GDT: Samford and Son

Taj79

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tired legs lead to poor free throw shooting and poor jump shooting.  With nobench, we shot our best shot coming back to open the second half.  Got it close but withered.  The chances were there.  

Didn't expect this as a loss.  Negative one on the overall ledger.  But even so, ten wins seems remote.  Low talent.  Short bench.  Not enough in the tank.  

They too had them as evidenced by their free throw shooting woes.  They did enough to win in the second half with Walker.  They ran out to a first half lead, we emptied the tank coming back.  Eventually the pendulum swung to their favor.  But more than swing, we gift wrapped it with our tired legs at the end.  

My assessment.  No need to pontificate from the couch.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They played 6 in 8 days. What about their tired legs? 

Good point, we had them at a perfect time with tonight being their 5th game on the road in 8 days (3rd game in 4 nights) and us being off for a week. They had to be fairly gassed and them going 12-26 from the line was a sign of that. Their brutal free throw shooting likely kept us in the game. 

Just now, slufan13 said:

Lots of bad plays and horrible free throw shooting down the stretch but we won't win any games when Reggie plays like that.

Reggie's terrible shooting (2-10) and Jermaine's poor ball-handling (5 turnovers) cost us. Reggie did well on the glass and defensively and Jermaine shot pretty well, but you can't win games when your primary offensive threat in the post shoots 20% and your point guard turns the ball over that much.

I am starting to think that Crawford has to be our primary ball-handler down the stretch. He was the only one making good decisions and getting to the basket consistently.

8 minutes ago, Zink said:

I like our scrappiness at times, but I really do miss the ability to grind it out with solid play that was the hallmark of our NCAA teams. 

Have to learn how to be consistent and make the right play regardless of time and score. 

However, I hate our crappiness.

OK, I was there, about 30-40% full, not much fire. Lots of empty seats, only 4 tubas in the band.

The game was what it was, I thought we just could not handle their full court press very well and neither Reggie nor Roby were scoring much. Lots of fouls, by the end of the half  were down by a fair amount and just could not regain the lead in the second half. Another one down.

folks.   let it go.  they are as terrible as expected if not worse.   the starters are bad enough but then the bench isnt even close enough to be able to come in for a minute or two and give the starters a rest.   let's just chill, get through the season and play the 'wait till next year" card.   

here's another positive i got tonite, no one standing where i have to stand up to see the game.   makes it so much easier to watch physically for an oldster like me.  

here's another, the people out in the hall doing balloon animals and face painting do a wonderful job.   if you bring kids, take them out there.  they will love it.  

one more, the guys doing the happy hour nachos are really loading the little baskets this year.   chips piled high, drenched in nacho cheese and peppers.  

see its easy to find something good.   

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

folks.   let it go.  they are as terrible as expected if not worse.   the starters are bad enough but then the bench isnt even close enough to be able to come in for a minute or two and give the starters a rest.   let's just chill, get through the season and play the 'wait till next year" card.   

here's another positive i got tonite, no one standing where i have to stand up to see the game.   makes it so much easier to watch physically for an oldster like me.  

here's another, the people out in the hall doing balloon animals and face painting do a wonderful job.   if you bring kids, take them out there.  they will love it.  

one more, the guys doing the happy hour nachos are really loading the little baskets this year.   chips piled high, drenched in nacho cheese and peppers.  

see its easy to find something good.   

Give your old legs a rest before we start having NCAA tourney appearances again. We will stand.

There were so many ways we could have won this game but screwed up every one of them.  Reggie has to shoot better than 20% from the paint - he has to hit at least 50%.  If we hit our FTs at 75% nothing to write home the outcome is different.  We only had 13 TOs which is not terrible but we gave up 17 points because of them and we only scored 9 from their TOs.  18% from the 3 pt line is terrible - if we hit 30% we win.  We did not have to do all of these just one of them and we didn't so we lost.  At this point, double digit wins seems out of reach.  I don't buy the tired legs excuse.  This team has 10 players and 3 of them are questionable.  The remaining 7 are just going to have to suck it up. Our handling of the press was not pretty but we did OK and that was not why we lost the game - 13 TOs is not that bad - most teams look for a 12 TO number as being acceptable.

I liked the look of the guys in dark sweatsuits at the end of the bench. ;)

I am realistic about this season. This is a real-world tryout for a few spots off the bench next year. Bishop did some good things. Welmer did some good things. Zeke and Justin look like not-yet-comfortable freshmen. Roby is a bit of an enigma. These guys are fighting for a handful of minutes next year. From a fans' perspective, that is somewhat reassuring. From the coaches' and players' perspective, that must be really, really tough. I actually feel for this whole team; this is a really tough year, and everyone knows what is going to happen with the lineup next year.