women's thread

Cowboy

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/19/2017 at 10:37 PM, White Pelican said:

We've beaten GW (and lost to Dayton) so if we win on Wed., it appears to me that we'd be the number one seed regardless of what GW does.

Yes.  It would also mean a bye in the conference tournament (only 1 & 2 get byes and GW gets the 2 seed with a win) as well as a guaranteed bid in the NIT. 

3 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Did not know the women's game had the "advance" rule with the time out.  SLU ball, 65-50

Men are getting that next season, right? Thought I heard that somewhere. There's also talk of switching to quarters, too.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Men are getting that next season, right? Thought I heard that somewhere. There's also talk of switching to quarters, too.

I hope not.  I think the advance rule is a little silly.  It would also be weird for me to watch college basketball in quarters.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think it's just talk from announcers that they'd like to see it, etc. Haven't heard anything remotely official on that.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So maybe not on the advance rule, but I think they will be experimenting with quarters in certain tournaments next season.

Too tired to look anything up.

I read in this year's NIT after 4 team fouls the fouled team shoots 2 FTs on the next foul, no one and ones, and they'll reset team fouls at the 10-minute mark of each half. Seems dumb.

http://deadspin.com/ncaa-to-experiment-with-playing-quarter-rules-while-sti-1792311454

-I saw a clip on the news of our last shot attempt in regulation, seemed like it was all Jackie, hey kid go do your thing, no thought of a screen and perhaps not enough time for a pass, defense was right with her

-I'll try to be there on Sunday to cheer the Ladies past round 1

7 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I saw a clip on the news of our last shot attempt in regulation, seemed like it was all Jackie, hey kid go do your thing, no thought of a screen and perhaps not enough time for a pass, defense was right with her

-I'll try to be there on Sunday to cheer the Ladies past round 1

That is what it was. Teams all clog the middle on her now to cut off her drives. I was surprised they didn't have a play keyed off her driving and drawing defenders.

24 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Pretty amazing that Kemph has won a second CPOY as a junior, especially considering she was having an off season by her standards until recently. Hard to imagine her not winning a third one next year.

If SLU fails to win the A10 tourney and misses the NCAA again, does it become a problem that Stone has had the A10 POY two years in a row but has been unable to capitalize on that? 

I understand where that program has come from and I think she has done a really nice job here. But two straight years of terribly soft scheduling has been quite the error for her. 

Of course winning the A10 tournament would put an end to that line of discussion, although the scheduling really should be much stronger than 254 SOS. 

26 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If SLU fails to win the A10 tourney and misses the NCAA again, does it become a problem that Stone has had the A10 POY two years in a row but has been unable to capitalize on that? 

I understand where that program has come from and I think she has done a really nice job here. But two straight years of terribly soft scheduling has been quite the error for her. 

Of course winning the A10 tournament would put an end to that line of discussion, although the scheduling really should be much stronger than 254 SOS. 

I'd think the only thing SLU should be considering with Coach Stone is how many times do they kiss her ass and say Thanks.

45 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

-scheduling requires a team on the other side

-I am not a real close follower of the program but I am not to the point of complaining, yet, I hope the recruiting is filling the pipeline

There has been a pretty big dropoff in recruiting classes the last couple years, but they should still be pretty good next year with Kemph/McMahan/Vliet/Franz/Gits. As far as scheduling goes, I can understand it's tough to get home games considering SLU's tack record as a program. But it should be easy enough to play more road games against better opponents if that's what it takes not to have such a dismal SOS. There were six non-con road games this year, but most of them were against mediocre local-ish schools. On the other hand, they also lost a couple of those road games, so maybe scheduling more and tougher ones wouldn't have worked out so hot.