It's Only Three Games, But....

HoosierPal

Three games is hardly even a small sample size.  We'll know more about this team after the likely brutal tournament.  However, several Hoosier observations.

Our MVP, our most indispensable player is Reggie Agbeko.  Everyone held their breathe for the final 2 1/2 minutes when Reggie fouled out.  Welmer had one post bucket, but we have no one to battle underneath when Reggie is out.  As I said last night, I hope Foreman is as good as Reggie.  Let's hope his shoulder holds out this year.

Bishop's 2.25 Assist to Turnover ratio is fine for now.  Last year he ended up at 1.38.  Bartley lead our primary ballhandlers at 1.90. See what the next two games do to Bishop's ratio. His shot selection needs to improve somewhat.  A few "whatever's" are fine, particularly pull up jumpers, but crazy drives to the hoop, 1 v 3, need to stop, unless he can get to the line.  Last night he got deposited to the floor, not to the line.

Crawford's legs are obviously a concern. He is second right now in rebounds, so it is vital he stay on the floor.  His shooting has to, and will, improve. You can see he is a step slow on defense, but his experience helps him get to where he needs to go.   I fear he may not make it through the season, and that will be a big hit.

Gillmann and Neufeld are what they are.  We DO need one, or both of them, to step up slightly to allow Reggie a break.  Welmer alone can't be expected to step in and hold Reggie's spot when he is on the bench.  I'm not worried about next year.  Rebounds and defense are what these two need to deliver.  If they score, fine. 

Johnson and Moore will continue to have peaks and valleys.  Based on their performance in the Greenville game, I am disappointed in their FT shooting.  Moore was what, 10-10, and Johnson 1 - 1 (yeah, that's a no sample size), but I had them penciled in at 90% FT.  Right now they are both in the mid 60%'s.  One nice game can pump those average up, but we need to have the confidence to have them on the floor in crunch time.  Moore has been forcing his few shots the past two games, but he isn't the only one.  Let's see how they progress the rest of the OOC.  So far, so good.

Roby, through three games our most improved player.  It is apparent how last season's hand injury impacted his shot.  His 75% FT shooting needs to go up a tad. His 1.29 Assist to Turnover ratio needs to improve, as he is our third ball handler.  But he appears to be the team leader this year.

Welmer, I've said enough about him.  I would like to see a few more boards.  3.7 rpg isn't enough for a stretch four seeing 25 minutes of action.  I do like Welmer at the point of a full court press.

Hines will continue to see minutes due to our short bench.  As last year, I expect to see ups and downs.  His biggest asset is guarding on the perimeter. 

I never like zone defenses, but through three games, we are doing okay in them.  We don't have the personnel to play a zone like Syracuse so we can't stay in it too long.  So far so good, but last night playing Gillmann on the zone wing wasn't working against smaller, quicker players.  Switching up defenses has been effective. 

We have had 2 of the 5 smallest Chaifetz crowds on record.  Has the Travis Ford 'buzz' been overblown? Where are the students?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to see our guys win games while they are trying to figure out how to play together. But honestly I don't even count stats in November.  UCLA had some players that looked like world beaters at the beginning of last season. They finished the season with a 15-17 record. St. Bonaventure looked OK and ended up being one of the best teams in our conference.  There's a couple of examples like that in every conference in every year.

Good summary Hoosierpal I would like to add that this is Roby's team.  Roby carries himself and plays like a leader should and that has been fun to watch.  Roby is a scoring threat and good defender.  Welmer is a pleasant surprise and will be fun to watch to he finishes his career at SLU.  Coach Ford has shown he can coach and gives me hope that something special will be built at SLU.  What is scary is that I wonder had Onwauser signed and Welmer played last season would coach Crews still be the coach?

It was good to see Johnson get some minutes down the stretch of a close game.  Hopefully, that will build his confidence and allow him to get more comfortable in the D-1 setting. 

It's hard not to get excited by the 5 guys coming in next year, plus Welmer, Bishop and Johnson (not that I'm discounting Moore's ability, I just haven't seen much of him). That is a solid 8-9 man rotation, albeit a little light at the pg and true center positions. 

Dulp!  I forgot Roby.  That's a solid group of players for next year. 

29 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

We started 4-0 last year and our win over North Florida was better than anything we've done this season so far.

I don't think it is crazy to say that last year's team was more talented and had much more depth than this group.  We lost 3 of our top 5 scorers (plus another one - Crawford - appears very limited this year due to injury).  We lost 3 of our top 6 rebounders and our leader in assist/game, steals/game, and our top 3pt% guy.

You're replacing Yacoubou, Yarbrough, Reynolds, and Bartley with 3 freshmen Welmer, Moore, and Johnson.  Welmer has looked good, but no one playing this year is as talented as Yacoubou despite his faults.  Not that Yacoubou, Reynolds, or Bartley were excellent ball handlers, but I think our depth at guard this year is very weak.

I am just hoping this year's squad gets a boost from the new coach and can perform a little bit better because of that.  Either way, this season is more exciting because of the promise of next year.

19 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't think it is crazy to say that last year's team was more talented and had much more depth than this group.  We lost 3 of our top 5 scorers (plus another one - Crawford - appears very limited this year due to injury).  We lost 3 of our top 6 rebounders and our leader in assist/game, steals/game, and our top 3pt% guy.

You're replacing Yacoubou, Yarbrough, Reynolds, and Bartley with 3 freshmen Welmer, Moore, and Johnson.  Welmer has looked good, but no one playing this year is as talented as Yacoubou despite his faults.  Not that Yacoubou, Reynolds, or Bartley were excellent ball handlers, but I think our depth at guard this year is very weak.

I am just hoping this year's squad gets a boost from the new coach and can perform a little bit better because of that.  Either way, this season is more exciting because of the promise of next year.

This is on point. Hines played last year because Crews was incompetent. He's playing this year because there's no one else. Last year's team almost definitely had far more talent.

We can express this as a mathematical choice. Which is more important to win:

1) A more talented team with 13 players coached by Crews.

or

2) A less talented team with 9 players coached by Ford

I think Ford >>> Crews is more than enough to make up for the talent loss, I would choose #2.

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

It was good to see Johnson get some minutes down the stretch of a close game.  Hopefully, that will build his confidence and allow him to get more comfortable in the D-1 setting. 

It's hard not to get excited by the 5 guys coming in next year, plus Welmer, Bishop and Johnson (not that I'm discounting Moore's ability, I just haven't seen much of him). That is a solid 8-9 man rotation, albeit a little light at the pg and true center positions. 

Dulp!  I forgot Roby.  That's a solid group of players for next year. 

Unfortunately, that's entirely what this season is about.  Even with considerable improvements, this team's ceiling is probably 14 or 15 wins.  But it's fun to think about these 3 or 4 guys playing alongside the transfers/newcomers.  Welmer, in particular, is the biggest reason for that excitement since he was the biggest question mark coming into the season and fills a much needed position/role.

I'm most encouraged with the coaching and overall effort, and the pace.  Talent is thin, but you can already see major differences in coaching style, philosophy, and actually I'd say the joy and enthusiasm of just playing a game and going to practice.  Just wait till the horses arrive!  Coach Ford is so enthusiastic he rubs off.  True gym rat junkie, and looking for gym rat recruits.  I'll never forget Coach Soderberg telling me that at the top of his list for recruiting, he wanted gym rat competitors (symbolized by his greatest get, Kevin Lisch).  Ford does too, except he wants 4 star gym rats!!  He also mixes up the defenses and runs plays from out of bound -- he even puts rebounders on the foul lines -- amazing innovations!!  ANYWAY, I ADMIT -- SECOND HALF OUT OF THE LOCKER ROOM LAST NIGHT WAS VERY ENCOURAGING.  I just reset the parade-meter to double digit wins... (10-12 or so).  14-15 would be a great achievement.

ps:  I would say there were some people expecting exactly what Welmer gives us -- when healthy.  From the very first, early practices last year, he was really good and often led practices in field goals made.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Three games is hardly even a small sample size.  We'll know more about this team after the likely brutal tournament.  However, several Hoosier observations.

Our MVP, our most indispensable player is Reggie Agbeko.  Everyone held their breathe for the final 2 1/2 minutes when Reggie fouled out.  Welmer had one post bucket, but we have no one to battle underneath when Reggie is out.  As I said last night, I hope Foreman is as good as Reggie.  Let's hope his shoulder holds out this year.

Bishop's 2.25 Assist to Turnover ratio is fine for now.  Last year he ended up at 1.38.  Bartley lead our primary ballhandlers at 1.90. See what the next two games do to Bishop's ratio. His shot selection needs to improve somewhat.  A few "whatever's" are fine, particularly pull up jumpers, but crazy drives to the hoop, 1 v 3, need to stop, unless he can get to the line.  Last night he got deposited to the floor, not to the line.

Crawford's legs are obviously a concern. He is second right now in rebounds, so it is vital he stay on the floor.  His shooting has to, and will, improve. You can see he is a step slow on defense, but his experience helps him get to where he needs to go.   I fear he may not make it through the season, and that will be a big hit.

Gillmann and Neufeld are what they are.  We DO need one, or both of them, to step up slightly to allow Reggie a break.  Welmer alone can't be expected to step in and hold Reggie's spot when he is on the bench.  I'm not worried about next year.  Rebounds and defense are what these two need to deliver.  If they score, fine. 

Johnson and Moore will continue to have peaks and valleys.  Based on their performance in the Greenville game, I am disappointed in their FT shooting.  Moore was what, 10-10, and Johnson 1 - 1 (yeah, that's a no sample size), but I had them penciled in at 90% FT.  Right now they are both in the mid 60%'s.  One nice game can pump those average up, but we need to have the confidence to have them on the floor in crunch time.  Moore has been forcing his few shots the past two games, but he isn't the only one.  Let's see how they progress the rest of the OOC.  So far, so good.

Roby, through three games our most improved player.  It is apparent how last season's hand injury impacted his shot.  His 75% FT shooting needs to go up a tad. His 1.29 Assist to Turnover ratio needs to improve, as he is our third ball handler.  But he appears to be the team leader this year.

Welmer, I've said enough about him.  I would like to see a few more boards.  3.7 rpg isn't enough for a stretch four seeing 25 minutes of action.  I do like Welmer at the point of a full court press.

Hines will continue to see minutes due to our short bench.  As last year, I expect to see ups and downs.  His biggest asset is guarding on the perimeter. 

I never like zone defenses, but through three games, we are doing okay in them.  We don't have the personnel to play a zone like Syracuse so we can't stay in it too long.  So far so good, but last night playing Gillmann on the zone wing wasn't working against smaller, quicker players.  Switching up defenses has been effective. 

We have had 2 of the 5 smallest Chaifetz crowds on record.  Has the Travis Ford 'buzz' been overblown? Where are the students?

just a bit of a nitpik ... but 90% from the line? How many D1 players shoot 90%

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

just a bit of a nitpik ... but 90% from the line? How many D1 players shoot 90%

Okay, point made.  But with Moore sinking 10 of 10 during the exhibition, my expectations were high. How about 80%+.

BTW, I'm sure I still hold the FT record for my Freshman HS team, 1 of 1 for 100%! 

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

ps:  I would say there were some people expecting exactly what Welmer gives us -- when healthy.  From the very first, early practices last year, he was really good and often led practices in field goals made.

Doc, I did see Welmer play (once) at Columbus North, and followed his HS stats after he committed.  He was about a 40% three point shooter in HS, and [unfortunately] about a 60% Ft shooter.  He didn't shoot a lot of three pointers as he had to be in the paint being the primary big man.  He averaged in the low double figures in points but was the second option to Josh Spiedel.

[How are the Brebeuf Braves looking this year?]

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nobody was expecting what welmers giving us 

Not true. billikenbill has been on the Welmer bandwagon for 15 months. That's why I call him "The Beast."