Wich St over the Bills by 32

The Wiz

Whoa...this isn't going to be pretty.  ....I think this is the largest Billiken spread I have predicted

How did this happen.?

Well first off ...we have fallen to cupcake status ....F+ .. I will get into the specifics next Wed when report cards come out as to what it takes to be an F+ team but for now let's just say we are one of the worst shooting teams in the nation (bottom 10%)

But what about the extra wide spread on this game?  The result of playing our toughest game of the entire season...Wich St ( A+ ) ....Top 10 team on my rankings...A Dancing team.  But how much better could they be than KSU?...In many ways they are similar...Think of them as KSU on steroids. Great shooting...great D ...lots of depth.. The differences between KSU and WSU is ....Wich St has better D from the 3...more depth...KSU had 5 that could takeover a game....WSU has 10...which means when they put the 2nd team in there will be no let up. They have 6 regulars  ( 13+ min/gm) who shoot over 50% overall and over 40% from 3  (including 2 who shoot over 50% from the arc) ....some staggering numbers...And finally the Shockers are better from the FT line than KSU. 

Bottom line.... We need to try and shoot normal Bills numbers...41/31/64 and take care of the ball ...TOs 12...to try and keep it respectable. .If we come up with a bad game ...sub 20% from 3 and 20+ TOs this game could go from ugly to a Shocker.

This is the first time I'm not sure whether to take our opponent based on the Wiz's spread. BYU and K-State in the teens were easy money. But it wouldn't be unreasonable for us to lose this one by, say, 29 points.

(I'm not actually betting on these games.)

Usually there is a betting  opportunity  when I differ with Vegas by 3+ pts...in this case 29 or less or 35 or more. These can be some of the hardest games to win from a betting perspective because there are other factors  involved.  On the computer side, there is the "give up" side  at 20 + points...."Give up" meaning that both sides are not going all out anymore because the game is over.  Points scored after a 20  pt margin are valued less in figuring calculations going forward.  On the human side, it is usually up to the winning coach to decide when to take the foot off the gas pedal. As we saw in the KSU game, Weber could have run the score up to 40 but put the scrubs in which held down the margin.  That;s what makes this game harder to bet on ...the wider spread. As I pointed out in the original post , this is one of the widest spreads in Bills history. If you wanted to create the widest spread possible....say Fla A&M vs Nova...you could run up a 40 point difference.  40 is usually the ceiling not only this year but most years. 

The point is ...if WSU gets the lead and does what KSU did (win by 31) ...it  may make it more difficult to beat  the spread than a single digit spread.

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Usually there is a betting  opportunity  when I differ with Vegas by 3+ pts...in this case 29 or less or 35 or more. These can be some of the hardest games to win from a betting perspective because there are other factors  involved.  On the computer side, there is the "give up" side  at 20 + points...."Give up" meaning that both sides are not going all out anymore because the game is over.  Points scored after a 20  pt margin are valued less in figuring calculations going forward.  On the human side, it is usually up to the winning coach to decide when to take the foot off the gas pedal. As we saw in the KSU game, Weber could have run the score up to 40 but put the scrubs in which held down the margin.  That;s what makes this game harder to bet on ...the wider spread. As I pointed out in the original post , this is one of the widest spreads in Bills history. If you wanted to create the widest spread possible....say Fla A&M vs Nova...you could run up a 40 point difference.  40 is usually the ceiling not only this year but most years. 

The point is ...if WSU gets the lead and does what KSU did (win by 31) ...it  may make it more difficult to beat  the spread than a single digit spread.

The first 12-15 minutes of the K-State game were actually sort of close. Didn't we cut it to 5 after 10 minutes? I fear we have not seen what a true turd by this team against a good opponent looks like yet.

3 hours ago, almaman said:

so u b sayin' there can't be a spread more than 40? 

There can be  a larger spread. A couple of  years ago when Ky had their super dominant season ( 1 loss)...the spread widen to about 50 over a very weak Grambling team. Other years when a number of teams are vying for a top spot (no one dominating)  and the bottom feeders are a little stronger, I have seen it narrow to 38. But generally, , year in year out the first to worst is about 40 on average.  Right now, the largest spread is 40...NC vs Coppin St.

47 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

SLU +27 in my book 

Best bet might be WSU -14 first half line, but I'm not feeling like a super degenerate (yet) this AM

That's what I see from the sports books too.  A 5 point spread differential (32 vs 27) is usually a winning combination. I think the key  is the "give up" factor I mentioned  in the above post.  When do both teams let up? It adds one more variable to the mix.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Bills cover

-I don't know who WSU has played, but this from Go Bills doesn't make covering seem likely.... The Shockers are among the top teams offensively and defensively in the country. They are 44th nationally in scoring offense averaging 83.1 ppg. They give up 59.6 ppg, which is 14th in the nation. Wichita State has a scoring margin of +23.6, which is fourth nationally.

They play Oklahoma Saturday and Oklahoma St after that. I just think Marshall pulls back the troops a bit with finals approaching and two resume-builder games up next. It's probably better for us if we go down big early and then just trade buckets in the 2nd half rather than hang within 10 and have Wichita St keep the foot on the gas all game.