Exhibition Game

slufan13

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Figure someone will start a GDT tomorrow but let's get the discussion going. Don't know why, but I'm excited.

I wouldn't expect any of the freshman (including RS Welmer) to start right away, so this lineup is no surprise.  The only real question was Gillmann or Neufeld.  Gillmann provides more outside shooting, so it makes sense to pair him with Agbeko and maybe go with a Neufeld / Welmer combo.

It'll be a weird game. This roster isn't built for speed but Greenville scores like 115 points per game. So we have the potential to see some stats that will not reflect the reality of the upcoming season.

I'm pretty excited, too, though, even though I know we're going to take our licks all year. Can't wait to see what we've got in these younger guys.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

It'll be a weird game. This roster isn't built for speed but Greenville scores like 115 points per game. So we have the potential to see some stats that will not reflect the reality of the upcoming season.

I'm pretty excited, too, though, even though I know we're going to take our licks all year. Can't wait to see what we've got in these younger guys.

I keep forgetting that Greenville runs so much.  That makes me wonder if (given our lack of scholarship players) we'll see the walk-ons a little bit.  Then I remembered this tweet:

However, the roster on SLUBillikens.com only shows Hines (if you consider him a walk-on) and Markos Psimitis who we already knew about before the tweet.  I wonder if 1) new walk-ons aren't yet listed on the roster, 2) no one impressed during the try-outs, 3) there wasn't much interest in walking on for what will on paper be an awful team.

...and at this point, I've realized I spent wayyy to much time thinking about walk-ons for what will on paper be an awful team.  Need the actual games to start ASAP.

43 minutes ago, Pistol said:

When is the last time the Bills put up over 100? I think Greenville will be an interesting way of testing Ford's new style. 

47 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't know if it's been said yet, but Crawford has been fully cleared. Stu made it sound like he's 100%.

Coach Ford said yesterday that Crawford was 100% cleared to play but was only about at 60% basketball shape.  Let's see how far he goes tomorrow.  Moore was hurt and didn't play in the scrimmage.  He is back practicing.

I have no inside info, but I wouldn't take too much stock in this starting lineup one way or the other. I suspect that Ford is going to begin by rewarding the guys with the experience and challenge the newer and younger players to earn a starting spot from them.

OK people, the truth will come out in time. At this time Crawford is, according to some sources 100%, other sources (apparently Ford) say 60%. That is prior to the game he is 60 to 100% fully functional. We will see how functional he is after tomorrow's play, and after the first 10 full scheduled games. There is no doubt whatsoever Crawford wants to play a lot. Let's see if he can. I would wait 10 games or so before pronouncing him fit for the season.

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

OK people, the truth will come out in time. At this time Crawford is, according to some sources 100%, other sources (apparently Ford) say 60%. That is prior to the game he is 60 to 100% fully functional. We will see how functional he is after tomorrow's play, and after the first 10 full scheduled games. There is no doubt whatsoever Crawford wants to play a lot. Let's see if he can. I would wait 10 games or so before pronouncing him fit for the season.

-would you hold him back at all tomorrow? or let him go until he says he can't? I get wanting to get him time against a different colored jersey balanced with it is just an exhibition with the backdrop of this being CFord's first 'game'

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-would you hold him back at all tomorrow? or let him go until he says he can't? I get wanting to get him time against a different colored jersey balanced with it is just an exhibition with the backdrop of this being CFord's first 'game'

Coach HoosierPal would play him 20 minutes max, probably in two 10 minute shifts.  The results don't matter tomorrow.  Let him get some chemistry going with Roby, Bishop, Agbeko and Gillman in this new Ford system, but don't overextend. 

The kid wants to play, it is up to Ford I'd say. I am sure both of them are aware that things may go wrong, but maybe they will not? Who knows? At some point, and maybe the point is now depending on Ford, you have to let him go do his thing in the court and hope he makes it and continues making it for the season. 

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

It is possible to be 100% healthy and still only 60% of the physical shape you need to be in to play in a full game.  I believe that is the case here.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

The kid wants to play, it is up to Ford I'd say. I am sure both of them are aware that things may go wrong, but maybe they will not? Who knows? At some point, and maybe the point is now depending on Ford, you have to let him go do his thing in the court and hope he makes it and continues making it for the season. 

So are you saying it's up to Coach Ford?

5 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

I googled really quick and it seems like it should be streaming here? http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=0&id=1777277&db_oem_id=31600

Rammer and Earl tomorrow?

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

The system that Greenville uses does not necessarily require a lot of speed if SLU can pass through the press and guard the perimeter.  It is not run and gun in the traditional sense.

The goal of the system is to use the full-court press to force turnovers.  The goal is to get more shorts than the opponent...and taking significantly more shots from the perimeter.  Crash the boards on the offensive end and pass the ball back to the perimeter.

The coach at Greenville began using the system last season, so he may still be working to get the players up to speed.  There may significant stretches in which Greenville just looks like every other team.

The system has never proven to be useful against significantly better teams and opponents often break records.  SLU may set a record number of two point field goals as they go in for dunk after dunk, layup after layup.

For example, Greenville lost to Webster 108-106 a season ago.  Greenville shot 83 field goals and 46 were from the perimeter while Webster shot 79 field goals and only 8 were from range.