Ford Hints at New Starting Lineup

HoosierPal

if anyone truly thinks adjusting the starting lineup will help, I'm happy to address that:  it won't change much, if anything.

it's a talent problem, plain and simple.  boy were we terrible, the last part of the first half, with DR & EW on bench with foul trouble.  And that was not a good team, by any stretch.  I wonder if we can even win 7 or 8??

(minor) signs of hope:  JJ has game and showed it (a tiny bit); yes, he will improve.  plus he has to get minutes, with this group.  I was impressed with the effort in 2nd half, again.  And I do like the new offensive tone and strategy (though again -- broken record -- we have limited talent for it)  

cons:  wow, Hines really only plays because we have 200 minutes to fill and get some rest to the guards.  He obviously will never see the floor, after March.  & for those calling for less time for the Hoosier:  MC must also play a lot, guys.  The drop off is very significant on this team, and the bar is not set very high to begin with.  Outside of Chicago State: who can we beat, coming up??  Genuine question, not being snarky...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Outside of Chicago State: who can we beat, coming up??  Genuine question, not being snarky...

Well, I'm sure the Wiz has some grades to show us, but off the top of my head, we can probably beat SIUE at home, and later down the line we should be able to stop powerhouse NC A&T. And I bet we win at least 2 in conference, although woe are we if any of our at-least-mediocre players get hurt. 

19 minutes ago, bonwich said:

we can probably beat SIUE at home, and later down the line we should be able to stop powerhouse NC A&T. And I bet we win at least 2 in conference, although woe are we if any of our at-least-mediocre players get hurt. 

Joe:  I heard from someone that SIUE is actually pretty decent this year.  And since it's just a quick bus ride over the bridge, I have to say:  this is not a cupcake for us, by any means.  I expect a loss.  Also:  boy you are right about injuries.  Esp. if to one of our top 3-4 players.  that would pretty much kill any chance to beat anyone....

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Joe:  I heard from someone that SIUE is actually pretty decent this year.  And since it's just a quick bus ride over the bridge, I have to say:  this is not a cupcake for us, by any means.  I expect a loss.  Also:  boy you are right about injuries.  Esp. if to one of our top 3-4 players.  that would pretty much kill any chance to beat anyone....

Have you actually seen them play yet - I have and they are not decent.  Does that mean we will beat them who knows with this group.

I would bench starters who can't catch the ball or who don't take care of the ball who leave their man open for three pointers early in the game or make lousy passes or can't seem to find any body to pass to.

If that leaves any of the current starters-fine. Obviously, Crawford hides like Cassity did when the bombs don't fall. It is not lack of arch- he is long one time short the next- I hope it is a leg problem and I would go back to what we did with Deiner I would bring him in fresh after about 8-10 both halves- he is slow and against game weary opponents he may get open and feel less inclined to pass first. He is smart and rebounding well.  

We probably need him in the game as he communicates and directs as a senior leader should. The other consideration is make him or Roby the point and let Bishop play shooting guard. I would give JJ and Zeke a lot more minutes if we are going to lose anyway. I know JJ will keep shooting and not give up and I feel Zeek Moore, Welmer, Bishop, Roby will catch the ball and will shoot. Bishop shoots too often when not open because of desperation not finding a man to pass to.

For me basketball is all about separation to get your shot off-Crawford underneath keeps moving and stretching like a rubber man until his defender has lost him for a split second. If he could get squared to the 3 point basket and fire off a shot when he catches the ball that might help. Agbecko gets his shot off as his first step is very quick. Maybe that is one of the several reasons he drops passes? I have to say Welmer and Gillman are better feeder passers than our current point man. We just don't have a point guard. By the time Crawford is recognized his defender is on him. Can't Bishop pass sooner just as he crosses half court if we have to watch him start the offense?

Most of you won't remember the point guard for Douglas and Gray. His name was Roeder- hardly ever shot other than a lay up but with two good jump shooters to pass to no one complained about his 35 minutes a game. His court vision was great. 

We need JJ and Roby to get more traps and steals.

I like Agbecko. Agbecko is playing to the top of his game and is a senior. I don't think he can be coached up. I do think those passing to him should not fire the ball directly to him below his waist. Possibly, they could lead him like you do to a football receiver not a tight end doing a bunt and hook.

I  would give the Greek kid minutes over Hines. Hines was a surprise last year-this year he seems to be less of a threat. For Harris Stowe Psimitis (sp?) rebounded, shot the three and jump shots but also he had a nose for where the ball is. He may not be as good at being where the ball is as Luke Meyer or Highmark but we certainly need more of that on this team.

Psimitis plays like a European.

roeder only played in the mediocre gray douglas freshmen-sophomore years.   gray douglas best point guard that got the billikens deep into the nit was charlie newberry who was an outstanding point guard.   i wish we had a charlie newberry.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

roeder only played in the mediocre gray douglas freshmen-sophomore years.   gray douglas best point guard that got the billikens deep into the nit was charlie newberry who was an outstanding point guard.   i wish we had a charlie newberry.  

I agree with you about Charlie Newberry on of my favorite Billikens and a good point guard.  Such a shame his teams was not good enough to get to the big dance I would have liked to see how that team would have played.  It was a great time to be a Billiken fan.

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I agree with you about Charlie Newberry on of my favorite Billikens and a good point guard.  Such a shame his teams was not good enough to get to the big dance I would have liked to see how that team would have played.  It was a great time to be a Billiken fan.

Those teams were dance worth, especially the 1988-89 team.  The were just in a league that was only going to one bid and they didn't win the conference tournament.

15 hours ago, DoctorB said:

if anyone truly thinks adjusting the starting lineup will help, I'm happy to address that:  it won't change much, if anything.

it's a talent problem, plain and simple.  boy were we terrible, the last part of the first half, with DR & EW on bench with foul trouble.  And that was not a good team, by any stretch.  I wonder if we can even win 7 or 8??

(minor) signs of hope:  JJ has game and showed it (a tiny bit); yes, he will improve.  plus he has to get minutes, with this group.  I was impressed with the effort in 2nd half, again.  And I do like the new offensive tone and strategy (though again -- broken record -- we have limited talent for it)  

cons:  wow, Hines really only plays because we have 200 minutes to fill and get some rest to the guards.  He obviously will never see the floor, after March.  & for those calling for less time for the Hoosier:  MC must also play a lot, guys.  The drop off is very significant on this team, and the bar is not set very high to begin with.  Outside of Chicago State: who can we beat, coming up??  Genuine question, not being snarky...

I am not sure people think that changing the line up will improve things this year but they are hopeful that the younger players will improve faster and be of more help next year.  I think people understand that we are short on talent and especially numbers at guard but from what I have seen of HInes this year, he is an accident waiting to happen when the ball is in his hands particularly when he is bringing it down the floor.  I know Bishop has had too many TOs but that may be  because he doesn't get enough relief when on the floor.  He does seem to be better - at least to me - than anybody we have in bringing the ball down.  At this point, all I want to see is player improvement rather than the playing of a senior who is struggling and doesn't know that he must change his game.  Highmark was very good at that - when is perimeter shooting was not working he got his points by driving - the problem Crawford has is when he drives he tends to get stuffed.  Not sure what the right thing is to do.

On the Fast Lane yesterday, Coach reiterated that minutes will be distributed differently tomorrow.  He said he is still looking for that leader who has the team's ear.  Interesting, as I thought he already said Roby was that guy.  Maybe not.  He said at practice they discussed the penalty (bench time) for not playing hard.  He ended up by saying it isn't about winning and losing, but how hard and how well they play.  Sounds like he has chalked KSU up in the L column.

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

On the Fast Lane yesterday, Coach reiterated that minutes will be distributed differently tomorrow.  He said he is still looking for that leader who has the team's ear.  Interesting, as I thought he already said Roby was that guy.  Maybe not.  He said at practice they discussed the penalty (bench time) for not playing hard.  He ended up by saying it isn't about winning and losing, but how hard and how well they play.  Sounds like he has chalked KSU up in the L column.

-was it the coach that said it or was it DR that said he was the leader? 

-I'm not sure the issue is the level or intensity of play

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

He said at practice they discussed the penalty (bench time) for not playing hard.  

I like hearing this.  Sounds like Ford is clearly communicating expectations and the repercussions for failing to meet those expectations.  Something that Crews never seemed to do.  

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I think Roby is the leader but since the teams play has taken a turn for the worse maybe Roby is not the right person.

Crawford has stepped up and taken some responsibility being a senior and the bad play.

The trouble is there is not a great player on this team to lead by example.

If the current team had players like Dwayne Evan, Kwamain Mitchell, Jodair Jett, Larry Hughes, Anthony Bonner, Marquee Perry, then you would have the team leader.

Hines never made it off the bench - that is different.  He played Moore more and Johnson some more.  I agree no change in the starting line up but at this point who really cares - Ford really has no options here but to tough it out this year.  Hopefully he does not have a break down.

What we should really hope for is that Johnson and Moore develop into reasonably mature players despite all adverse results, and that Bishop, Roby, and Wellmer become better capable of filling up the holes in the lineup. I think we should also hope against hope that at least one of the bigs improves through play. My prediction of a 0.500 with 15 wins season was overly optimistic, I will be happy if we finish the season one or two slots above the rock bottom of A10, glass half full always.

20 minutes was given to Gillmann & Neufield. That's maybe more then usual. Reggie had 22 minutes. Between the 3 of them we had 5 pts. 

Not a lot options to really shake things up.

BTW: I saw the 3 transfers in black warm-ups on TV. Did DJ Foreman seem to be ambulating all right? I need some good news.

Not yet my friend. The stuff that keeps a hip prosthesis (if this is what he has, a pin or a plate is similar) in its socket are the muscles and ligaments that cover it. To play basketball and not dislocate the prosthesis out of the socket, the muscle and ligament covers must regain strength and tighten up. He should be currently doing regular exercises to achieve this end, but it may still be too early for practice. By the way the common condition among young people that requires hip surgery (prosthetic replacement) is AVN (avascular necrosis) of the hip which is congenital and slowly deforms the head of the femur. This is not something that recurs, but care must be taken for complete healing before stressing the joint.