Been awhile since a marketing rant

bonwich

15 hours ago, bonwich said:

First of all, I have no idea why this is appearing attached to Bonwich's comment - it has nothing to do with it so Bonwich sorry about this but chalk it up to computer bad elves.

Well if you want to complain about no free coupons or websites not working very well for buying tix or other items or not enough gear available at other outlets or hours at the Billiken store or bookstore for trying to buy gear then fine.  But honestly I really don't see where not giving employees free tix is much to ***** about.  Having run a large organization, it never stopped amazing me why employees always seemed to think they had special rights over the paying customer.  Giving a discount is fine as a perk but free anything becomes an entitlement.  When something that is done as a nice gesture and people then begin think it is something they are entitled to then something is wrong.  The whole Billiken points system set up is something that the administration can only be wrong about in any decision they make.  I guess the best thing for them to do is say that legacies or not allowed.  So when the person dies or drops their tix then everything starts from zero then you would not have all these special circumstances that seem to appear to be decision making byflying by the seat of their pants with transferring ownership or points or whatever.  I guess a solution could be to put the tix in the family name not the individual and then that would allow the family to maintain all rights and benefits - just a thought.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-how about our PA announcer dissing on the spirit squad and the t-shirt toss? is working together not valued in the ADept? or was this just Gus being Gus?

-I can handle change but can someone explain why the timeout 'entertainment' changed from prior years? also, is ABInBev no longer donating or was playing the Bud song not affiliated with a donation?

-on a positive, the shop had a lot of new merchandise on display on the tables in the concourse

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-how about our PA announcer dissing on the spirit squad and the t-shirt toss? is working together not valued in the ADept? or was this just Gus being Gus?

-I can handle change but can someone explain why the timeout 'entertainment' changed from prior years? also, is ABInBev no longer donating or was playing the Bud song not affiliated with a donation?

-on a positive, the shop had a lot of new merchandise on display on the tables in the concourse

Guy Phillips is a disgrace.

the only thing that changed is the order of the entertainment. Apparently that's our marketing departments idea of "fresh and new" 

21 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

I also appreciated the coupons.  I have no idea what deal SLU has worked out with the operators of Chaifetz, so maybe it was a non-negligible cost.

Damn straight.  

We do get a staff discount though, which SLU was nice enough to let me transfer my parents tickets to my name (and add one for me), which are now all under the staff price.  The funny thing is my SLU fandom started when my Dad split season tickets with a co-worker whose spouse worked for SLU (getting the staff discount).  These were then transferred to my parents (as normal tickets) and now back to me (as staff tickets).  So the Rogers family tickets really have gone full circle in the last 20 years.

Also in an unexpected perk, being a member of the Billiken Club lets me get a customized care license plate at discount (normally you have to pay a donation/fee to the school and the state of Missouri, but the Billiken Club membership lets me waive this fee from the school).

They used to let you buy your tickets directly out of my paycheck (so people could get them pre-tax), but I don't think is an option anymore.

Have you stayed in same seats? I recall used to be able to change to better ones if they were available at renewal?

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Have you stayed in same seats? I recall used to be able to change to better ones if they were available at renewal?

We have been in the same seats for all of Chaifetz.  I don't think there is a huge demand for our seats (we are the only season tickets in our row or the row ahead of us I think).  With this, I think the transfer of the seats from my Dad's name to my name was not a big deal (but I cannot be certain of this).  But I very much appreciated them doing it. 

I would actually probably like to change where our seats are, but my Dad is happy with them.  We simply have different preferences of where we like to watch sporting events (he for some reason likes corners).

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Guy Phillips is a disgrace.

the only thing that changed is the order of the entertainment. Apparently that's our marketing departments idea of "fresh and new" 

gus is getting worse. it is really bad stuff.

5 hours ago, Soderball said:

gus is getting worse. it is really bad stuff.

I thought the guy, no pun intended, who subbed at one of this year's games was very good. Pretty much what I think an announcer should be. He did make one screw-up, but he only announces occasionally, whereas Gus has been announcing for what, 20 years, and he makes several screw-ups per game, not to mention the unconscionable derogatory comments by a PA announcer. 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Gus is well paid for his gig.

A few years ago, I emailed Gus about calling Dwayne Evans "Dwight". We had an exchange of a few emails following that, during which I think he claimed he does the job for free. 

In related news, SLU got my mom's name on the video board last night for her birthday. Guy mispronounced our last name. In his defense, it's a somewhat frequent mispronunciation.

9 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

In related news, SLU got my mom's name on the video board last night for her birthday. Guy mispronounced our last name. In his defense, it's a somewhat frequent mispronunciation.

I had really, really hoped to get my grandson, Bolesław Kuczewski, entered into the baby race this year, but he has just started walking. 

10 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

A few years ago, I emailed Gus about calling Dwayne Evans "Dwight". We had an exchange of a few emails following that, during which I think he claimed he does the job for free. 

I emailed him a few years back asking him if he was paid because he surely doesn' deserve it. He insinuated that his income from SLU was more than I was ever going to make.

44 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I emailed him a few years back asking him if he was paid because he surely doesn' deserve it. He insinuated that his income from SLU was more than I was ever going to make.

dude flips is just terrible.

57 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Nice. I'm guessing that struck a nerve with him, because my comments about "Dwight", which I thought were pretty civil, really ticked him off.

On 11/29/2016 at 2:20 PM, bonwich said:

First of all, I have no idea why this is appearing attached to Bonwich's comment - it has nothing to do with it so Bonwich sorry about this but chalk it up to computer bad elves. - #2

Whether Guy does it for free or for pay is not the point.  The question is if you do something for free for someone then it is OK to screw things for that person?  Whether you get paid or not you should strive to do the job well.

14 hours ago, bonwich said:

I thought the guy, no pun intended, who subbed at one of this year's games was very good. Pretty much what I think an announcer should be. He did make one screw-up, but he only announces occasionally, whereas Gus has been announcing for what, 20 years, and he makes several screw-ups per game, not to mention the unconscionable derogatory comments by a PA announcer. 

What were the unconscionable comments? I heard him say something about Trump and somebody "not expecting that," but wasn't really paying attention.

20 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

What were the unconscionable comments? I heard him say something about Trump and somebody "not expecting that," but wasn't really paying attention.

I wouldn't call it unconscionable, but I think there was a time he announced that the Saintsations were going to go out in the court, but they were delayed in their entrance. Guy made some sarcastic "better late than never" comment. 

3 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I wouldn't call it unconscionable, but I think there was a time he announced that the Saintsations were going to go out in the court, but they were delayed in their entrance. Guy made some sarcastic "better late than never" comment. 

It was for the tshirt toss. He insulted "colleagues" in front of the arena. I mean our promotions are boring as hell and the marketing team blows goats but it's just a long line in unprofessional behavior from him.