women's thread

Cowboy

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched from the middle of the 2nd quarter through the second 1/2. I have no idea how good the Lady Welders are but they were never really in the game (kind of reminded me of our men's team). I thought we looked pretty good and we have a good record. How come the team has such a high RPI? I see Fordham, GW & UD all higher. Weren't we pre-season favorite to win the A10?  

2 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Watched from the middle of the 2nd quarter through the second 1/2. I have no idea how good the Lady Welders are but they were never really in the game (kind of reminded me of our men's team). I thought we looked pretty good and we have a good record. How come the team has such a high RPI? I see Fordham, GW & UD all higher. Weren't we pre-season favorite to win the A10?  

If you play a bunch of bad teams who play bad teams, you'll have a lousy RPI ranking, regardless of how many points you win by.  That's one of the reasons why RPI is rather flawed at ranking teams.  The Bills will almost certainly need to win the Conf. Tourney to get in the NCAA Tournament, and they probably won't get a decent seed even if they were to run the table the rest of the season.

10 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

If you play a bunch of bad teams who play bad teams, you'll have a lousy RPI ranking, regardless of how many points you win by.  That's one of the reasons why RPI is rather flawed at ranking teams.  The Bills will almost certainly need to win the Conf. Tourney to get in the NCAA Tournament, and they probably won't get a decent seed even if they were to run the table the rest of the season.

George Mason, who they beat by almost 40, is before us in the NCAA RPI. Those schools I mentioned a head of us and Duquesne are coming up. Also, they kind of luck out, those teams that are ranked higher then them in the RPI they play them at home. Is winning all these games enough to get in the NCAAs if you exit the A10 Tourney early? 

On 1/11/2017 at 7:42 AM, brianstl said:

The women's team currently stands at 131 in the official NCAA RPI rankings and 62 in the Sagarin rankings headed into today's game.  The spread between the two rankings is pretty amazing.  They won't get any kind of real boost in the RPI by winning today.   The Bonnies have an RPI of 241.

The win moved the ladies up to 130 today in the RPI rankings.  The team dropped to 65 in Sagarin.

Can we do a huge favor? No talk about what we need to get an at large pick until a team's RPI is at least on the way to 50 or better. When fans do this for marginal teams that are in the 130's it irks me.  24 wins wasn't enough last year for the St Louisians to be selected at large, and this is not looking like a 24 win regular season.

There was some talk here of St Louis going undefeated in the A10 because it is a weak conference. Now that reality has set in, remember,  Duquesne is superior quality and some of that still exists in the A10 even though it may have seemed latent a few days ago it was out there. SJU winners of four straight. La Salle upset Richmond and Dayton both on the road. This is anyone's conference, including ours if we find our way again!

46 minutes ago, fallie.jj said:

Can we do a huge favor? No talk about what we need to get an at large pick until a team's RPI is at least on the way to 50 or better. When fans do this for marginal teams that are in the 130's it irks me.  24 wins wasn't enough last year for the St Louisians to be selected at large, and this is not looking like a 24 win regular season.

There was some talk here of St Louis going undefeated in the A10 because it is a weak conference. Now that reality has set in, remember,  Duquesne is superior quality and some of that still exists in the A10 even though it may have seemed latent a few days ago it was out there. SJU winners of four straight. La Salle upset Richmond and Dayton both on the road. This is anyone's conference, including ours if we find our way again!

Do you understand what a fan message board is?

Can we do a huge favor and refrain from asking for favors on your 1st post?

Lastly, with the history of the women's program, I think it was great that people were so excited they wanted to talk about going undefeated in the league and possibly getting an at-large bid. I'd bet the team also loves the fans feeling that hope.

1 hour ago, fallie.jj said:

Are you...are you a bot?

The Ladies won again last night on the road at UMass.

Lifted from the SLUBillikens website:

Jordyn Frantz and Jenny Vliet scored 16 points apiece, and Sadie Stipanovich and Jackie Kemph tossed in 14 each to lead Saint Louis to an 81-60 Atlantic 10 Conference victory over Massachusetts Wednesday night at the Mullins Center.

•The Billikens, ranked No. 10 in the ESPNW national mid-major poll, improved to 18-5 overall and 8-2 in the league with their fourth straight win. They are in second place in the A-10 standings, one game behind Dayton.

•UMass fell to 9-15 overall and 3-8 in the conference with its fifth consecutive defeat.

-ladies lost at home today to StJoe's to fall in a three way tie for 2nd, we've known for a while that winning the A10 tourney is their only route to the NCAA

-side note, Alli LaForce was the analyst on the CBSSports broadcast and did a very good job, imo

12 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-ladies lost at home today to StJoe's to fall in a three way tie for 2nd, we've known for a while that winning the A10 tourney is their only route to the NCAA

-side note, Alli LaForce was the analyst on the CBSSports broadcast and did a very good job, imo

I was at the game. A tough loss. The program notes pointed out that (in conference games) SLU was #1 in offense with 75 ppg. St. Joe was #1 in defense with 55 ppg allowed. It was obvious early on that SJ's defense was winning that battle of #1's. Lady Bills struggled all game to get open shots. Had chances at the end to both win and tie but couldn't get it done. Agree, will have to win the tourney to go to the dance, I suspect they will be back in the NIT.