K St over the Bills by 14

The Wiz

This will be a rough game. K-St is a very good team ( B+ ).  Unfortunately they are playing in an A+ league. This makes them look like a bottom feeder...I am projecting them to finish 9th out of 10 teams (Hmm..so that is why they call it the Big 12) This team will probably be an NIT team...outside chance to dance but a long shot at this point.  

So what do you need from this team? The Wildcats seem to have it all....shooting...2 or 3 pt?? ..they have both....They are in the top 10% in both categories. ...how about defense? Got it again....Top 5 % in FG% allowed and PPG (below 60). Plenty of steals and blocks too.   Well who do we stop ? ,...Nobody...Plenty of depth...They have 5 players  who can take over the game.  Well they must have some weakness. ...Yes ...They can't shoot foul shots. They also are only average in defending the 3.

So what should we do?....Keep the game close and then shoot 80%+ from the FT line.  Any other ideas?  Keep TOs down to 12 and shoot 50% from 3. 

Bottom line....We need to score more than 60 pts and hope they have an off night.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

KState has two local products, 5th year senior DJ Johnson from Parkway North, and freshman Xavier Sneed from Hazelwood Central.  Both are averaging 10.3 ppg.

And they have Stockard from Vashon coming in next year

55 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

KState has two local products, 5th year senior DJ Johnson from Parkway North, and freshman Xavier Sneed from Hazelwood Central.  Both are averaging 10.3 ppg.

Johnson leads the team in FG% 54% and Reb. 6.....Sneed  50 / 41 / 78

BTW ...the door leading out of St. L is now closed. ....

It would be nice if we could stay close this  game. Against a decent Samford team when our starters came out for a rest our defense took a breather and we went down 6-7 points first two times 2 or more starters were given a rest. We all want to see JJ, Zeke, Neufeld, Gillman get minutes but not if they let the other team light it up.

I think I would make the first two substitutions with instructions that speed defensive tempo and trap so we don't try and rest on the floor as well.

Edited by GOSLU68
Spelling

On December 2, 2016 at 2:51 AM, GOSLU68 said:

It would be nice if we could stay close this  game. Against a decent Samford team when our starters came out for a rest our defense took a breather and we went down 6-7 points first two times 2 or more starters were given a rest. We all want to see JJ, Zeke, Neufeld, Gillman get minutes but not if they let the other team light it up.

I think I would make the first two substitutions with instructions that speed defensive tempo and trap so we don't try and rest on the floor as well.

Let's not speak for all of us. I'd be very okay if Neufeld and Gillmann (mostly AG) never saw the floor for the Billikens again 

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Let's not speak for all of us. I'd be very okay if Neufeld and Gillmann (mostly AG) never saw the floor for the Billikens again 

I'd reverse that. Gillmann can make a jumpshot and and has good hands around the goal. Does a nice job with tip-ins. Neufeld is a D-2 player at best.

On 12/1/2016 at 7:25 PM, The Wiz said:

This will be a rough game. K-St is a very good team ( B+ ).  Unfortunately they are playing in an A+ league. This makes them look like a bottom feeder...I am projecting them to finish 9th out of 10 teams (Hmm..so that is why they call it the Big 12) This team will probably be an NIT team...outside chance to dance but a long shot at this point.  

So what do you need from this team? The Wildcats seem to have it all....shooting...2 or 3 pt?? ..they have both....They are in the top 10% in both categories. ...how about defense? Got it again....Top 5 % in FG% allowed and PPG (below 60). Plenty of steals and blocks too.   Well who do we stop ? ,...Nobody...Plenty of depth...They have 5 players  who can take over the game.  Well they must have some weakness. ...Yes ...They can't shoot foul shots. They also are only average in defending the 3.

So what should we do?....Keep the game close and then shoot 80%+ from the FT line.  Any other ideas?  Keep TOs down to 12 and shoot 50% from 3. 

Bottom line....We need to score more than 60 pts and hope they have an off night.

Well, not much to see here.....we were simply over matched. Said that in the original post above and that pretty much happened.. I liked the way D Johnson on KSU lamented the fact he missed an easy shot and only shot 90% from the field (10-11) He only missed one....How many did we miss?

The sad thing ...  as lopsided as this game was,  there was a way to win....and it would not have taken a heroic effort.  First , we had an unacceptable (again) 21 TOs......20 + usually guarantees a loss. Cut this down to the projected 12...and it is a 13 pt spread...then shoot not a great slash line but the Bills average slash line of 41% FG  and 31% 3pt and the game is even. So our loss formula is the same....TOs and poor shooting.

Bottom line from above post...We didn't shoot 60 and they didn't have an off night.

And now we go from the frying pan ( KSU...B+ ) to the fire ( WSU...A+ )

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Well, not much to see here.....we were simply over matched. Said that in the original post above and that pretty much happened.. I liked the way D Johnson on KSU lamented the fact he missed an easy shot and only shot 90% from the field (10-11) He only missed one....How many did we miss?

The sad thing ...  as lopsided as this game was,  there was a way to win....and it would not have taken a heroic effort.  First , we had an unacceptable (again) 21 TOs......20 + usually guarantees a loss. Cut this down to the projected 12...and it is a 13 pt spread...then shoot not a great slash line but the Bills average slash line of 41% FG  and 31% 3pt and the game is even. So our loss formula is the same....TOs and poor shooting.

Bottom line from above post...We didn't shoot 60 and they didn't have an off night.

And now we go from the frying pan ( KSU...B+ ) to the fire ( WSU...A+ )

First true road game. Gonna get scorched.

After watching the last two games it is obvious for SLU to be really good next year they need a ball-handling, play-making point guard that can step right in and a athletic center.  Don't know how that second scholarship is freed up.

What SLU has coming back from the current active roster is just not it.

22 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

After watching the last two games it is obvious for SLU to be really good next year they need a ball-handling, play-making point guard that can step right in and a athletic center.  Don't know how that second scholarship is freed up.

What SLU has coming back from the current active roster is just not it.

My observation from the last three seasons, as well as the games so far this year, is that SLU needs a new 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 starter, as well as new backups at every position.

Ford is delivering a totally new starting lineup next year. The players playing now will make very little impact on our team in the future. I am most hopeful for Welmer with his shooting ability. If that keeps up bringing him off the bench to switch up and create mismatches on the court could be an asset. Teams can't leave him alone on the perimeter, and he's tall enough to shoot over most guards. Loe 2.0? I'm dreaming of it.

I think some guys will have to be run off.. Crews recruited marginal D2/D3 players to this roster. It's not good.