Great opportunity for SLU

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/7/2016 at 1:12 PM, cgeldmacher said:

Also, I totally disagree with the idea that St. Louis not having a football team won't affect SLU attendance or general support in the community.  One of my business partners had Rams season tickets the entire time that the Rams were here.  He also has gone to every Mizzou-Illini bragging rights game for like the past 20 years.  He has no connection with SLU other than living in St. Louis.  He went out of state for undergrad and to Mizzou for graduate school.  Obviously, his Rams tickets are done and that money is sitting in his pocket.  He's also down on the Mizzou-Illinois game.  How could you not be.

He has approached me about possibly getting season tickets to the Billikens next season.  He's heard the hype Ford has created.  For what he paid for two Rams tickets, he could probably buy six or eight Billiken season tickets.  There are currently a lot of St. Louisans in the same boat as him.  They're not going to spend that extra money on a loser (had too much of that with the Rams).  If SLU starts to win, those folks are going to start buying tickets at SLU.  They have extra money and extra time now that the Rams are gone.

I've had similar experiences with 3 of my friends. None of them have any connections to SLU yet all 3 are interested in season tickets.

I have several friends who don't necessarily care about the sport itself, they just love the atmosphere and socializing (and getting away from their wives and kids). Now that the Rams are gone, there isn't an opportunity to tailgate on Sundays. I think a few of them are considering turning to SLU basketball to fill that void, especially with Chaifetz being a wet arena! I know the overlap between the NFL and Men's BBALL is small, but my friends look for any excuse to get out of the house!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 2:16 PM, Cowboy said:

-be careful on these definitive statements about the Cardinals and their level of support, a bit of losing and other factors an we'll see what attendance does, are they in an enviable position? certainly, can it change? yep

-this deal with Mike Shannon could end up being an "other factor" that impacts the support the Cardinals receive, will be interesting to watch imo