HoosierPal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, slufanskip said:

just a bit of a nitpik ... but 90% from the line? How many D1 players shoot 90%

Not many...7 last year in D-1....The best teams usually shoot 79% for the season.

The average D-1 team  shoots 69% for the season. This is one of the few stats in sports that never changes. 50 years ago the average team shot about 69%.  During those 50 years  it has dropped as low as 67.2  but has  never hit 70%.

The best shooter in recent history (since 1993) ...Blake Ahearn 94.57%

If you shot 80% for a season you would be one of the top 300 shooters in D-1 since 1993.

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Not many...7 last year in D-1....The best teams usually shoot 79% for the season.

The average D-1 team  shoots 69% for the season. This is one of the few stats in sports that never changes. 50 years ago the average team shot about 69%.  During those 50 years  it has dropped as low as 67.2  but has  never hit 70%.

If you shot 80% for a season you would be one of the top 300 shooters in D-1 since 1993.

Wow. I'd have never guessed only 300 above 80% in 23 years. That's what 13 a year over 80% that seems wrong considering there were 7 over 90 last year but I'll take your word for it. Wasn't the record holder before Blake another St. Louis kid Gary Buchanon from Valley Park?

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

[How are the Brebeuf Braves looking this year?]

??? how in the world would you know I went to Brebeuf?? You got my attention with that; I hope you are not a stalker...

I can tell you, that Brebeuf currently has 3 players in the Big Ten, last I checked, which seems pretty good to me, for a small Jesuit school.  As for the current team; the Rice twins -- one at Park Tudor, one at Brebeuf -- are said to both be skilled, though pretty small (bigger than that kid at Eastern Illinois, though, so who knows??)  -- I have no idea if they are Division I talents, or have been recruited -- do you know??  To be honest, I no longer really follow much Indiana high school basketball, (please don't let that get around!).  My father, God rest his soul, would not be pleased.  People love to make fun of Hoosiers, but that film was pretty accurate historically, regarding my upbringing...  back in the day when Carmel was a sleepy hick town and the Shepherd boys both won Mr. Basketball -- and one year, getting all the way to the final game, like Hickory High!

(Now Carmel is more like Ladue or Chesterfield, flush with neon franchises, huge school budgets, and fancy McMansions)

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Wow. I'd have never guessed only 300 above 80% in 23 years. That's what 13 a year over 80% that seems wrong considering there were 7 over 90 last year but I'll take your word for it. Wasn't the record holder before Blake another St. Louis kid Gary Buchanon from Valley Park?

Even though my records only go back to 1993...Ahearn holds the all-time NCAA record for single season and career FT shooting %.  A further clarification  to my earlier post ...the 94% shooting stat was a career record ...his single season record was 97.5%....Maybe it's not too late to recruit him.

And to clarify the top 300 over 80%  stat that was over a players career. 

45 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

??? how in the world would you know I went to Brebeuf?? You got my attention with that; I hope you are not a stalker...

I can tell you, that Brebeuf currently has 3 players in the Big Ten, last I checked, which seems pretty good to me, for a small Jesuit school.  As for the current team; the Rice twins -- one at Park Tudor, one at Brebeuf -- are said to both be skilled, though pretty small (bigger than that kid at Eastern Illinois, though, so who knows??)  -- I have no idea if they are Division I talents, or have been recruited -- do you know??  To be honest, I no longer really follow much Indiana high school basketball, (please don't let that get around!).  My father, God rest his soul, would not be pleased.  People love to make fun of Hoosiers, but that film was pretty accurate historically, regarding my upbringing...  back in the day when Carmel was a sleepy hick town and the Shepherd boys both won Mr. Basketball -- and one year, getting all the way to the final game, like Hickory High!

(Now Carmel is more like Ladue or Chesterfield, flush with neon franchises, huge school budgets, and fancy McMansions)

Hey Doc, you told me you went to Brebeuf.  We were in a now defunct group at Chaifetz with AJ and the good Senator.  I follow Indy HS hoops only through the Indy Star.  I know that Indianapolis was loaded with HS talent this year until a few left for the Prep Schools.  My first college bb game I attended was Butler, with Dave Sheperd, playing someone I forgot.  Still have family in Indy stretching from Columbus (hence my interest in Welmer) to South Bend.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Hey Doc, you told me you went to Brebeuf.  We were in a now defunct group at Chaifetz with AJ and the good Senator.

Wow, those were the days!  AJ & the Senator, pretty good company you run with.  Sorry I forgot, you should pm me your real name and we can enjoy a beverage some time during a halftime...  you buy, of course.

Any news on if those Rice twins signed NLI's?? 

So I'm not the only one on here who remembers the great Shepherd boys??  blast from the past... I was in 8th grade when they lost to East Chicago Roosevelt, went to every game.  By the way, here's 2 great records of Dave:  still holds the record for most points in a final game (40);  plus in his 3 years on the varsity team, they never lost a single game at home.  Never!

http://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/dave-shepherd/?back=HallofFame

54 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Wow, those were the days!  AJ & the Senator, pretty good company you run with.  Sorry I forgot, you should pm me your real name and we can enjoy a beverage some time during a halftime...  you buy, of course.

Any news on if those Rice twins signed NLI's?? 

So I'm not the only one on here who remembers the great Shepherd boys??  blast from the past... I was in 8th grade when they lost to East Chicago Roosevelt, went to every game.  By the way, here's 2 great records of Dave:  still holds the record for most points in a final game (40);  plus in his 3 years on the varsity team, they never lost a single game at home.  Never!

http://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/dave-shepherd/?back=HallofFame

Oops, I screwed up.  It was Billy Shepherd I saw at Butler.  Dave went to Mississippi as noted in your link.

Nothing from Indy on NLI's.  Usually the Star has a comprehensive list, but I haven't seen it yet.

A PM is coming your way.

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Some Guest, perhaps without an account — and/or perhaps not motivated or allowed to create one and actually post — submitted a "report" that says:

FT percentage would rise if more players had the courage to shoot underhanded like Rick Barry--a fabulous FT shooter. Wilt Chamberlain shot underhanded the night he scored 100 against the Knicks, and he shot 28 out of 32. However, he was too self-conscious to continue shooting like that through the remainder of his career, and he regressed to the notorious FT shooter we knew.  I am sure a coach who tried to teach a player to shoot underhanded to improve his or her athlete's FT % would meet stiff resistance.

Is shooting underhand allowed?  Can't free-throw shooters be called for a violation for certain forms?  I'm not aware of the official rules regarding shooting form.  Can one bounce a ball off of the floor and it count as a basket if it goes in?  Would it count if a shot in regular play were underhanded or baseball-style.  I'm guessing it would.  Finger-rolls are almost underhand.

For anyone reading, "Reporting" a post is not going to get a comment added to the content.  It simply alerts moderators to objectionable content for their review.  This one came to my e-mail.

5 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Some Guest, perhaps without an account — and/or perhaps not motivated or allowed to create one and actually post — submitted a "report" that says:

Is shooting underhand allowed?  Can't free-throw shooters be called for a violation for certain forms?  I'm not aware of the official rules regarding shooting form.  Can one bounce a ball off of the floor and it count as a basket if it goes in?  Would it count if a shot in regular play were underhanded or baseball-style.  I'm guessing it would.  Finger-rolls are almost underhand.

For anyone reading, "Reporting" a post is not going to get a comment added to the content.  It simply alerts moderators to objectionable content for their review.  This one came to my e-mail.

Rick Barry was the best with underhanded style. Shot in the mid-90s%.

11 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Is shooting underhand allowed? 

Underhand FT are 100% legal.  There are no prohibitions on how you shoot during action either, as long as you don't violate any other rule such as traveling, palming the ball, or other related rules.  Set shots, two handed pushes, baseball throws, all would count.

What I don't know, but doubt if it would count, would be a ball deliberately bounced off the floor, into the bucket.  Obviously Alley Ops passes off the backboard to another player are allowed, but a 'self bounce' off the floor, don't know.  Likely if you bounced it off another player, without the ball hitting the floor, it would count.

59 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

According to Rule 8 of the NCAA Bball rules ...A free throw is over once it touches the floor or another player.  So there are no bounce ins. 

Also they are fakes foul shots

And finally, once the ref gives you the ball you have 10 seconds to shoot it.

26 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

According to Rule 8 of the NCAA Bball rules ...A free throw is over once it touches the floor or another player.  So there are no bounce ins. 

Also they are fakes foul shots

And finally, once the ref gives you the ball you have 10 seconds to shoot it.

Regarding bouncing the ball in, I wasn't really talking about free throws; just in general.

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

Hey, that said, what about the mini-EIU who would bring the ball up dribbling, remove his hands from the dribble and let the ball bounce at least twice (while he was moving) and then resume his dribble. I can't prove it, but I think that's travelling. 

Not if you don't touch it with 2 hands or 1 hand and a body part first. You can dribble, let it bounce and then continue your dribble.

I would also assume you can bounce a ball in. I don't believe there is a rule that says you have to touch a ball after contact withy the floor

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Rule 5 ..Art 12...A try is over when the thrown ball touches the floor.....No basket

I looked it up also and appear to be wrong in my previous answer.. I came to the same conclusion as Wiz the attempt is over when the ball touches the floor. However, it seems as if the rule is not always properly applied as I can find numerous times when the basket was allowed.

On 11/19/2016 at 0:48 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The dude from Louisville a couple years back shot FTs granny style.

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

The dude from Louisville a couple years back shot FTs granny style.

I suspect coaches don't encourage shooting free throws underhand because it's so unlike ordinary game flow shooting.  Shooting is about rhythm and repetition.  Master the form and repeat it.  Get the ball in your hands properly, square the feet and shoulders, eye the rim, lift the heels (or jump) while raising the ball above your shoulder (elbow slightly bent), and release the ball at the top of the legs' upward motion while keeping the elbow in the same plane, snapping the wrist, and tossing the ball so that it leaves the longest finger last.  That series of motions has the best chance of success as a form of shooting while playing against a defense, so why get in the habit of doing anything else?  Enough shots get blocked by defenses as it is; can you imagine if any training taught shooting a two-handed underhand shot as a means of making a field goal?