Ford Hints at New Starting Lineup

HoosierPal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

That's an interesting stat.  I wonder how it is computed, based on who else is on the floor?  If Johnson and Welmer are on the floor at the same time, does kenpom credit Johnson with being a 3 simply because Welmer is credited as being the 4?  My recollection is that Johnson played in the 5 hole for a few minutes in an earlier game.  Does kenpom allow for no one to be in a spot, as in a 5?

that's seems impossible to chart. Costly?

4 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Personally, I'd play all our guards less. Crawford because he's hurt and struggling, Roby because his legs give out at the end of games, Bishop because he's turning it over way too much. Let Johnson play the 3 and let Moore get more time in the backcourt. If you take 3 mins from each of those guys, they still play plenty and you get the frosh 5 more mins/game each. Obviously you still have to put competent lineups out there (meaning no Hines/Moore/Johnson backcourt), but I think it would be a good short-term and long-term move. 

I agree with this completely. With Neufeld in (and sometimes Gillmann), we play a matchup zone, and I think Johnson and Moore could thrive in that environment. 

I love Bishop's game, but am not convinced he can play the point. Last night was a microcosm of his limitations. I know some people don't think we need a true PG, but I am a little concerned about next year if Goodwin can't play the point or if we don't pick up a grad transfer. 

3 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I agree with this completely. With Neufeld in (and sometimes Gillmann), we play a matchup zone, and I think Johnson and Moore could thrive in that environment. 

I love Bishop's game, but am not convinced he can play the point. Last night was a microcosm of his limitations. I know some people don't think we need a true PG, but I am a little concerned about next year if Goodwin can't play the point or if we don't pick up a grad transfer. 

I think we definitely need another PG for next year.  

Re: Bishop, I think it's tough to look good as a pg when we have so few offensive weapons.  He's not going to have many assists when we shoot 18% from 3 and RA has a horrible shooting night.  Some of his turnovers result from bad decisions, but some also result from lack of talented players around him.  I'm not going to close the book on JB this year.  It's a tough year to look good as a Billiken pg. 

To some extent, we need Crawford on the floor - despite any apparent rust/injury concerns - to at least be a decoy.  I would presume (and this could change after a few more games) that he is the #1 offensive player other teams scout and have to defend on the perimeter  If you sit him in place of an unproven freshman, I would just play a match up zone and dare us to shoot all the time.  

Playing with better players is huge. I think Bishop will be fine to get the ball up the court and start the offense once we have legit offensive threats to spread the court.

5 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

Without looking it up, I am sure that is in part from Crawford taking more shots and playing more minutes. I don't really think Ford will bench Crawford, but I am getting sick of seeing him play for 30+ minutes every game. He's not shooting like himself, he's not helping win games now, and he won't be around next year. So what's the point of playing him so much? Last night was by far his best game of the year and he was still 1-7 or 1-8 from 3P.

If this season is going to be a lost one then I kind of agree with you.  Think about what happened to Cassidy his senior year - worked out best for the team long term also.

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

What is interesting is that at half time of half our games, Coach has gotten the team fired up and they come out playing like a true D1 team.  Why can't he get them fired up before the game?  Maybe he needs to get into some faces in the huddle before tip off.

Agreed--get a huddle going and have a GUT CHECK!!

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I think we definitely need another PG for next year.  

Re: Bishop, I think it's tough to look good as a pg when we have so few offensive weapons.  He's not going to have many assists when we shoot 18% from 3 and RA has a horrible shooting night.  Some of his turnovers result from bad decisions, but some also result from lack of talented players around him.  I'm not going to close the book on JB this year.  It's a tough year to look good as a Billiken pg. 

Point taken for sure. It's definitely hard when you're the only playmaker on the floor. I like JB and think he has a great game. I hope he can improve the ball-handling and decision-making, but I worry that his basketball IQ just isn't what it needs to be to play the point. That's something you can't teach. And I haven't seen enough of Goodwin to know if he can fit that role, but I'm hoping he can. 

I said a few months ago that I am excited for this season and am looking forward to seeing growth. I fully expected to see a lot of growing pains. But I can't be the only one who is sick to death of our performance at the free throw line. We shoot a normal % from the stripe and we're 4-2 right now. I know tired legs are the most likely culprit, but damn! Free throws are one of the few facets of the game that don't require a ton of skill. 

50 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I said a few months ago that I am excited for this season and am looking forward to seeing growth. I fully expected to see a lot of growing pains. But I can't be the only one who is sick to death of our performance at the free throw line. We shoot a normal % from the stripe and we're 4-2 right now. I know tired legs are the most likely culprit, but damn! Free throws are one of the few facets of the game that don't require a ton of skill. 

this team has 6 players.

samford played something like 5 games in a week. the bills had a week off. this team has no talent, only scrapping the vestiges of the plattstain on this team will end this nightmare.

Just now, slufan13 said:

-we'll see what comes of it, I have a feeling this is directed to a large degree also at the three guys that sit in sweatsuits at the end of the bench

-but as has been mentioned, the coach doesn't have a whole lot of options

I've noticed that when frustration with the recent play has been expressed on this board some have said that we should just write this season off and wait for next year. It appears that our coach is not prepared to do that. At least not at this point.

I myself have predicted ten wins and I'm not sure if we can even get to that. So I'm not expecting a trip to the Final Four. That said, a winnable game that we just piss away is tough to take. Alabama especially and last night too. I was a bit surprised after the bama game when Ford took all the blame and said something to the effect that he didn't help his team get to the win.  Apparently that thinking is changing.

I don't think this season should be written off, but it should be focused on development of players that will be here for more than this year. Basically an audition for next year when there will be 6-plus new players that should be better than the best current active players. 

Agree. The problem with next year is that about half of the team will be players from this year. We absolutely need to develop those that will stay in the team so that they can contribute positively to next year's team. This is why we must keep on trying to get the kids to learn this year regardless of winning or losing.