women's thread

Cowboy

Lady Bills beat VCU tonight at home 77-72.  We had a solid 15 point lead at the half, 48-33 but nearly fell apart in the 2nd half when VCU began pressing. Turnover after turnover including a 5 second count, a 10 second count and too-many-to-list wild passes by our most experienced ball handlers. I wondered if they had ever seen a press before. I am hopeful that Coach Stone will take the necessary steps to correct this. Jordyn Frantz had two HUUUGE treys after we fell behind by four with just a couple of minutes left. And VCU had a 5 second count of their own with 16 seconds left, down two with a throw-in under the basket. The defense really came through there.

Lifted from the AD website:

•After jumping out to leads of 7-0 and 12-4, Saint Louis settled for a 20-18 edge after one quarter.

•The Billikens began the second quarter with a 10-2 run, capped by 3-pointers from Jackie Kemph and Jordyn Frantz, for their first double-digit lead, 30-20.

•SLU went on to outscore VCU 28-15 in the period to take a 48-33 advantage to the locker room.

•The lead was 55-37 midway through the third quarter when VCU began its comeback. From the 5:20 mark of the third quarter to the 2:07 mark of the fourth, the Rams outscored the Billikens 35-13 to go on top 72-68.

•But Frantz drilled 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions for a 74-72 Saint Louis lead, and the Billikens held VCU scoreless on the Rams’ final four possessions. Kemph sank two free throws with 15 seconds left and another with a tick remaining for the final score.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Lady Bills beat VCU tonight at home 77-72.  We had a solid 15 point lead at the half, 48-33 but nearly fell apart in the 2nd half when VCU began pressing. Turnover after turnover including a 5 second count, a 10 second count and too-many-to-list wild passes by our most experienced ball handlers. I wondered if they had ever seen a press before. I am hopeful that Coach Stone will take the necessary steps to correct this. Jordyn Frantz had two HUUUGE treys after we fell behind by four with just a couple of minutes left. And VCU had a 5 second count of their own with 16 seconds left, down two with a throw-in under the basket. The defense really came through there.

Lifted from the AD website:

•After jumping out to leads of 7-0 and 12-4, Saint Louis settled for a 20-18 edge after one quarter.

•The Billikens began the second quarter with a 10-2 run, capped by 3-pointers from Jackie Kemph and Jordyn Frantz, for their first double-digit lead, 30-20.

•SLU went on to outscore VCU 28-15 in the period to take a 48-33 advantage to the locker room.

•The lead was 55-37 midway through the third quarter when VCU began its comeback. From the 5:20 mark of the third quarter to the 2:07 mark of the fourth, the Rams outscored the Billikens 35-13 to go on top 72-68.

•But Frantz drilled 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions for a 74-72 Saint Louis lead, and the Billikens held VCU scoreless on the Rams’ final four possessions. Kemph sank two free throws with 15 seconds left and another with a tick remaining for the final score.

-well, at least they won and didn't have to take a bus

-not about our women, but what UConn is doing on this winning streak is quite impressive, they wear a target every time out and still get wins, in my mind not to the level of UCLA's 7 straight championships or 10 in 12 years, but noteworthy at the least

The Ladies won a tough one tonight at Chaifetz on Senior Night behind Sadie Stipanovich's 21 points and 11 rebounds. The final was 73-66 over the Richmond Spiders who came in 7-7 and 13-14 overall. Richmond just would not go away and came back from 13 down to make it a one possession game into the final minute. Both a basket at 0:22 and two free throws at 0:06 by Jackie Kemph sealed the win.

After the game, Sadie Stipanovich, Erin Nelson and Olivia Jakubicek were  honored as seniors. Coach Stone said the 75 wins by the class of 2017 are a school record for the women's team. Hopefully there are several more to come this year. They travel to Dayton on Wednesday to face the first place Flyers.

Lady Bills are now 12-3 (22-6) and a half game behind Dayton pending the Flyer's game tomorrow at  9-5 Fordham.

9 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

The Fordham women upset Dayton today 66-52 to create a 3 way tie for first place in the A-10, SLU, Dayton and GW all with a 12-3 record. The Lady Bills end the regular season at Dayton, and GW plays at Richmond, both games on Wednesday night.

So if the women win they get the number 1 seed, correct?

11 hours ago, White Pelican said:

The Fordham women upset Dayton today 66-52 to create a 3 way tie for first place in the A-10, SLU, Dayton and GW all with a 12-3 record. The Lady Bills end the regular season at Dayton, and GW plays at Richmond, both games on Wednesday night.

-it would be really nice for the Ladies to beat Dayton at their place, I hope it happens

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Does anyone have any info on incoming freshman recruits?  Losing Sadie is a big loss.  Are there any STL area players that Stone might have a chance to get?

I have looked at the SLU website and can't find any recruiting info.

5'8" guard Tasia Jeffries. Louisville 

5'9" guard Ellie Taylor Midland, Michigan

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Does anyone have any info on incoming freshman recruits?  Losing Sadie is a big loss.  Are there any STL area players that Stone might have a chance to get?

I have looked at the SLU website and can't find any recruiting info.

Not only Sadie, but also Jakubicek.  Between those two the lady Bills will lose over 30% of their rebounding.  Gits, Dusharm, and Wilken are going to have to step up big time since as slu72 fan points out they only have guards coming in.

Erin Nelson hasn't been a big contributor since her freshman year, but I wonder if she'll apply for a medical redshirt.  She only played 4 mins her junior year due to injury.  She is shooting over 50% from 3pt land in limited minutes, so I think there is a role for her to fill next year.

I don't have any special knowledge of the situation but unless another 'big' is coming, I assume that Maddie Gits will be the center next year. She'll be a senior, is IMHO a pretty good post player and can shoot some from outside.

Also, senior Olivia Jakubicek is the 2nd leading rebounder (behind Sadie) on the team and actually plays a couple of minutes more than Sadie. So we are losing the two top rebounders.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Not only Sadie, but also Jakubicek.  Between those two the lady Bills will lose over 30% of their rebounding.  Gits, Dusharm, and Wilken are going to have to step up big time since as slu72 fan points out they only have guards coming in.

Erin Nelson hasn't been a big contributor since her freshman year, but I wonder if she'll apply for a medical redshirt.  She only played 4 mins her junior year due to injury.  She is shooting over 50% from 3pt land in limited minutes, so I think there is a role for her to fill next year.

I don't expect Nelson back. She was honored on senior night and Coach Stone said that both she and Sadie already had jobs lined up. (I know, things can change, but she's played so little this year that I think she sees the handwriting on the wall.)

-the two teams with us at the top....

-I looked at Dayton's roster and stats and if all holds next year they will return 4 of their top 6 scorers and their top 4 rebounders

-for GW they will lose their top 3 scorers who are also their top 3 rebounders 

-I did not look at who either will have as far as recruits or other factors or StJ's (one game back) or FU (two)

38 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Also, senior Olivia Jakubicek is the 2nd leading rebounder (behind Sadie) on the team and actually plays a couple of minutes more than Sadie. So we are losing the two top rebounders.

Olivia does so much more. She's the best defender, takes the charge, makes the extra pass. She is going to be very hard to replace. Obviously, Sadie is, also, but don't underestimate Olivia's loss. What a great walk on she was!

9 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Olivia does so much more. She's the best defender, takes the charge, makes the extra pass. She is going to be very hard to replace. Obviously, Sadie is, also, but don't underestimate Olivia's loss. What a great walk on she was!

-I didn't know Olivia walked on, wow and good for her, hope she ends her career after a few SLU wins in the NCAA tourney

1 hour ago, slu72 fan said:

5'8" guard Tasia Jeffries. Louisville 

5'9" guard Ellie Taylor Midland, Michigan

It seems to me that Lisa Stone needs to develop a STL recruiting connection. Surely there is some D-1 level talent in STL that could help the team.

57 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

44 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I didn't know Olivia walked on, wow and good for her, hope she ends her career after a few SLU wins in the NCAA tourney

Oh, I'm a BIG Olivia J. fan. And I know she'll be missed. And just to be clear, I believe she was a walk-on just her freshman year. At least that's what I understood Coach Stone to say on senior night. And I too, did not know that.

40 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Oh, I'm a BIG Olivia J. fan. And I know she'll be missed. And just to be clear, I believe she was a walk-on just her freshman year. At least that's what I understood Coach Stone to say on senior night. And I too, did not know that.

Actually, she got a scholarship second semester of her freshman year.