OT: Sign Guy Cited by FiveThirtyEight.com

TheA_Bomb

A Professor SLU Sign Guy Study, was quoted by popular stat site Fivethirtyeight

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-party-that-loses-this-year-could-still-win-a-big-consolation-prize/

It links to an earlier Vox article on his study

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/5/12712932/american-state-government-federalism

I didn't read these cause I know all academics are liberals so I'm pretty sure it's anti-American

Anyways, way to go Sign Guy.

I was trying to figure out how I possibly missed this -- I read FiveThirtyEight daily -- and then it occurred to me that I wouldn't recognize "political scientist Steven Rogers" if I passed him on the street, let alone had lunch with him. ;)  

(But I agree with A_Bomb: Way to go, Sign Guy!) 

Just now, bonwich said:

I was trying to figure out how I possibly missed this -- I read FiveThirtyEight daily -- and then it occurred to me that I wouldn't recognize "political scientist Steven Rogers" if I passed him on the street, let alone had lunch with him. ;)  

(But I agree with A_Bomb: Way to go, Sign Guy!) 

Likewise! Very cool though. Congrats!

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I didn't read these cause I know all academics are liberals so I'm pretty sure it's anti-American

:lol: The Vox article is titled: "This study shows American federalism is a total joke"  [I did not pick the title]

But pretty much one of the best things an adviser said to me is that I have taken statistics classes at GW, Princeton, and Vanderbilt, and my research can be explained by a line graph

unnamed-1.png

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Great work Steve!!!

Do you get insulted when someone cites you and fails to list you as Dr. or PHD?

I actually hate the Dr. title.  At SLU they force us to have our nameplate outside of our office have "Dr. Rogers."  If I get tenure at SLU, that Dr. is coming down the first day.

9 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

I actually hate the Dr. title.  At SLU they force us to have our nameplate outside of our office have "Dr. Rogers."  If I get tenure at SLU, that Dr. is coming down the first day.

Good for you. You must be one of those people that do not feel the need to have all of their diplomas framed and in display at their offices. That, as far as I see it, indicates your knowledge that what you are is what is inside your brain and how you use it, not framed diplomas or "Dr." designations on your door.

14 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

All the SLU guys I had or knew, including my own dear pops, introduced themselves as "Dr." When I got to Wisconsin, the Nobel Prize-winner I had for econometrics introduced himself as "Art." 

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Good for you. You must be one of those people that do not feel the need to have all of their diplomas framed and in display at their offices. 

I concede my PhD diploma is hung in my home office above my desk.

12 minutes ago, bonwich said:

All the SLU guys I had or knew, including my own dear pops, introduced themselves as "Dr." When I got to Wisconsin, the Nobel Prize-winner I had for econometrics introduced himself as "Art." 

If I could go by my first name with students I would.  I introduce myself as Steve Rogers.  Undergraduates call me Professor Rogers (or Doctor....but after they take a class with me, they generally drop the Dr.)

At your home office, not at work? You must have a framed diploma, those are hard to put into a safe deposit box so you might as well hang them somewhere. I do not think that negates my prior comment, after all home offices are usually cluttered messy places. They are not a place where you would expect to impress people with your degrees. Mine never got framed so they are entirely out of the way tucked inside a box in the bank.

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

I concede my PhD diploma is hung in my home office above my desk.

If I could go by my first name with students I would.  I introduce myself as Steve Rogers.  Undergraduates call me Professor Rogers (or Doctor....but after they take a class with me, they generally drop the Dr.)

It's a little easier for me. I introduce myself simply as Joe and do a shtick about how Professor Bonwich was my father and earned the title. Then I simply answer "Who?" whenever they call me Professor in class. :) (I do, however, encourage them to call the Schlafly guy "Professor Kopman" when he guest-lectures on beer, mainly because he gets such a kick out of it.) 

56 minutes ago, bonwich said:

BOOM!  Political Scientist at St. Louis University cited again on Fivethirtyeight!  Raising the Profile of my SLU Poli Sci BA.

They love him because he summarized his work into that graph.  People like graphical representations and Nate Silver et al love em.

Sign Guy couldn't make a sign with uniform lettering just a few years ago now his graphs are on national publications.

Keep it up and he might become more famous than that one other Steven Rogers the one with the shield.

When I went thru my folks stuff for the last time, I found my diploma from Miss Fairbank's Nursery School - late 1940's.  It is framed now in my home office with a band of cartoon characters of that era surrounding the diploma details.  I have a lot of fun pointing it out to visitors. ?

3 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

When I went thru my folks stuff for the last time, I found my diploma from Miss Fairbank's Nursery School - late 1940's.  It is framed now in my home office with a band of cartoon characters of that era surrounding the diploma details.  I have a lot of fun pointing it out to visitors. ?

I never got a diploma for kindergarten, let alone nursery school. And they say millennials are the participation trophy generation...

On 11/9/2016 at 1:19 PM, SluSignGuy said:

I'll wait to hear the streets talk on that one.  (I am just glad I gave Trump a positive percentage.)

was hard to foresee the rapid flip in the upper midwest. HRC didnt even necessarily need FL OH and NC..

the polling data was NOT accurate in the three states that decided it. 'truthiness' and the gut were the only way to see the Trump rust belt scenario as plausible.