Starting 5 All-Time Billiken Killers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given Josh Fisher's ability to shut down Dwyane Wade, but our inability to best Marquette, I think that Travis Diener has to be on the list.  That f*cker always seemed to score the game winner against us.  It also hurt that we probably had the least talented Deiner in the conference.

This is tough because the past three years, everyone has taken to beating the crap out of us so we have had nothing worth killing for.  Most of my recollectiosn go back to when we saw the same folks year after year and got beat by them year after year.  Mark Acres.  Carl Goldsten.  Byron Larkin.  Brian Roberts.  Chris Crawford.  Bobby Brannen.  We've been in the A10 for 10 years now.  After the first year aberration of finishing third, we did nothing until the last three years of the Majerus run.  In that time we lost ten games so no one killed us.  But, in the A10, with limited options:

Micah Mason, Duquesne; Dionte Christmas, Temple; Akeem Richmond, Rhode Island; Chaz Williams, Umass; and Andrew Nichollson, Olean State.

This will be fun, good idea. I need to give this some thought and do some research. Guys like Kent Williams, Reece Gaines, Steve Logan, Travis Diener (I think Steve Novack had a big game on us one year), Dayton kids like Brian Roberts/Chris Wright, Xavier guards like Jordan Crawford/Tu Holloway/Mark Lyons, Treveon Graham, Micah Mason, and of course Chris Thomas in the NIT come to mind as kids who had big games against us.

This is kind of a hard one to research. Media guide has individual game records for SLU players, but not against us.

It's funny, Micah Mason has been mentioned a bunch already. He's the first one that popped into my mind, given how recent.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/saint-louis/head-to-head.html

^This is a decent jumping-off point to help jog your memories about which teams we've played the most, when, and game results. But it doesn't link to individual box scores from there.

Unfortunately, this highlights how poorly we've done against the teams we've played most. Losing percentages for each of the top 5, and really bad ones for the top 3.

I'm limited to the past decade, so Chaz Williams and Micah Mason jump out to me, and have already been mentioned.

Jordan Crawford had a crazy game against us at Chaifetz, but he was only at X that one season. I feel like Tyreek Duren always played well against us. Both Ramon and Langston Galloway were perpetually annoying. 

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

This is tough because the past three years, everyone has taken to beating the crap out of us so we have had nothing worth killing for.  Most of my recollectiosn go back to when we saw the same folks year after year and got beat by them year after year.  Mark Acres.  Carl Goldsten.  Byron Larkin.  Brian Roberts.  Chris Crawford.  Bobby Brannen.  We've been in the A10 for 10 years now.  After the first year aberration of finishing third, we did nothing until the last three years of the Majerus run.  In that time we lost ten games so no one killed us.  But, in the A10, with limited options:

Micah Mason, Duquesne; Dionte Christmas, Temple; Akeem Richmond, Rhode Island; Chaz Williams, Umass; and Andrew Nichollson, Olean State.

Funny you mention Nicholson. What sticks out for me is him getting three fouls in the first minute and ending up with two points in the game at Chaifetz the season he was POY. I'm sure he lit us up before that, but I really can't remember it.

16 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

I'm surprised Draymond Green hasn't been mentioned yet. Just like Mason is the most obvious in terms of a consistent career, he's the first one I think of for one individual game. I still root against the Warriors because of him.

I was trying to think of players that were not stars in general, but used to destroy us. Guys like Draymond Green, Reece Gaines, Steve Logan, and Penny Hardaway were all-Americans. They destroyed everyone.

58 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Brian Wardle of Marquette used to light us up all the time.

Back in the C-USA days, Charlotte and maybe also Tulane seemed to have a string of 3 point shooting white guys that always gave us trouble.

Diego Guevara at Charlotte; he was a lifetime 9.8 PPG scorer, but he seemed to be well above average against us. Good shooter.

I can't remember individual names from Tulane, though.