SLU-Dayton Rivalry: The Arch-Baron Cup

Pistol

It has been brought to my attention by a friend who also happens to be a huge Dayton fan (he's an alum) that readers of their unofficial blog, the Blackburn Review, have been calling the UD-SLU series the "Arch-Baron Cup". Here's the story. Basically the first half of the BR post gives the "history" of the Arch-Baron name before breaking down a scouting report on SLU. Oddly enough, the "Arch" here is UD and SLU is the "Baron" half. This apparently had a little steam with some SLU and UD students going back and forth on Twitter a while back, but has yet to extend beyond that or UD's loyal fans online.

It's pretty much an inside joke at this point but I'm wondering if we should bring it over here and run with it to give the SLU-UD rivalry a nudge, just a year before we're good again and able to make the rivalry competitive again. There are a lot of possibilities here - an actual cup, for one. Signs. General trash talk. Twitter wars.

What do you guys think? Willing to run with the "Arch-Baron Cup" name for the rivalry and add some fun to the series?

I'm too drunk to read the link you posted, but will definitely brush up on it at a later date. I've been seeing UD fans post this Arch-Baron cup stuff in replies to SLU/UD related tweets (@ Rothstein, etc) and I'd see those and be like wtf are these guys talking about? It all sounds about right now lol

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:34 AM, JMM28 said:

Might I suggest the trophy be very large with the top featuring Rick Majerus crapping into a towel held by Brian Gregory?

Feel free to show us a design mock-up.

On 11/23/2016 at 4:00 PM, Pistol said:

It has been brought to my attention by a friend who also happens to be a huge Dayton fan (he's an alum) that readers of their unofficial blog, the Blackburn Review, have been calling the UD-SLU series the "Arch-Baron Cup". Here's the story. Basically the first half of the BR post gives the "history" of the Arch-Baron name before breaking down a scouting report on SLU. Oddly enough, the "Arch" here is UD and SLU is the "Baron" half. This apparently had a little steam with some SLU and UD students going back and forth on Twitter a while back, but has yet to extend beyond that or UD's loyal fans online.

It's pretty much an inside joke at this point but I'm wondering if we should bring it over here and run with it to give the SLU-UD rivalry a nudge, just a year before we're good again and able to make the rivalry competitive again. There are a lot of possibilities here - an actual cup, for one. Signs. General trash talk. Twitter wars.

What do you guys think? Willing to run with the "Arch-Baron Cup" name for the rivalry and add some fun to the series?

Yes, we should absolutely embrace this with all the enthusiasm it deserves, here is why:

1) I hate Dayton: I don't care if the trophy is real, fake, or called the "Magical Fairyland Awesome Award." If it means beating Dayton in basketball... I want it. Regardless of how either institution feels about it, we are now each others primary rivalry, plain and simple.

2) Trophy games are dumb anyways... Jeweled Shilleglagh? Land-Grant Trophy? They're all dumb, so we've already checked off the step of having a meaningless trophy.

3) Trophies that ironically poke fun at Trophy Games are the only good types of trophy games. If you haven't read about the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy    and how it was embraced by both teams and fan bases... You need to do so, it is what college athletics is all about. 

Go to Hell Dayton. Bring the Trophy home.

PS- The fake "history" behind the cup is also stupid. Although the Blackburn Review usually has some pretty funny content.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:
2 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Regardless of how either institution feels about it, we are now each others primary rivalry, plain and simple.

-do Dayton fans think this is the case? do SLU fans think this is the case?

I tend to think of them as our rival... For sure. Who else would it be?

Xavier is gone... We are the left behind members of the "A10 West." Its a natural rivalry.

The impression that I get from UD fans - and I interact with a lot of them, living in Cincy - is that they consider SLU to be their primary A10 rival. They seem even hungrier for a true rival now that they don't play Xavier anymore.

On 11/28/2016 at 1:20 PM, Pistol said:

The impression that I get from UD fans - and I interact with a lot of them, living in Cincy - is that they consider SLU to be their primary A10 rival. They seem even hungrier for a true rival now that they don't play Xavier anymore.

once SLU is good again that will be a barnburner of a series, like it was under Rickma. VCU too, ive considered them a rival ever since the CBI tourney.

the rhody coach can draw out the worst in any fan base.

too much stuff like GMU and Fordham and LaSalle in this conference.. id like to see another team from further west.

what a shame that this program hired Crews. absolute disaster.

On 11/24/2016 at 9:34 AM, JMM28 said:

Might I suggest the trophy be very large with the top featuring Rick Majerus crapping into a towel held by Brian Gregory?

i think SVU fans might approve of that design.. gregory wasnt very good(he was and is obviously better than the Worst Coaching Duo of All-time, Crewsplatt)

They despised Gregory. that is my observation from talking to UD fans in UD arena.

16 hours ago, Soderball said:

They despised Gregory. that is my observation from talking to UD fans in UD arena.

This is true.

Funny that it came down to Soderberg and Gregory at one point, and neither ended up being a very good option.

Dayton fans are a strange bunch.  They can keep their sweater vests, their crappy band, their crappy city, their stupid fake story cup and their preseason championship banners to themselves.  I all I want is to return to kicking their ass in St Louis on Mardi Gras parade day and ruining their senior night in Dayton.  That is when SLU and Dayton should play every year and those victories are the only reward I need.

I think we could get Yadier Molina to donate one of his cups & get it bronzed & engraved.  It should stay in a position of prominence near the Chaifetz bust.  Maybe it would draw some Cardinal fans as a shrine for a HOF catcher. ?