GDT: K-State

Pistol

Anyone surprised by what we saw tonight is either naive or oblivious.   good news is next year we really only need 2 or 3 of these players for less than 10 minutes a game.   there is a light sitting at the end of the bench and in Massachusetts and at althoff.   it will be a whole new view in less 11 months 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Anyone surprised by what we saw tonight is either naive or oblivious.   good news is next year we really only need 2 or 3 of these players for less than 10 minutes a game.   there is a light sitting at the end of the bench and in Massachusetts and at althoff.   it will be a whole new view in less 11 months 

well said. it is not surprising but it is pathetic.

There's just about nothing salvageable on our roster currently.  Time for more walk-offs. Keep Welmer, replace Bishop, Neufeld, Gillman, Roby. Bounce Johnson and Moore if they aren't extremely coachable  Say a fond farewell to Reggie and Mike.  And......

FIND A COUPLE GUARDS WHO CAN HANDLE THE BALL!  

This team has more trouble then the guard position.  Our interior guys could not defend Johnson or that 32 kid at all.  At this point you are not going to find 2 guards who are any better than Bishop in all probability.  Another Jett being pulled out of the hat is not likely.  Bishop can still find some playing time next year as a bench player.  Welmer is just over exposed now - he can score and rebound enough to be on this team for next year.  Neufeld - can you say Lancona.  Gillman - I sure hope you can graduate this year and then thanks for the memories I guess.  Roby will be a senior and he will finish out here baring something really odd happening.  Johnson and Moore actually should see more time on the floor - if you listen to Ford he says that these two are actually having to play more as freshmen then he would like but the roster is such that he has no choice - nothing I have heard him say that he is unhappy with the two.  Moore finally hit a couple and seemed energized by it.  Johnson has  talent.  Reggie and Mike - sorry guys you had your day in the sun as freshmen members on this team too bad for all of us that it was down hill from there.  Reggie has scored 4 points in the last two games - he has more fouls I think then points over those two games.  Mike - he is trying but oh well.  I agree with Roy if anybody thought we were going to win tonight then you are living in an alt-world.  Same holds true for the WSU game.  My plans are to go to the games and watch for improvement in Moore and Johnson and see if Bishop can cut down on his TOs - as a freshman and sophomore  Jett was still turning the ball over at a decent clip so there is still time for Jermaine to improve.  Goodwin and French are coming - they knew it was not going to be pretty this year when they signed on - the only reason some are so disappointed that they actually believed that this team could win 12-14 games - why is the only question.  The three transfers are not going anywhere once again they knew it was not going to be pretty this year - in fact they are only seeing that they reason for signing on is still there - playing time.  I only hope Ford and coaching crew are working the recruiting trail hard for 2018 - they will probably have 3 schollies to fill and 2 if Gordon follows through. At least we have something to look forward to and that is more than we could say the last couple of Crew's years.

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

My plans are to go to the games and watch for improvement in Moore and Johnson and see if Bishop can cut down on his TOs - as a freshman and sophomore  Jett was still turning the ball over at a decent clip so there is still time for Jermaine to improve.  

jett from day one had off the chart physical skills and size.   it's amazing what can be accomplished with a blank canvas of god given talent.   Bishop is a decent spot up open shooter.  but he is small and he is a step slow.   i am afraid he is what he is and any development from him to expect even acceptable starter minutes isnt going to happen.   he plays on this roster because he is about as good as we currently have.   but this roster is a single digit win roster.   like most of our roster, he's over his head.  

as far as i know kstate isnt supposed to win the national championship.   i dont even expect them to win the big 12.   they are likely going to fight to be a bubble team at year end.   they likely would be in the same position in the A-10.   yet we were so out performed last night it was incredible.   that was a beat down.   and weber played the third team the last 5 minutes more or less.  

out of necessity we will make do with 2 or 3 of these guys next year,    but i have no expectations beyond breather minutes from any of them.   bring on the french, goodwin, foreman, bess and henriquez years.   at least then we may be an over 500 team and be competitive again.   After ekker left, i hoped id never see the program at this level ever again.   well we are there and more.  

At least the band is great. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

jett from day one had off the chart physical skills and size.   it's amazing what can be accomplished with a blank canvas of god given talent.   Bishop is a decent spot up open shooter.  but he is small and he is a step slow.   i am afraid he is what he is and any development from him to expect even acceptable starter minutes isnt going to happen.   he plays on this roster because he is about as good as we currently have.   but this roster is a single digit win roster.   like most of our roster, he's over his head.  

as far as i know kstate isnt supposed to win the national championship.   i dont even expect them to win the big 12.   they are likely going to fight to be a bubble team at year end.   they likely would be in the same position in the A-10.   yet we were so out performed last night it was incredible.   that was a beat down.   and weber played the third team the last 5 minutes more or less.  

out of necessity we will make do with 2 or 3 of these guys next year,    but i have no expectations beyond breather minutes from any of them.   bring on the french, goodwin, foreman, bess and henriquez years.   at least then we may be an over 500 team and be competitive again.   After ekker left, i hoped id never see the program at this level ever again.   well we are there and more.  

At least the band is great. 

I agree about Jett - my point simply was that Bishop could still improve some.  I also agree he should not be a starter next year just a guy to give a little rest to others.  We will need back ups - at the time Crews left people were calling for all these kids to transfer and I kept pointing out that we still needed to play the schedule this year.  The same applies for next year.  If you take the 3 transfers and put in Goodwin and French now you have your starting line up - the next thing is you will still need 4-5 bench players  to give spot minutes and to provide practice players.  Moore, Johnson, Welmer, Roby and Bishop.  Not saying they are perfect but they will do for 5-7 minutes a game.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

the only reason some are so disappointed that they actually believed that this team could win 12-14 games - why is the only question.

I knew 12 was being optimistic, but given that Crews won 11 the last two years I didn't think it was crazy to hope for one more. If Crawford wasn't hurt or Bartley hadn't left I don't think we would be much worse than last year, even with all the other departures. Moore looks like the only guy on the current roster who could be a real shooter this year, unless Crawford makes a miraculous recovery.

Goodwin, French, Foreman, Bess and Henriquez add up to 5 players, which is fine. One of the problems we have this year is the lack of depth. We really need to develop some of the people in the team to a point where we have at least 3 or 4 additional reasonably effective players for next year. I would assume these are likely to be 3 or 4 out of the following 5 players: Moore, Johnson, Welmer, Bishop, and Roby. Let's assume that 4 of these end this year doing reasonably well despite all the current problems with the team. I think any questions about whether the team has adequate depth next year or not will have to depend in what players fill the last 3 spots.

Looking at the stats (I did not watch the game last night) Crawford keeps on trying but just does not sink 3 pointers, Agbeko is scoring even less than Crawford is. With the lack of scoring from these two, our team is just not capable of holding its own this year. Regarding Crawford, if he gets overplayed, the chances of reactivation of his injuries increases. On the positive side he only played 19 minutes against K State, so he may be still capable of playing at the current level for the rest of the season. Agbeko played 22 minutes. I see Neufeld played 14 minutes, he scored 1 FT and got 2 rebounds and 1 block. We will see what he does against Wichita St.

9 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Ramey and Dad were in the building as well as Levi Stockard and some of the younger Vashon players.  I heard Torrence was in the building but I didn't see him.

Hopefully they all appreciate 7000 showing up for a bad team. They know Goodwin is on the way. They can pack this place and make it their town if they come.