women's thread

Cowboy

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

I don't follow the women's team but if they don't win their conference tournament would they be in line for an at-large bid?

Their record is 9-3 and yet their official RPI is 163.  That should tell you how weak their schedule was (despite having 3 legit games in a row lately).  The A-10 is not a strong conference but it is not a cakewalk either so it would seem very unlikely they could earn an at large bid.  If they win out I compute them getting into the RPI high 50's.  They would make a strong case using other profile criteria particularly if they were winning by decent margins and the committee was looking at Sagarin/Pomeroy/BPI/Dolphin as well.  Basically, it is highly unlikely to near impossible for them to get an at-large.

12 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I've come to like the idea. And there are no one-and-ones. You always shoot two free throws, either for a shooting foul, or because the other team has committed 5 in the quarter.  (Still a single free throw when fouled during a made basket, same as usual.)

But there is one women's rule I don't like even though we took advantage of it tonight. In the final 59.9 seconds, if you call a timeout after the opponent makes a hoop, you get the option to move the throw-in to your own front court. That's a gimmick worthy of the old ABA.

The NBA uses it also.  That is where the women got it from.

On 12/8/2016 at 6:11 PM, doowop said:

The elite programs are fewer and further away from the rest of the field.

I have to agree with doowop.  As tough as it is to become a perennial power in men's bball it seems to be a lot more difficult in women's. 

56 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

Their record is 9-3 and yet their official RPI is 163.  That should tell you how weak their schedule was (despite having 3 legit games in a row lately).  The A-10 is not a strong conference but it is not a cakewalk either so it would seem very unlikely they could earn an at large bid.  If they win out I compute them getting into the RPI high 50's.  They would make a strong case using other profile criteria particularly if they were winning by decent margins and the committee was looking at Sagarin/Pomeroy/BPI/Dolphin as well.  Basically, it is highly unlikely to near impossible for them to get an at-large.

-if the ladies are to dance it sure looks like winning the conf tourney in Richmond would be the only route to an invitation so stay healthy and make it happen

16 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-great crowd, announced at 4 thousand something, it was close to double that, not sure how they counted as the usher just waved in our group, didn't look for a ticket

Stu had 6,288 in his game story today.  Not sure how they determined it either because he tweeted the announced crowd so not sure where the updated number came from.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Sounds like a transfer. Sounds like a big deal the way they say it. There is a St. Louis player that plays for Connecticut. 

No way it is Napheesa Collier.  I wish it was, but the best player at UConn isn't coming to SLU.

10 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Seems like an over reaction for an OK recruit.

Just from what I read about her, this is exactly the kind of player the women need to land to keep building the program.  SLU's women's program has zero history.  This is a big get for them when it comes to an out of the area recruit.  They beat out a couple of teams in Iowa and South Dakota that are at worst bubble teams.

4 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Article by Jesus Ortiz about Jackie Kemph.

Link

Thanks _06. She's obviously a talented player. It's great to hear that she's a dedicated student too.

Got a game tonight. Need to avenge last year's OT loss to George Mason. Go Bills!