Other D1 games

almaman

44 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I spoke to some Illinois fans and the consensus I got was that they would rather see them go, and they are only worried about Tillman leaving

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I would be worried about losing more than just Tilmon. Pickett is an excellent player, and their two other recruits - Trent Frazier and DaMonte Williams - could both contribute immediately. Plus, they're in a good position with Mark Smith, Alonzo Verge, and a couple others, and they have two more spots available for the incoming class. A coaching change could be what they need in the long term, but if these players like Groce and his staff, it could be quite disruptive in the short term.

Pickett, Williams and Frazier are more important to the long term health of the Illini than Tilmon.  Tilmon is the bright shiny object, but he would be there for only a couple of years at most.  Guys like the other 3 are what you actually build a program with.  

We, Billiken fans, focused on Tilmon because he was local and would fill an obvious glaring whole on the roster.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Per ESPN, Illinois did not rank in the top 40 of recruiting classes in 2016. Michigan St, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, Maryland, Penn St, Ohio St, and Minnesota all ranked higher than the Illini.

In 2015, they ranked 21st, behind Ohio St and Michigan St in the Big 10

In 2014, they did not rank in the top 40. They were behind Ohio St, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan St, Northwestern, and Michigan in the Big 10.

Per Rivals. Illinois did not rank in the top 35 recruiting classes in 2016. Minnesota, Michigan, Penn St, Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan St were ranked higher than Illinois.

In 2015, the ranked 19th behind Ohio St. 

Cannot find anything for 2014. 

So not sure where you are getting your information. For 2017, they have a highly rated recruiting class which has been discussed extensively on this board and which Pistol and brianstl have pointed out the key members of that class.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/conferences/big-ten

13 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

The link I posted shows that their current roster's average players are rated 2nd highest in the B10. I don't know what the confusion is or recruiting class ranking has to do with it

The VC composite ratings are not a great measure. They're incomplete, and don't draw in every rating service the way they're intended to. I know the owner said he was working on that, but at this point, you shouldn't put much stock in those. I don't even look at them, to be honest. It's way more reliable to go to each individual scouting service for rankings and ratings. What slufan13 put together is a way more accurate portrayal of where Illinois' roster stacks up within the Big Ten.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

The VC composite ratings are not a great measure. They're incomplete, and don't draw in every rating service the way they're intended to. I know the owner said he was working on that, but at this point, you shouldn't put much stock in those. I don't even look at them, to be honest. It's way more reliable to go to each individual scouting service for rankings and ratings. What slufan13 put together is a way more accurate portrayal of where Illinois' roster stacks up within the Big Ten.

Thank you. Verbal commits is a nice website in terms of who you are recruiting but not a great source in evaluating recruiting.

I checked into the Missouri game for about 10 minutes and turned it off what a mess in Columbia.

I think SLU can beat them I wonder what the wiz numbers would show I would probably be surprised and Missouri has a higher rating.

1 minute ago, almaman said:

unwatchable. Wiz what would be prediction if we did play them now?

You and I with the same thought and the same time, scary.

21 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I checked into the Missouri game for about 10 minutes and turned it off what a mess in Columbia.

I think SLU can beat them I wonder what the wiz numbers would show I would probably be surprised and Missouri has a higher rating.

Something like Tigers by 3 but SLU would be playing with 4 and Jake in goal. Ouch.

10 hours ago, almaman said:

is there a decent team in Missouri or Illinois this year or last 3 for that matter? I guess NW best of the lot, may finally get into tournament this year.

Illinois State is leading the Valley so far, having topped Wichita State in their first game. The rematch is tomorrow @ Wichita.  ISU currently has an RPI mid-30's, right where NW is ranked. Both could make the NCAA as At-Large teams.

Yarbrough is still listed on their roster, so I assume his 'episode' has been resolved. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Illinois State is leading the Valley so far, having topped Wichita State in their first game. The rematch is tomorrow @ Wichita.  ISU currently has an RPI mid-30's, right where NW is ranked. Both could make the NCAA as At-Large teams.

Yarbrough is still listed on their roster, so I assume his 'episode' has been resolved. 

ISU just lost one of their top guys, MiKyle Mcintosh for a handful of weeks with a meniscus injury. But one of Yarbrough's cell mates got arrested again in the past couple days, Deontae Hawkins. He should probably be suspended, but who knows. They should make the tournament though, even as an at-large. 

Northwestern should be in their first tournament in school history, which is probably one of the crazier streaks going in sports now. 

15 hours ago, almaman said:

unwatchable. Wiz what would be prediction if we did play them now?

Mizzou by 4 at the Fetz.  Mizzou is a C team in an A- conf.  SLU is a D- team in a B conf. Generally you need to be within 1 full letter grade of your conference's grade to be competitive.  If you are 2 full letter grades away you are a bottom feeder.  Mizzou and SLU = bottom feeders.

To the question  of can we beat Mizzou.... The answer is yes. We just swept a team better than Mizzou  ( GM ...C+ ) home and away. So if we played with the same intensity and focus we could beat them   Beating a team 2 full letter grades away is considered an upset.   Anything inside of that is possible.

25 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Mizzou by 4 at the Fetz.  Mizzou is a C team in an A- conf.  SLU is a D- team in a B conf. Generally you need to be within 1 full letter grade of your conference's grade to be competitive.  If you are 2 full letter grades away you are a bottom feeder.  Mizzou and SLU = bottom feeders.

To the question  of can we beat Mizzou.... The answer is yes. We just swept a team better than Mizzou  ( GM ...C+ ) home and away. So if we played with the same intensity and focus we could beat them   Beating a team 2 full letter grades away is considered an upset.   Anything inside of that is possible.

Considering Mizzou's lengthy losing streak on the road and an apparent total lack of confidence, I'm going to have to say, "No bet!"  The game isn't played on paper.  Nor is it played in computer algorithms.  SLU by 7 at 'Fetz.