Goodwin

WVBilliken

Saw on another thread that Goodwin had 35 pts in a recent game.  In HS is he playing PG or SG?  Hoping his HS coach has him at least handling the ball most of the time.

Given the lack of PGs on the current roster can he play PG and be an improvement over Bishop?  Understand, like Bishop a lot and think next year, he can transition to be a better play maker once he has scoring help come in (3 transfers, 2 frosh).  This year it is obvious that he needs to score.

Still would like to see a true PG come in, a high 3 star or 4 star, not a project, or a JC or graduate transfer PG.  AND we need a big body.  Not sure how that happens with one scholarship but seems someone always leaves or graduates early.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodwin drive to the lane then kicks out to Marvin Bateman for the three.   Marvin had 9 three pointers last night.   he's the best outside shooter in the metro st louis area.  unfortunately up to this point, shooting 3's seems to be his only attribute and will be over looked by most college programs.   I wish the billikens had a shooter close to what Bateman is.

Came away very impressed with Goodwin after last night.  First time I've seen him play live and his size and build really stuck out to me along with his overall quickness, both his foot speed and his hands which lead to a number of steals...he also wasn't afraid to dive after loose balls and put his body on the line.  IMO his skill set and what he brings will immediately translate to the college level.  Would be shocked if he doesn't start next year.

Specifically in regards to the game, Goodwin was a man among boys against Highland who was completely over matched and I have to suspect that it was tough for him and the Crusaders to get up for this game after O'Fallon the night before. He rebounded at will and had a thunderous dunk in the 2nd half unlike anything we've seen at SLU in my 25 years as a fan.  He missed several bunnies off the back of the rim on drives through the lane or could have easily had 20+ points.  The game wasn't a track meet and there was really no need for him to take over, he stepped up when needed but was content to let the game come to him and get his teammates involved, especially Marvin Bateman who was unconscious in the first half and ended up with 8 3's.   He played a mix of positions shifting from PG to the 2, 3 and 4 but again he wasn't forced to show all of his skill.

Really looking forward to getting back over to Highland on 1/7 for their annual shootout tournament . Althoff plays East Side in the headline game (not sure how they will handle Tillman) and Webster plays Belleville East earlier in the day.  Good opportunity to see both our prized local recruits on the same day.  Full lineup here http://www.highlandshootout.com/.

10 hours ago, kappy96 said:

Came away very impressed with Goodwin after last night.  First time I've seen him play live and his size and build really stuck out to me along with his overall quickness, both his foot speed and his hands which lead to a number of steals...he also wasn't afraid to dive after loose balls and put his body on the line.  IMO his skill set and what he brings will immediately translate to the college level.  Would be shocked if he doesn't start next year.

Specifically in regards to the game, Goodwin was a man among boys against Highland who was completely over matched and I have to suspect that it was tough for him and the Crusaders to get up for this game after O'Fallon the night before. He rebounded at will and had a thunderous dunk in the 2nd half unlike anything we've seen at SLU in my 25 years as a fan.  He missed several bunnies off the back of the rim on drives through the lane or could have easily had 20+ points.  The game wasn't a track meet and there was really no need for him to take over, he stepped up when needed but was content to let the game come to him and get his teammates involved, especially Marvin Bateman who was unconscious in the first half and ended up with 8 3's.   He played a mix of positions shifting from PG to the 2, 3 and 4 but again he wasn't forced to show all of his skill.

Really looking forward to getting back over to Highland on 1/7 for their annual shootout tournament . Althoff plays East Side in the headline game (not sure how they will handle Tillman) and Webster plays Belleville East earlier in the day.  Good opportunity to see both our prized local recruits on the same day.  Full lineup here http://www.highlandshootout.com/.

MBM party bus!

• 1 month later...

Goodwin and Gordon will be playing in back to back games on 2/7/17, at the Bank of O'Fallon Shootout. Too bad the overall student support of our team isn't better, it would be nice to see a group of them at this local tournament wearing SLU gear, for both of these games. I would think these recruits would love that.

http://hoops.ofallonsports.com/index.php/bank-of-o-fallon-shootout

White Pelican "it's out of place" usually indicates a dislocation. If that is the case, the dislocation can be reduced (the joint put back in place) right in the locker room. It hurts like the blazes when done without analgesics or even anesthesia. In a very muscular guy (like Goodwin is likely to be) it is very difficult to do it raw like that and requires a huge amount of force to get the joint back in place, so they may have delayed until after the game is over and they can go to a hospital. In this case the ice would be a temporal fix to reduce the inflammation. Please keep in mind that a certain percentage, not insignificant, of all traumatic dislocations include fractures which make the repair and healing much more difficult and lengthier. I would say, if he has a dislocation of either kind, that he will be off for the remaining games of the HS season. Whether he will be in shape or not for practice with the Bills in the fall depends on what actually happened and the extent of the injury. Remember, all of this discussion is based solely upon a phrase "it's out of place." It could be something else altogether, we will find out I assume. 

Westy "separation" may be similar to a dislocation but not quite totally out of the socket, what is called a subluxation of the joint. Again we do not know the extent of the injury as of now. A subluxation is easier to treat and takes less time to recover. It can recur, remember Grandy?

From medicinenet.com:

Shoulder dislocation facts

• The shoulder joints are the most commonly dislocated joints in the body.
  • Approximately 25% of shoulder dislocations have associated fractures
  • Closed reduction, without the need for surgery, is the most common initial treatment. Medications may be required for sedation to help relax the muscles surrounding the shoulder and facilitate the reduction.
  • Immobilization with a sling is important to decrease the risk of a repeat dislocation. First dislocations are immobilized in an external rotation position. Recurrent dislocations may be immobilized in a regular sling.
  • Early follow-up is important to decide when to begin allowing shoulder motion.
  • Total time of immobilization varies, and balance needs to exist between shoulder stability and loss of motion and function from prolonged immobilization.
  • Recurrent shoulder dislocations may be an indication for surgery to repair and tighten torn tissues.
  • Uncomplicated rehabilitation and healing will allow return to normal function in 12-16 weeks.

What is dislocation of the shoulder? What causes a shoulder dislocation?

Dislocations in younger people tend to arise from trauma and are often associated with sports (football, basketball, and volleyball) or falls

What is the prognosis of a shoulder dislocation?

The goal of shoulder dislocation treatment is to reduce the shoulder and then to strengthen the tissues surrounding the joint to prevent recurrent dislocations. Age is the major factor as to whether there will be another dislocation. The younger the patient, the more likely that another dislocation will occur.

• If the first dislocation happens before age 20, there may be up to a 95% chance that there will be a second dislocation in the future. 
  • With an age younger than 40, the risk of future dislocation is less than 50%.
  • With an age older than 40, this risk drops to 10%.

-he must be one tough kids to sit on the bench with both arms extended on the backs of seats on each side and be such a good sport about it to sign autographs after the game, let's hope this can heal quickly and fully

-damn this It's hard work being a Billiken fan.