The Bills and Ball St. Even

The Wiz

Should be an interesting game.

I think I will be in the minority on this one as most pundits will pick BS.

On paper, it looks like the right move.  BS brings back 5 of their top 6 scorers from a 20+ win season. 

The key to this game will be to take it to the House...as in Franko House....Mr. Ball St .  Last year he was either 1st or 2nd in pts., reb, assts, and blocked shots. He was on the 2nd all MAC team and on the 1st all MAC defensive team.And while the MAC-w (B- ) is not the A-10 (B+ ) it is still a decent league. He also shot 54% from the field. ..5th in the MAC. Stop him and we win the game...Take it to the House.

And it is not just about the House..   2 double figure scorers shot over 40% from the arc...Kiapway and Weber. Plus a couple of newcomer redshirts... In an exhibition game a few days ago Teague had 16 pts and 12 reb plus Persons had 13pts and 10 assts. . These figures don't mean much other than these players show promise. Also a weakness ...Person had 6 TOs..We need to press him...show him some Ford D.

As for the Bills....if we can avoid mistakes ..we can beat them....12 TOs or less...take care of the ball...Better shooting from the arc...if we shoot less than 20 % like the exhibition game then we won't win 11 games this year...we need to shoot at least a 1/3 from the arc... Finally we need to make FTs. If this is a close game like I think it will be this could be the difference between winning and losing. While we shot a weak 63% from the charity stripe last game ...w/o Zeke's 10-10 we are in the low 50s or less than our FG% (59%)

Bottom line....Take it to the House...as in scoring more from the arc and FT line...and ..Taking it to the (Franko) House ..as in stopping him.  The Bills can win this game..Using the Ford factor.

Go Bills..

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Should be an interesting game.

I think I will be in the minority on this one as most pundits will pick BS.

On paper, it looks like the right move.  BS brings back 5 of their top 6 scorers from a 20+ win season. 

The key to this game will be to take it to the House...as in Franko House....Mr. Ball St .  Last year he was either 1st or 2nd in pts., reb, assts, and blocked shots. He was on the 2nd all MAC team and on the 1st all MAC defensive team.And while the MAC-w (B- ) is not the A-10 (B+ ) it is still a decent league. He also shot 54% from the field. ..5th in the MAC. Stop him and we win the game...Take it to the House.

And it is not just about the House..   2 double figure scorers shot over 40% from the arc...Kiapway and Weber. Plus a couple of newcomer redshirts... In an exhibition game a few days ago Teague had 16 pts and 12 reb plus Persons had 13pts and 10 assts. . These figures don't mean much other than these players show promise. Also a weakness ...Person had 6 TOs..We need to press him...show him some Ford D.

As for the Bills....if we can avoid mistakes ..we can beat them....12 TOs or less...take care of the ball...Better shooting from the arc...if we shoot less than 20 % like the exhibition game then we won't win 11 games this year...we need to shoot at least a 1/3 from the arc... Finally we need to make FTs. If this is a close game like I think it will be this could be the difference between winning and losing. While we shot a weak 63% from the charity stripe last game ...w/o Zeke's 10-10 we are in the low 50s or less than our FG% (59%)

Bottom line....Take it to the House...as in scoring more from the arc and FT line...and ..Taking it to the (Franko) House ..as in stopping him.  The Bills can win this game..Using the Ford factor.

Go Bills..

I read several preseason writeups on Ball State and it seemed to me that they are going to be a very experienced and good team with a real shot at the NCAA tournament if things fall in place. I am amazed that you have us even--actually shocked!

The good thing about having a team with largely new talent, a new coach, a new way of playing, etc... is that no one can predict what we are going to do. Simply stated we have not played enough games as yet to develop a pattern that is even minimally stable. Therefore, every game is a new opportunity to do better than the one before. Take the exhibition game. Yes we made a lot of fouls and TOs, but we played that game in a way that we would never ever have been able to do last year under Crews. Was it sloppy, oh yes it was but we won. We cannot say or even imagine what we are going to do against Ball State, unfortunately I will not be there to see it, I have another commitment, but regardless, I think it will be an exciting game. The Wiz does not say that he needs a minimum of 8 games before the numbers start making sense in a capricious or irrational way. If there is no pattern to our play, we cannot be compared to others. You might be able to do it with a coach that has had control over several years and is known for a specific way of playing. That is not us, not this year. So guys expect the unexpected, allow for extra sloppiness in execution, and then be ready to enjoy the results whenever they are favorable.

That is true, it is also true that Welmer did not play last season, and Gillmann only played a limited amount of time. Bishop was a fairly raw freshman last year and is better now, whatever you may think of Hines and his height, he is fast and can handle the ball, Johnson and Moore are new and are good. Reggie appears better this year and Crawford is playing (not scoring) with seemingly no limitations. I am not commenting about Roby or Neufeld (who I think is better than Gillmann). This is emphatically not last year's team and although we are not good per se, all we have to be, when compared to last year, is better than last year. 

I think we can count Moore, Johnson, and Welmer as new talent. I also think that anyone that is playing better under Ford than they played before under Crews can also be counted as new talent, even though in these cases it is newly found talent.

5 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

I read several preseason writeups on Ball State and it seemed to me that they are going to be a very experienced and good team with a real shot at the NCAA tournament if things fall in place. I am amazed that you have us even--actually shocked!

As I stated in the season preview thread, the beginning of the season model is a Bayesian forecasting tool  ...not as accurate as after 8 games when I switch over to a  "real data" model. It is sort of like predicting the weather for next Aug 1 in St. Louis. ....High 90-100, humid , Low in the  70's , chance of rain 10-20%....no real data but a pretty good chance of being close....vs a forecast on Jul 31 using real data...much better chance of being right and closer to the real numbers with real data.

To be frank (not Franko), I was surprised also to see SLU being even,   playing against a more experienced team coming off a 20+ win season,  with  many starters coming back. As I figured, , the odds makers have favored Ball St...but only by a 1 1/2 pts. ...at even we are pretty close to one another.  The odds makers have not  figured in 1 1/2 pts for the Ford Factor.

Yes, that is what I think too. We are so far, and probably for the next few games as well, a stealth team. Love it, it is like having a real crappy looking car with a very powerful engine, suspension, and brakes. It does not show. By the way, I have no idea how powerful we really are. We will find out.

10 hours ago, wgstl said:

So mad the USA V Mexico game is at the same time. 

As am I. I am staying home because the US-Mexico home qualifier only comes once every four years. Plus, both countries are featuring arguably their best in-form teams ever. I cannot get the "Dos a Cero" chant out of my head.

At least the SLU game is on TV so I can record and watch it.

33 minutes ago, davidnark said:

As am I. I am staying home because the US-Mexico home qualifier only comes once every four years. Plus, both countries are featuring arguably their best in-form teams ever. I cannot get the "Dos a Cero" chant out of my head.

Couldn't you tape the soccer game, go dark on the Internet/phone and watch it once you get home from the Billikens  game? Seems the same as watching the bills game on tape delay.

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

Hey we all do all do what we do but in my peverted  life the Billilkens are number one. Billikens vs Ball State vs seventh game of the Cardinals Worls Series . I'm at the Billikens game. I said peverted.

16 minutes ago, willie said:

Hey we all do all do what we do but in my peverted  life the Billilkens are number one. Billikens vs Ball State vs seventh game of the Cardinals Worls Series . I'm at the Billikens game. I said peverted.

Leave it to willie to provide me with the perfect "peverted" opening for something that occurred to me as we anticipate our opening game.

The greatest holiday tournament ever: Ball State, Morehead State, Oral Roberts and RISD.

Carry on. 

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

Leave it to willie to provide me with the perfect "peverted" opening for something that occurred to me as we anticipate our opening game.

The greatest holiday tournament ever: Ball State, Morehead State, Oral Roberts and RISD.

Carry on. 

Of course, the Rammer would have to call all of the action.

23 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

I have no idea what to expect, but there are always a lot of upsets early in the season. We have a few things working in our favor - home court advantage, could be tough for Ball State going on the road for their first game of the season. Plus, our first game with a new coach. You would think the guys would be very motivated to impress their new boss.