women's thread

Cowboy

5 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't follow women's basketball much (but I would like to see the Billikens' squad make this year's NCAA Tournament), but it seems to me that the "landscape" in the women's game is stratified even worse than in the men's game.  The elite programs are fewer and further away from the rest of the field.  It seems there are no more than four programs that the national champion will come from each and every year.

Not so this year.  At least eight to ten teams could win it this season.  However, for the next two seasons, with the class they have coming in next season, UCONN will be favored to win the NCAA Championship again.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but they built up a 12 point second half lead and let it all slip away. Down by a point a couple of times but pulled out a 73-70 win. Washington State had the ball in the final seconds but the Bills wouldn't let them get a decent 3 point shot. Their final shot attempt clanked off the rim and bounced away and time ran out. Bills broke a 2 game losing streak and face Missouri on Wed. nite.

I was at the game. Slow start had them down 6 or 8 early. They fought back and built a lead as high as 12 I believe but consistently at 8. Then they seemed to look to work the clock in the 4th qtr and Wash St got the momentum hitting a few 3's but mostly because they probably had 5 or 6 offensive rebounds in the qtr. I can remember 3-3's that were hit with 2nd chance shot's {1 on a 3rd chance} They went down 3 or 5 at one point which caused them to play at a faster pace and become more aggressive and they regained the lead. Maybe we can get the girls to help the guys at the line after going 17-20

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-SLU women have never defeated Mizzou women, would be a good win 

Thanks Cowboy. I've been wondering if they'd ever beat them. I'm looking forward to going to the game but I'm not expecting a win. We've stumbled already too many times against lesser teams. Will be at Chaifetz though, so you never know. Hope there is a nice crowd although I guess there might be a lot of their people there too.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Thanks Cowboy. I've been wondering if they'd ever beat them. I'm looking forward to going to the game but I'm not expecting a win. We've stumbled already too many times against lesser teams. Will be at Chaifetz though, so you never know. Hope there is a nice crowd although I guess there might be a lot of their people there too.

The Shoes are planning on going and this will be the first this year so I hope there will be a nice crowd. The Mizzou men are playing at the same time against Illinois so I'd think their fans would head to the Scottrade but you never know.

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The Shoes are planning on going and this will be the first this year so I hope there will be a nice crowd. The Mizzou men are playing at the same time against Illinois so I'd think their fans would head to the Scottrade but you never know.

Well, for what used to be a sold-out event annually (and in just a few minutes after the tickets went on sale), there are many seats available.  Interest has waned.  There may be more people following the Mizzou women's team, which had been ranked in the Top 25.

If your going to the game tonight, the game preview says:

FREE CRAFT BEER TASTING PRIOR TO TIPOFF

•Lohr Distributing will host a free craft beer tasting in Chaifetz Pavilion from 5:30-7 p.m. The event is open to adults 21 and older with a valid ID.

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211370001

Wasn't that a beauty?  We'd lost to them all 20 that have been played (they started in the 75-76 season) and now finally have won one.

Two of our starters (Frantz and Jakubicek) went out with 2 fouls each early on.  We fell into a deep hole that I didn't see us coming out of. But what a fourth quarter.

A rather large contingent of Tiger fans and they made all the noise for most of the game. But they were very quiet went it ended. And that is a very good Missouri team, must give them credit.

BTW, what's with the SLU hat and the Tiger jacket?  A SLU-ZOO look. Too many "fans" dressed like that.

20 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Why does womens NCAA basketball have quarters instead of halves like men?

Makes the game flow better as you don't shoot FTs on common fouls until the 5th foul in each quarter. College men may be moving in this direction.

Great game, what a finish. Even though the ladies are known for late comebacks, I must say I did not see this coming. Down 15 at start of 4th qtr (18 down just earlier, I think,) they weren't shooting well or taking care of the ball.

But then Jackie turned loose, Stipo made some shots and McMahan brought great energy and big shots. Big victory. After a few tough losses, Bills' pregame RPI was at 190, (Mizzou at 52.) We beat a good team.

Go Bills!

25 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Makes the game flow better as you don't shoot FTs on common fouls until the 5th foul in each quarter. College men may be moving in this direction.

I've come to like the idea. And there are no one-and-ones. You always shoot two free throws, either for a shooting foul, or because the other team has committed 5 in the quarter.  (Still a single free throw when fouled during a made basket, same as usual.)

But there is one women's rule I don't like even though we took advantage of it tonight. In the final 59.9 seconds, if you call a timeout after the opponent makes a hoop, you get the option to move the throw-in to your own front court. That's a gimmick worthy of the old ABA.

-good win for the ladies, let's see what they do with it

-great crowd, announced at 4 thousand something, it was close to double that, not sure how they counted as the usher just waved in our group, didn't look for a ticket

-that is among the poorest officiated games I have seen, from both sides, wow they were bad and horribly inconsistent

-it was fun, especially the end, and neat for the ladies to come back on the floor to sign autographs, including for many black and gold wearing kids

I was there with my son in law & grand daughter - it looked like deers in the headlights for us - Jackie was stuffed on her drives and all of Sadie's bunnies rolled off the rim.  Down double digits at the half, SLU made up no ground in the 3rd Q.  However, the 4th Q was a quick turnaround and our ladies played with confidence for the remainder.  Sophie Cunningham is the real deal - I wasn't comfortable until she fouled out.  It was a total team effort for us in the 4th Q - all played with confidence & contributed.  This team deserves our support.