How Similar are French and Johnson?

HoosierPal

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I'm not sure that could be called a "giggle" - more of a continuous shriek. We replayed that game tape a few times just to hear it again; he couldn't contain his joy. That was priceless.

does anyone have a clip of this? i want to play it the first time Goodwin and French take the floor.

4 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Now I'm just curious, MOY:  is that irony or are you being serious??

Johnson is a lean 3 who is at best a poor man's Calbert Cheaney.  I made that comparison a while ago, and before anyone has a meltdown or flames me, I also said Calbert was lightyears ahead of JJ, as freshmen.  (CC was one of the best first month freshmen I ever saw in college bball).  I would love to see JJ become even half the player CC was.  Also looking forward to seeing him add about 20 pounds of muscle.

French reminds me of Charles Oakley.  He is a chiselled, athletic big who will be able to match up physically with any other big in the A10, right away.  Could be wrong but I doubt it.  He would absolutely school those dudes from Chicago State (unlike our bigs at present).

ps: are French and Johnson similar?? sure, maybe.  But so what?? I love the twin towers concept and as an old Pacer fan, loved the enforcers, the Davis boys (who were actually a lot different in certain ways.)  Obviously Johnson has a few years on him, and that includes banging through a Big Ten season, so that's gotta make him a favorite, at least initially, to start.  But French is such an impressive looking kid, can't wait to see him up close and live...

I was comparing French to Jammin Jamal Johnson from the 90's Billikens. 

11 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Johnson is a lean 3 who is at best a poor man's Calbert Cheaney.  I made that comparison a while ago, and before anyone has a meltdown or flames me, I also said Calbert was lightyears ahead of JJ, as freshmen.  (CC was one of the best first month freshmen I ever saw in college bball).  I would love to see JJ become even half the player CC was.  Also looking forward to seeing him add about 20 pounds of muscle.

French reminds me of Charles Oakley.  He is a chiselled, athletic big who will be able to match up physically with any other big in the A10, right away.  Could be wrong but I doubt it.  He would absolutely school those dudes from Chicago State (unlike our bigs at present).

ps: are French and Johnson similar?? sure, maybe.  But so what?? I love the twin towers concept and as an old Pacer fan, loved the enforcers, the Davis boys (who were actually a lot different in certain ways.)  Obviously Johnson has a few years on him, and that includes banging through a Big Ten season, so that's gotta make him a favorite, at least initially, to start.  But French is such an impressive looking kid, can't wait to see him up close and live...

I think you might have a different player in mind.

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-32866829/billikens-may-get-miami-s-johnson-fourth-luechtefeld

34 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Jamal Johnson not Jalen Johnson.  

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Jamal Johnson. An ex Bill ...oops I guess I should have kept reading before posting. 

27 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

I'm so confused. None of the Johnsons mentioned played in the Big 10.

No, sorry for confusing anyone, including myself.  I never saw Jamal Johnson, by the way; before my time.

I thought the original comparison -- the CORRECT comparison -- was French and Foreman.  Just read it too quick I guess... & those two are the ones I'm calling twin towers.  Very similar bodies and games, I think.  Then later Moy compared French to Johnson, and I thought he meant Jalen. (lousy comparison).  He meant Jamal (good? bad? indifferent comparison??).

My bad -- delete the Johnson in this post and put Foreman:

ps: are French and Foreman similar?? sure, maybe.  But so what?? I love the twin towers concept and as an old Pacer fan, loved the enforcers, the Davis boys (who were actually a lot different in certain ways.)  Obviously Foreman has a few years on him, and that includes banging through a Big Ten season, so that's gotta make him a favorite, at least initially, to start.  But French is such an impressive looking kid, can't wait to see him up close and live...

that is all, DrB.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

If you were to heat map the words that are used to describe French in scouting reports, the biggest ones would be "energy", "motor", "rebounding", "strength", "explosiveness", and others along those lines.

I'm hearing "werewolf" and "rimraper" being thrown around a lot.  In my circles anyway.  I run in pretty small circles.  Actually there are the same number of lines in an actual circle as the one circle I run in.

3 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

I'm hearing "werewolf" and "rimraper" being thrown around a lot.  In my circles anyway.  I run in pretty small circles.  Actually there are the same number of lines in an actual circle as the one circle I run in.

The instincts of your circle are correct. Both terms are apt.