women's thread

Cowboy

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know little to nothing about Women's college basketball.  That being said, looking at the lady Bills schedule, I'm wondering if they can't go undefeated with a few lucky breaks or at least post a ridiculous record.  The schedule looks kind of weak.  I'm guessing Indiana state, Mizzou, and then whoever the other top A10 teams are will be the biggest challenges.

I was at the game yesterday and they are very good. Jackie is outstanding. She just seems to have another gear she can go to whenever she wants along with better court vision than I've seen from a SLU basketball player since H. She also isn't the entire team. Jordan Franz is fantastic, just an all around scoring guard. Jenny Vilet is a 6'2" guard/forward that knocks down the 3. Olivia Jacubek (sp) is a very good rebounder who can also score. Sadie is very good center as is her back up Madison Gits. Aliyah Covington didn't play but she's also a very good scoring guard. She didn't dress so I'm assuming she's hurt.

Those of you who won't go see the ladies play because the quality of basketball isn't good enough are missing out as the quality of basketball is probably better than most men's teams SLU has had over the last 25 years.

3 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

Aliyah injured her back, and may be out a bit, so her Mom says.

Good home games coming up against Wash. State on 12/18 and Mizzou on 12/21. Please come, the women have earned the support. 

Hard for me to make many. Coaching and work get in the way. 

I bought a women's season ticket this year after attending several of their games last year, including the WNIT games. It helped ease the pain of watching the men. I prefer to see well-played winning basketball and that means Lisa Stone's team for the foreseeable future. And yes, they are very, very good. The kind of good I never expected to see from SLU women's basketball.

I wish the men had a point guard as good as Jackie. And I too am very impressed with Jordyn Frantz, who looked good last year as a frosh but seems much improved already this season. There seem to be no weak areas on the team. And they don't lose much when the back-ups are in either.

They like to fast-break the other team to death after a steal or a rebound. And they can finish at the hoop. They are worth going to see.

-women lost on Saturday at Ark-Little Rock, seems like a bad loss, UALR lost by 10 at 16th ranked Oklahoma but then lost by 22 at Fordham so not sure what to think

-in q2 the Bills were 1-10 from field and in q4 were 3-13 so going 4-23 in half the game typically won't get it done

-to offset the first post in this thread...2-11 fg, 1-5 3pt, 1-2 ft, 5 a's and 5 t/o's for JKemph, ouch

-this is from the SLU website describing the game against SEMO.... SLU, ranked No. 6 in the ESPN national mid-major poll, led 26-11 after one quarter and 47-21 at halftime. The Billikens put together a sizzling first-half run in which they scored on 19 of 24 possessions.  - is the A10 considered mid-major for women's hoops?

Yes and no.  Losing Xavier was a blow to the league, more so than the mens.  There is still some women's power in the South so conferences like the Colonial and Sun Belt are much better in Women's ball than mens.  Then the disparity in conference's and teams are much greater.  Womens is more like the men in the 70s.  A handful of great teams whose benches could win most other league's title.  Much bigger disparity in the power conferences.  The A10 can get as high as 7 or 8 in the rankings but can also be as low as 14 or 15.  It is a decent usually multi bid league though.

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

Yes and no.  Losing Xavier was a blow to the league, more so than the mens.  There is still some women's power in the South so conferences like the Colonial and Sun Belt are much better in Women's ball than mens.  Then the disparity in conference's and teams are much greater.  Womens is more like the men in the 70s.  A handful of great teams whose benches could win most other league's title.  Much bigger disparity in the power conferences.  The A10 can get as high as 7 or 8 in the rankings but can also be as low as 14 or 15.  It is a decent usually multi bid league though.

-thanks

Went to the women's game against Indiana State to try and avoid thinking about the men's game in Wichita. Unfortunately, a poor shooting night and  what seemed like our team just not into it. Lost 70-67. Down 10 or 11 in the second half and made a late run and got within one but couldn't get it done. The Sycamores don't look like anything special to me but we couldn't beat them on our home floor.

Checked the men's score at halftime. Thought it must have been a mistake on espn's site. 36-9, really???

12 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Went to the women's game against Indiana State to try and avoid thinking about the men's game in Wichita. Unfortunately, a poor shooting night and  what seemed like our team just not into it. Lost 70-67. Down 10 or 11 in the second half and made a late run and got within one but couldn't get it done. The Sycamores don't look like anything special to me but we couldn't beat them on our home floor.

Checked the men's score at halftime. Thought it must have been a mistake on espn's site. 36-9, really???

-granted both on the road, but really good teams win on the road, did I buy misplaced hype? I sure hope not

3 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Women's game was at Chaifetz with a tiny crowd.

Jackie was honored with one of those ceremonial game balls prior to the game for attaining 1000 points in her SLU career.

-wow, I thought it was on the road, even worse

Their RPI is currently 160th even though they are 7-2.  They have played one of the easiest schedules so far in D-1.  The good news is that have 3 games against decent teams coming up to prove themselves (at Tulsa, and then home to Missouri and Wash St.).  The bad news is the A10 is worse than previous years so it is going to be tough to get enough quality wins to prove themselves.  Basically, this team can only afford a few more losses and even then the SOS is so bad that an at-large is not a likely result.  This team needs to win a lot of games (and they will but it may not be enough).

1 hour ago, kwyjibo said:

Their RPI is currently 160th even though they are 7-2.  They have played one of the easiest schedules so far in D-1.  The good news is that have 3 games against decent teams coming up to prove themselves (at Tulsa, and then home to Missouri and Wash St.).  The bad news is the A10 is worse than previous years so it is going to be tough to get enough quality wins to prove themselves.  Basically, this team can only afford a few more losses and even then the SOS is so bad that an at-large is not a likely result.  This team needs to win a lot of games (and they will but it may not be enough).

I don't follow women's basketball much (but I would like to see the Billikens' squad make this year's NCAA Tournament), but it seems to me that the "landscape" in the women's game is stratified even worse than in the men's game.  The elite programs are fewer and further away from the rest of the field.  It seems there are no more than four programs that the national champion will come from each and every year.

They miss the two seniors from last year's team more than they thought. They haven't really replaced them. They only have one contributor from their last two recruiting classes and the two transfers haven't done much. One is serviceable, the other doesn't see the court. Why bring in transfers if they aren't going to be significant contributors?

32 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't follow women's basketball much (but I would like to see the Billikens' squad make this year's NCAA Tournament), but it seems to me that the "landscape" in the women's game is stratified even worse than in the men's game.  The elite programs are fewer and further away from the rest of the field.  It seems there are no more than four programs that the national champion will come from each and every year.

This is true although this is becoming less true over time.  Using power ratings there is generally a greater spread from top to bottom in women's than men's (currently spread is 11% greater).  However, the womens's spread in 2000 is 82% greater than the current spread women's spread (using Massey Ratings).  The spread in the men's game is getting smaller as well.

5 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

`9iko