How Similar are French and Johnson?

HoosierPal

Both players are relatively the same size, 6'7", with French maybe 20 to 25 pounds heavier.  As a senior, Johnson averaged 21.6 ppg, 8.3 rpg, and 1.4 apg.  Does anyone have French's current stats?  His summer numbers were low, but that usually is a function of the team.

I haven't seen French play.  YouTube Highlight videos are just that, highlights.  My sense is that Johnson has more range on his shot than French, but French might get more done underneath.  How similar are these two players?  Are they one in the same? 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

My sense is that Johnson has more range on his shot than French, but French might get more done underneath. 

Bingo.

But, most kids dont enter college looking like French.  So Johnson in a few years could turn into that type.

Johnson is a lean jump shooter with average hops who will be a good rebounder once he puts on 20 pounds. French already outweighs Johnson by at least 35 lb, is an excellent leaper, putting up insane rebounding numbers against solid competition and occasionally shoots from outside. Other than the fact they are both around 6'7, I don't see anything they have in common.

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Good old Hi-C and turkey.

French looks like a real banger, even if he is "only" 6'7". Pretty sure that's a couple inches taller than Dwayne Evans was when he got here.

I'm hoping French is a lot like Evans. With Goodwin and Jett comparisons abound maybe we are getting the band back together...

9 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Neither was recruited by Crews.

+1, oh that is right on.

16 hours ago, kshoe said:

I'm hoping French is a lot like Evans. With Goodwin and Jett comparisons abound maybe we are getting the band back together...

I don't think Evans is a very close comparison for French, either.

He's the kind of player we haven't had in a while. Evans came in a lot leaner than French will. He might give an inch or two on some nights, but he's way ahead of his peers physically overall. His arms and shoulders are unreal. French was an early bloomer in terms of growth, so he's learned how to use his body to his advantage much earlier and longer than is typical, even as other players have caught up to him size-wise. He goes hard after every rebound. Because he's not particularly tall for his position (long arms and short legs for his frame), it can be taken for granted how good he is at blocking shots; he uses a quick spring and his long arms to flick shots away. He will attack the rim but can also shoot from the mid-range and perimeter when the opportunity presents itself. His man needs to have an eye and body on him at all times because the vintage Hasahn French play is an offensive rebound that becomes a dunk, either on the putback or just mopping up. He's a deceptively good passer and ball handler, as well, and can really embarrass defenders in a few ways if they give him too much space.

There isn't a lot of downside with French. He's a terrible free throw shooter; I know Goodwin, Bess, and Foreman also leave something to be desired in this department, so free throw shooting could be an Achilles heel for us next season. He doesn't create much from the post; he isn't a back-to-the-basket type of guy. He's more creative from the perimeter, high post, and in transition, and more than comfortable in traffic. He just isn't going to break down many good bigs going one-on-one starting from his back. No reason he can't develop in that area, though.

If you were to heat map the words that are used to describe French in scouting reports, the biggest ones would be "energy", "motor", "rebounding", "strength", "explosiveness", and others along those lines. Had he grown a couple more inches, he'd probably be ranked in the same neighborhood as Goodwin. As it stands, we have a top 100-150 gem who will be an excellent A10 forward.

Evans didn't nearly have his physicality or athleticism. Evans was more methodical. He was sound in everything he did and was deceptive in what he brought to the floor. There's no question about the effort that comes from either player. There's also no question that French is another guy - like Evans - who Rick Majerus would've loved (same goes for Goodwin).

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't think Evans is a very close comparison for French, either.

He's the kind of player we haven't had in a while.

-I am excited to see him in our uniform and I envision our guys on the break, look at the players we will have, Goodwin leading it with many options and we end up with either an open 3 or a monster jam and Earl giggling 'the running of the Bills'

32 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I am excited to see him in our uniform and I envision our guys on the break, look at the players we will have, Goodwin leading it with many options and we end up with either an open 3 or a monster jam and Earl giggling 'the running of the Bills'

Next to the laughter of my children, Earl giggles are the best.

French is supposedly an 18 year old high school senior but looks like a 26 year old NFL player. Not sure if we've ever had a freshman big who is more athletic and more physically mature. Definitely not in my time following the team. He is not a project big by any means. He should be able to get it done in the paint in the A10.

6 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

The EA Giggle after Perry beat Louisville is my earliest vivid Billikens memory

I'm not sure that could be called a "giggle" - more of a continuous shriek. We replayed that game tape a few times just to hear it again; he couldn't contain his joy. That was priceless.

8 minutes ago, waldo027 said:

French is supposedly an 18 year old high school senior but looks like a 26 year old NFL player. Not sure if we've ever had a freshman big who is more athletic and more physically mature. Definitely not in my time following the team. He is not a project big by any means. He should be able to get it done in the paint in the A10.

"not a project"

thank God.

tired of projects. give me a product.

56 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

French reminds me of Jamal Johnson.  

Now I'm just curious, MOY:  is that irony or are you being serious??

Johnson is a lean 3 who is at best a poor man's Calbert Cheaney.  I made that comparison a while ago, and before anyone has a meltdown or flames me, I also said Calbert was lightyears ahead of JJ, as freshmen.  (CC was one of the best first month freshmen I ever saw in college bball).  I would love to see JJ become even half the player CC was.  Also looking forward to seeing him add about 20 pounds of muscle.

French reminds me of Charles Oakley.  He is a chiselled, athletic big who will be able to match up physically with any other big in the A10, right away.  Could be wrong but I doubt it.  He would absolutely school those dudes from Chicago State (unlike our bigs at present).

ps: are French and Johnson similar?? sure, maybe.  But so what?? I love the twin towers concept and as an old Pacer fan, loved the enforcers, the Davis boys (who were actually a lot different in certain ways.)  Obviously Johnson has a few years on him, and that includes banging through a Big Ten season, so that's gotta make him a favorite, at least initially, to start.  But French is such an impressive looking kid, can't wait to see him up close and live...