Cowboy

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Billboy1 said:

Should not loose to this team three times when talent is not better 

Dayton is clearly the better team. We don't have enough rebounding and aren't quick enough on the front line to compete with NCAA teams. Hopefully they make the NIT and have a good run like last year.

`Stone needs to start recruiting bigger, stronger, more athletic players who are strong rebounders.  They are similar to MU in that they have good outside players but not strong inside players.  If Stipanovich had a teammate who was also strong inside she may have been even better than she is.  However, with no one else as a threat inside, she got dominated today by the other team's center.  She stopped Stepanovich's inside moves.  Stone's front line is like the one the men had with Crews, soft and slow.  

1 hour ago, doowop said:

`Stone needs to start recruiting bigger, stronger, more athletic players who are strong rebounders.  They are similar to MU in that they have good outside players but not strong inside players.  If Stipanovich had a teammate who was also strong inside she may have been even better than she is.  However, with no one else as a threat inside, she got dominated today by the other team's center.  She stopped Stepanovich's inside moves.  Stone's front line is like the one the men had with Crews, soft and slow.  

Looking at the current roster, she definitely has a type of player she likes. It seems to skew more towards heady gym rats and less towards athletic. 

I wanted to look at SLU's chances at getting into the NIT and then if they were in would they get a home game.  I think they are in but their case is not as strong as some appear to imply.  The Women's NIT uses 6 (I posted about this in years passed) rankings and throws out the high and low ranking to get a composite index.  Note the RPI is counted twice so it cannot be thrown out.  SLU is ranked thus (they do better when their margins of victory are added in):

Massey 88  
Moore 73  
NCAA RPI  93  
RealTime RPI  93  
Sagarin 69 72
Bennett 62  

The first five ranking systems are named by the WNIT but not the 6th.  I am guessing that the 6th is Sagarin's other ranking (Predictor or Golden Mean) or possibly Bennett (even though SLU is ranked well with this it is a bad system generally).  Anyway, SLU will have a composite 80 or 81.  Given that both the NCAA and the NIT have automatic bids (tournament and regular season champs respectively) they will be giving those bids to some teams who are worse than SLU.  Regardless, I would estimate only 10-14 teams with worse records getting NCAA bids.  So 81 puts SLU in the NIT as around the 30th best team--that is not good enough to guarantee them a home game but it makes it more likely than not.  Officially, the home team is selected by a number of factors (officially: " fan base, host bids, facility availability, tournament seed, travel constraints, etc" ) and I think all those things work in SLU's favor as well.

FYI, ESPN has GW as an 11 seed at-large in their bracketology for the NCAA.

On 3/4/2017 at 9:12 PM, JMM28 said:

Looking at the current roster, she definitely has a type of player she likes. It seems to skew more towards heady gym rats and less towards athletic. 

If that is true, then the kind of talent she likes will have a hard time qualifying for or going far in, the NCAA Tournament.

In case anyone is wondering and too lazy to google it:

Women's NIT selection is tonight.

2017 Dates 
The 64-team field will be announced late Monday evening, March 13, 2017. The first round will kick off Wednesday, March 15, with the event culminating on Saturday, April 1 with the championship.

• Selection – Monday, March 13.
  • Round 1 – March 15-17.
  • Round 2 – March 18-21.
  • Round 3 – March 22-24.
  • Round 4 – March 25-27.
  • Semifinals – March 29-30.
  • Championship – Saturday, April 1, 3 p.m. ET. 

Just now, hsmith19 said:

Kemph is the one who makes this team go. So even with Stipo leaving, we should have one more shot at making the tourney. I'm not too optimistic beyond next year, but maybe the two Louisville freshmen will set the world on fire.

I don't know if I agree with that. Kemph is phenomenal but she's a score first PG. she doesn't get her teammates involved enough to "make the team go". IMHO

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That is shocking. I don't really look at women's stats and from watching her in 5 or so games this year and many last I've always viewed her as a scorer over a distributor 

You are way off. She is a very good distributor. She is Imo very balanced and can find the open teammate or score as needed.