Samford over the Bills by 3

The Wiz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/28/2016 at 10:51 AM, The Wiz said:

This is a winnable game. Samford is coming off a double OT loss last night after playing a game on Sat. ...now on the road to our place.   BUT as you can see by the spread this is not going to be a cake walk..... Samford is a decent team.  ( C ).  Want to see what an average NCAA  team looks like.  This is it ( at least at this point of the season.) For those that lamented the Ball St. loss ...The Bills have another chance as these teams are both C rated (Samford and Ball St).  Think of this as BS2 (or BS too). If you remember back to that game that was supposed to be a close one  ...but we played poorly and got blown out. Time for redemption.

So Samford is a duel threat team. They have a " beast "...Walker...A double 14 guy...pts and reb. ...And they have a shooter..Dyson.. ...55% overall...51% from 3.  ..Either of these guys can take over a game.

Here is what we need to do to win....Stop Walker from getting the double-double. Or...getting 1 double from Walker and holding Dyson below 40 overall and from 3. We are catching Samford at a good time.  We can win this game with a slash line of 45/35/72  as long as we don't give it away...TO 12 or less.

This game is ours to win as long as we play decent.

Well let's start with the good....

If Sam = Ball St as I mentioned above...and we lost to Ball St by 21 in what was supposed to be a close game. If this was a do over because BS and Sam were very similar...then this was a big improvement. Was this a surprise outcome ...not to me...see the headline...pretty much on target.  Other good things...while Walker got his double -double we pretty much held him in check...15 pts 11 reb...1 extra pt and 3 less reb...so a check mark there. And Dyson only scored 10 and we held him to the predicted 40%...another check...TOs were 13 including only 4 in the 2nd half which fueled our comeback...another check especially for a team that has had a number of 20 TO games....This concludes the good part of the post...some may wish to stop reading here....

To quote Ferris Bueller...What ? Are you still here it's over ...Go home

Now the bad...This is mainly about missed 3's....our slash line...43/ 17(not a typo) / 53...to reach the projected slash from the above post....we needed to make 4 more 3s and 3 more FT...the slash would then have looked like this 49/ 35 / 73. Not a great slash but a decent slash...one that would have produced 15 more points...turning this into an 11 pt win...Here is one last chance to leave this post

OK you asked for this...now a new slash....instead of showing the actually shooting % this will show the team rank so far this season out of 351 teams including tonight's Sam game....290/ 274 / 311...for those not following along....FG% rank/ 3pt% rank/ FT% rank...and finally PPG...294.   With numbers like these it is hard to win.

And yet we all of that we were within 1 pt with a couple of  min left and a chance to win....Samford was tired at the end ...with 7 min left and a very small lead they went into a deliberate slowdown...not because they had the game...but because they were out of gas and were trying to hang on.. With less than 2 min and a 1 pt lead they were shooting a foul shot and had nobody around their shooter...the other 4 were back at half court getting a head start.

Bottom line... even with poor shooting from the arc we had them on the ropes and let them slip away. We need to learn how to close out games near the end when we have a chance to win..... 2 games ago we played a very good BYU team competitively for 28 min and then a collapse...we followed that up with a 9 point lead on a good Alabama team for 35 min...and then a collapse......Tonight we were down 1 AND had the ball and then lost it at the 1 min 38 sec mark and then a collapse.....The progression of good effort is 28 min...35 min and tonight 38 1/2 min... We are almost there.

I want to make some positive observations about this game. Our poor scoring did us in. I think a good portion of this was due to the fact that they neutralized Reggie as a scoring threat by double and triple guarding him under the basket. I think they did this by taking Crawford as not much of a scoring threat. Crawford's shot 0.500 % of his FG, which is better than he has done so far this year. Do not take me wrong, he may be doing this because the level of guarding placed on him by the opposition was low compared to what they were throwing at Reggie. However he appears to be regaining lower extremity strength and ability to shoot FG, this is good and may provide some much needed relief for Reggie in future games.

Please note that this does not rule out the recurrence of his plantar fasciitis later on in the season, but any indication that he is able to shoot better should be welcome.

Another observation is that Foreman was walking around during this game without crutches. This is very good, he may be able to start practice sometime next year and be ready for next season's play.

So, yes, we did not cave in last night, the result at the end was closer than I expected at the half. I agree there is progression and learning evident in the way they are playing compared to prior games. 

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

I want to make some positive observations about this game. Our poor scoring did us in. I think a good portion of this was due to the fact that they neutralized Reggie as a scoring threat by double and triple guarding him under the basket. I think they did this by taking Crawford as not much of a scoring threat. Crawford's shot 0.500 % of his FG, which is better than he has done so far this year. Do not take me wrong, he may be doing this because the level of guarding placed on him by the opposition was low compared to what they were throwing at Reggie. However he appears to be regaining lower extremity strength and ability to shoot FG, this is good and may provide some much needed relief for Reggie in future games.

Please note that this does not rule out the recurrence of his plantar fasciitis later on in the season, but any indication that he is able to shoot better should be welcome.

Another observation is that Foreman was walking around during this game without crutches. This is very good, he may be able to start practice sometime next year and be ready for next season's play.

So, yes, we did not cave in last night, the result at the end was closer than I expected at the half. I agree there is progression and learning evident in the way they are playing compared to prior games. 

Reggie had one of his worst shooting nights I can remember. This was vintage Reggie from 2 or 3 years ago before he was a starter. We're not talking about 30 footers here, we're talking bunnies that wouldn't fall. How about that late free throw that hit the glass to the side of the rim? Maybe Reggie is just gonna be Reggie during the league season too. I said 10 wins and for a bit I thought maybe I was underestimating them. Now I'm not sure we'll even get 10.

OK you asked for this...now a new slash....instead of showing the actually shooting % this will show the team rank so far this season out of 351 teams including tonight's Sam game....290/ 274 / 311...for those not following along....FG% rank/ 3pt% rank/ FT% rank...and finally PPG...294.   With numbers like these it is hard to win.

that is amazing, we are deep sea diving with the lowest of the lows. I am sure I haven't heard of at least 25 of the 351. as close to "no where to go but up" that I can remember

Just for you White Pelican, there are two strategies for the market, not only one. These are:

Most people buy high and sell low, this is a strategy that generates tax deductions.

A few people buy low and sell high, this is a strategy that generates increased taxes.

You really can't win no matter what, but given a choice I would choose paying high taxes.

8 hours ago, almaman said:

that is amazing, we are deep sea diving with the lowest of the lows. I am sure I haven't heard of at least 25 of the 351. as close to "no where to go but up" that I can remember

Sorry... I was just telling it like it is.....But wait there is more.....

We head into next Wed's 1st report card with a D- and facing the wrong end of 2 blowout games (K St and WSU)  till then. . Looking forward , I am showing 3 OOC wins and no A-10 wins.....0-17-1....so 5 or 6 wins for the year. We will probably win 1 or 2 unexpectedly as we rise up against some poor opponent who is looking past us and while have a hot night.  But for now.............

335 days and counting  till next year's season start.

10 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Sorry... I was just telling it like it is.....But wait there is more.....

We head into next Wed's 1st report card with a D- and facing the wrong end of 2 blowout games (K St and WSU)  till then. . Looking forward , I am showing 3 OOC wins and no A-10 wins.....0-17-1....so 5 or 6 wins for the year. We will probably win 1 or 2 unexpectedly as we rise up against some poor opponent who is looking past us and while have a hot night.  But for now.............

335 days and counting  till next year's season start.

The truth hurts so much Wiz, but I will continue to watch or listen to the last shot and like someone said before the last shot that will be missed by this team.

I was really hoping Reggie, Crawford, and Roby were good enough to pull out close games but so far it has not happened.

If your prediction turns out to be correct then I want to see more playing time for Moore, Neufeld, Johnson, no matter how bad it is.

I really want to see if Neufeld can develop into at least a off the bench post defender.

37 minutes ago, CBFan said:

The truth hurts so much Wiz, but I will continue to watch or listen to the last shot and like someone said before the last shot that will be missed by this team.

I was really hoping Reggie, Crawford, and Roby were good enough to pull out close games but so far it has not happened.

If your prediction turns out to be correct then I want to see more playing time for Moore, Neufeld, Johnson, no matter how bad it is.

I really want to see if Neufeld can develop into at least a off the bench post defender.

-not to pile on, but remembering a moment in the Samford game where MN got an offensive rebound, hands with the ball over his head and his first move was to bring the ball to his knees and he didn't get a shot, I'm hoping that is being coached

42 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Agree CBFan we need to develop for next year.

I am glad that Coach Ford doesn't agree with this board.  In an interview last week with Frank C., he said he was so focused on this year and the Samford game that he had no idea when the next game (after Samford) was.  Frank said it was Kansas State on Saturady, and Coach said something like, 'Oh yeah, I knew that was coming up but I don't look ahead.'  He reiterated his desire to help Reggie and Michael have a positive senior year.  He mentioned that his only thoughts on the transfers are 'how can they help us this year'.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I am glad that Coach Ford doesn't agree with this board.  In an interview last week with Frank C., he said he was so focused on this year and the Samford game that he had no idea when the next game (after Samford) was.  Frank said it was Kansas State on Saturady, and Coach said something like, 'Oh yeah, I knew that was coming up but I don't look ahead.'  He reiterated his desire to help Reggie and Michael have a positive senior year.  He mentioned that his only thoughts on the transfers are 'how can they help us this year'.

I love coach speak (and Ford seems quite good at it). Because you have to be so focused on the task at hand you can have no idea of what is happening beyond that singular task. I think they are just trying to one up each other at this point like Saban saying he had no idea about the election.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I am not ready to throw in the towel for this season but if The Wiz is correct and season becomes another lost season then develop for the future.

If they start off A10 play at 0 and 6 with a losing record in non-conference play then I think it is time.

I would love the seniors to have a positive year, both of these guys have given their best and seem to be very good people.

41 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am not ready to throw in the towel for this season but if The Wiz is correct and season becomes another lost season then develop for the future.

If they start off A10 play at 0 and 6 with a losing record in non-conference play then I think it is time.

I would love the seniors to have a positive year, both of these guys have given their best and seem to be very good people.

Life is not fair - I am sorry they signed on with Crews - Mr. Incompetent  - but wishing and hoping won't make it so.