymond Green
  • Tim Duncan

Before Draymond, there was Tim Duncan...who pretty much single handedly ended the Claggett/Highmark/Waldman era and kept SLU out of the Sweet 16. Lou Roe was awesome (Rammer's words) in Camby's absence when UMass was #2 and it was on ESPN.

Jordan Crawford vs Kwamain in 2010 was a classic, even though we lost. Really wish we could have had that one. It was really the first time The Fetz was lit.

jordancrawford.jpg

10 hours ago, GMan Alum said:

For a one-game beating I'm surprised no one has mentioned Joe Smith of Maryland.  He single-handedly defeated SLU in the first game of the '94 NCAA tournament.  Spoon and the Bills just had no answer for him.

I'd put Lou Roe from UMass in that category too.

And remember that guy from Kent State who went ape-sh!t against us, I think it was in the first year of Chaifetz?

I forgot about Kevin Foster from Santa Clara.

Holy $h1t. Dude put up 30 and the game wasn't close.

Jordair picked up his 4th on the first defensive possession of the 2nd half. Kwamain was out with the foot. Keith Carter effed up his knee in this game and he would play again until the game before the end of the semester when he peaced out.

28 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

I'll bet Walt Clyde Frazier lit us up a few times when he played for the Salukis.

As an old Knick fan you got my curiosity and I checked.

Found out we only played Frazier's SIU once and that was in his senior season (66-67). We did lose 55-69. If you are familiar with Billiken Basketball back then we had the awful coach in Buddy Brehmer. Buddy could recruit, especially the St Louis PHL, but couldn't coach a lick. He had players like Rich Neiman, Barry Ohrms, Gene Moore, Joe Wiley, Jimmy Irving and I believe he recruited Harry Rogers (Harry never played for him).