Sweet Caroline

tdog

I am not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I was stunned to hear the band shut down after the game without playing Sweet Caroline.  I know it was late, but the few people left in my section had all waited around after the game to hear the band play our favorite song.  We haven't had very many opportunities to hear it over the past few years, and I left the gym a little sad because it wasn't played.  I hope it will be played again after any future victories.

On a separate topic, a friend pointed out that Hines is wearing Dick Boushka's #24.  Hey guys, that number is hanging from the rafters, how can he be allowed to wear it?

This is as good a place as any to remind the band that they need to play "Old MacDonald" tomorrow tonight, probably surrounding the opposing team introductions. It's also a perfect opportunity to resurrect the ad hoc lyrics approach a la "Hey, Baby" -- a much-missed tradition. :)

28 minutes ago, tdog said:

I am not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I was stunned to hear the band shut down after the game without playing Sweet Caroline.  I know it was late, but the few people left in my section had all waited around after the game to hear the band play our favorite song.  We haven't had very many opportunities to hear it over the past few years, and I left the gym a little sad because it wasn't played.  I hope it will be played again after any future victories.

1. On a separate topic, a friend pointed out that Hines is wearing Dick Boushka's #24.  Hey guys, that number is hanging from the rafters, how can he be allowed to wear it?

I seem to recall that some of the banners represent retired JERSEYS and some (perhaps only Easy Ed's) represent retired NUMBERS. So the numbers continue to be used on the retired jerseys. At least that's what i seem to recall reading here.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

I seem to recall that some of the banners represent retired JERSEYS and some (perhaps only Easy Ed's) represent retired NUMBERS. So the numbers continue to be used on the retired jerseys. At least that's what i seem to recall reading here.

@White Pelican Is correct, Easy Ed's #50 is the only retired number. #24 Boushka, #34 Bonner and #43 Ferry Jersey's are retired. Has anyone worn #34 since Bonner graduated and who in basketball wear #43 anymore.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

0-5, 10-15 20-25 30-35 40-45 50-55 are the only numbers allowed in college.

Is this still an official rule? I know it was, primarily to make things easier for officials to call things over to the scorer's table.

I wish it were in the NBA; you get some pretty weird numbers there.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Is this still an official rule? I know it was, primarily to make things easier for officials to call things over to the scorer's table.

I wish it were in the NBA; you get some pretty weird numbers there.

I think it is as it is a long-standing rule.  Also, even in the limited number offering there are 37 numbers so the reason SLU does not retire more numbers has nothing to do with limited overall numbers.  It does seem to have something to do with being open to current players' number choices (more retired numbers must be seen as less player friendly).

Imo the best song they play currently is "runaway baby" by Bruno Mars.   GD they are having fun when they play that.    

But every song they play is excellent.   we are so so lucky to have "the world's greatest pep band".   

5 hours ago, SLUAvtr said:

No bonwich, we've just had a lot of people out for various reasons.  All band members we started with at the end of our rehearsal season are still members now.  The size always fluctuates around the holidays/midterms/finals.

That's what I was guessing, which means the band has been incrementally shrinking. But come January, it'll start incrementally increasing at a much faster rate. All good.