SLU vs Fordham

Tilkowsky

22 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

By the way, I thought you said HoosierPal was the one who invited you to post here. Now it's me. Does that mean HoosierPal and I are the same person? The safest thing to do here would be to post the links from stltoday to settle the matter once and for all.

A big 'huh' here.  You are me or am I you?   Is that you Sybil? 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 8:51 AM, Bobby Metzinger said:

Since 2000, the following non-power five schools have competed in the College Cup:

2000#, 2002, 2011, 2012: Creighton (Missouri Valley) - Creighton has mysteriously not returned to the College Cup since becoming a Power Five school. Hmmm...

2000, 2005: SMU (Independent, C-USA)

2005, 2013: New Mexico (Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, C-USA)

2004#, 2006* : UC - Santa Barbara (Big West)

2007: UMass (Atlantic Ten)

2009#, 2010*, 2015: Akron (MAC)

2011#: Charlotte (C-USA)

2014: UMBC (America East)

* Denotes National Champion

# Denotes National Runner-Up

That's a lot of non-Power Five schools disrupting college soccer, Tewksbury, or whatever the hell your name is.

Add Denver for 2016.  TrollPants strikes out again, and again, and again.

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Except you need to take SMU (football), Akron (football), New Mexico (state school), UMASS (state school) out of your list.

On 12/4/2016 at 9:28 AM, Tilkowsky said:

Except you need to take SMU (football), Akron (football), New Mexico (state school), UMASS (state school) out of your list.

You said "Power 5." I'm keeping those schools right where they are.

On 11/7/2016 at 7:21 AM, Tilkowsky said:

I don't know if they can anymore. Most recruits want to go to a Power 5 conference. Very few if any mid-majors go to College Cup anymore.

College Cup is largely dominated by Power Five conferences.

Unless they can figure out a way to get to the Big East. I think their days as a national power are largely over.

Here's your own quote, son, and a map of the Power-Five Schools.

Image result

On November 8, 2016 at 0:00 PM, Bobby Metzinger said:

Doesn't matter. You specifically said that w/o SLU being in a Power Five conference, our dreams of returning to the elite of college soccer are shattered forever, which is preposterous. Akron's football budget? Are you kidding me? UMass' football budget is built off being that cupcake on the schedules of the Michigan's, Notre Dame's and Colorado's of the world. I'm sorry, but when was New Mexico relevant in the world of college football? When was the last time College Game Day was amped up about a Saturday in Albuquerque? "Oh,here comes Footbawl Bob Davie to the set," said no one ever.

Please arm yourself with more knowledge of the world of college athletics before posting again.

So SLU has the same athletic budget as SMU, Akron, UMASS (no matter how they build it), New Mexico.

Yeah I don't think so.

Nice try though.

39 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

So SLU has the same athletic budget as SMU, Akron, UMASS (no matter how they build it), New Mexico.

Yeah I don't think so.

Nice try though.

You never stipulated that budgets had anything to do with it in the OP, Bukowski. You simply stated "Power 5." Read your own posts?

Throwing in "budgets" doesn't magically make UMass a Power-Five school. You are delusional.

26 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

You never stipulated that budgets had anything to do with it in the OP, Bukowski. You simply stated "Power 5." Read your own posts?

Throwing in "budgets" doesn't magically make UMass a Power-Five school. You are delusional.

Never said that a bigger budget made UMASS a Power 5 school. 

You never answered my question. Does SLU have as big of an athletic budget as SMU, UMASS, Akron, New Mexico?

Dont you think that size of a athletic budget has something to do with SLU's lack of success?

22 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

You never answered my question. Does SLU have as big of an athletic budget as SMU, UMASS, Akron, New Mexico?

Dont you think that size of a athletic budget has something to do with SLU's lack of success?

According to your initial post, if we're not in a Power Five conference, we have no chance of getting the recruits, etc. that will lead us to a College Cup.

My subsequent posts were to call out how bull**** your thinking is/was.

How in God's holy name do schools like Akron, Umass, SMU continue to get solid collegiate soccer players? Well, a lot of it stems from regional ODP programs, showcases, etc. But most of it has to do with winning. I've not met one kid who committed to Akron who said "I'm going to Akron because I freaking love northeastern Ohio and the delicate flower she is." No, they go to Akron because they have a great coach and a program that is committed to excellence.

Read a book or something.

38 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Google is not that difficult...took all of 5 minutes 

"SMU has the second-largest athletics budget among non-autonomy conference schools and the second-largest football budget in the American Athletic Conference. For the fiscal year ending May 31, 2015, SMU reported $53.3 million in total athletic team revenue to the U.S. Department of Education. Of that, $16.4 million came from football." - SMU

"According to the report, student fees at UMass Amherst accounted for 27 percent of the $151,126,827 athletic department budget between 2010 and 2014." - UMASS

"Akron's sports budget, at $32 million, was the highest in Ohio among the Mid-American Conference schools." -Akron

"UNM had projected a $33 million budget. It only raised about $31.8 million — about $20 million through ticket sales, fundraising and other revenue sources and received about $12 million in subsidies — and overspent its budget by about $400,000." (2015-2016) -New Mexico

Finding SLU's athletic budget does seem difficult however...

22 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

According to your initial post, if we're not in a Power Five conference, we have no chance of getting the recruits, etc. that will lead us to a College Cup.

How in God's holy name do schools like Akron, Umass, SMU continue to get solid collegiate soccer players? Well, a lot of it stems from regional ODP programs, showcases, etc. But most of it has to do with winning. I've not met one kid who committed to Akron who said "I'm going to Akron because I freaking love northeastern Ohio and the delicate flower she is." No, they go to Akron because they have a great coach and a program that is committed to excellence.

Told you Bobby, the truth doesn't effect the ignorance of TrollPants.  It's really too easy to show that TrollPants has no clue.  Researching a topic is not in his band-with. 

Let me guess, now he is trying to move the goalposts, changing the original topic which he drop kicked.  Sometimes I'm ALMOST curious enough to take TrollPants off IGNORE, but then reason prevails.

Carry on.  Soon you will tire of playing patty cake with an adolescent.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Told you Bobby, the truth doesn't effect the ignorance of TrollPants.  It's really too easy to show that TrollPants has no clue.  Researching a topic is not in his band-with. 

Let me guess, now he is trying to move the goalposts, changing the original topic which he drop kicked.  Sometimes I'm ALMOST curious enough to take TrollPants off IGNORE, but then reason prevails.

Carry on.  Soon you will tire of playing patty cake with an adolescent.

:) +100  Now I understand how some of you guys felt about me. LOL

31 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Is SLU not committed to excellence?

I guess SLU doesn't have a great coach then?

Saint Louis has college soccer showcases don't they?

Nick Popovic was the National High School Player of the Year in 2015 ( he went to CBC in St. Louis). He chose IU over SLU. Why?

Take a look at how many of the College Cup participants have been Power 5 conference members and how many have been schools like SLU. Case closed.

SLU hasn't been to a College Cup for twenty years. Why? Where are all of these recruits you talk about who want to choose SLU over a Power five conference school?

59 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Why would SLU need an athletic budget as large as school that has football?  SLU's budget should be smaller because they don't have to fund a football program and an equal amount of scholarship slots on the women's side.  SLU can have well funded or better funded athletic teams without having an overall budget close to the size of a program that has to fund football.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why would SLU need an athletic budget as large as school that has football?  SLU's budget should be smaller because they don't have to fund a football program and an equal amount of scholarship slots on the women's side.  SLU can have well funded or better funded athletic teams without having an overall budget close to the size of a program that has to fund football.

Exactly my point. You can't compare those schools to SLU because their athletic budgets are much larger than SLU's.

So to point to those schools as examples of teams that have made College Cup so SLU can as well, is disingenuous.

32 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Exactly my point. You can't compare those schools to SLU because their athletic budgets are much larger than SLU's.

So to point to those schools as examples of teams that have made College Cup so SLU can as well, is disingenuous.

You missed the whole point of my post.  It doesn't matter if those budgets are much larger. They are larger because they have to fund football.  What matters is how SLU funds it's soccer program compared to those schools.  

Schools like Quinnipiac, Denver, San Diego, Union, Boston and Saint Mary's can compete for College Cups or Frozen Fours (In Denver's case both).  They fund their programs in those sports like the big boy schools while having a much smaller athletic budget overall than those schools.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Schools like Quinnipiac, Denver, San Diego, Union, Boston and Saint Mary's can compete for College Cups or Frozen Fours (In Denver's case both).  They fund their programs in those sports like the big boy schools while having a much smaller athletic budget overall than those schools.

You got to give UMass-Lowell some love in that list.  I do not think they were eligible for the NCAA tournament in soccer this year but ended up with a top 5 RPI  and coaches poll top 15 anyway.   The hockey team went to the tourney 4 out of last 5 years (although only one Frozen Four appearance) and is currently in the top 10 again.

12 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

No.  Disparity of budgets is only one factor in making a soccer program successful - and I would suggest, it is actually not even one of the most important factors taking a distant second to the head coach, likelihood of success during the recruits time on campus, quality of schedule, facilities and let's not forget - the quality of education to be received.  And last I checked, SLU has sports programs to win and succeed against all D1 schools - including those in Power conferences and with larger budgets.   Just like our basketball program's goal of making the NCAA Tourney each year and then having advanced success such as a Sweet 16 or possibly even an Elite or Final Four, our soccer program needs to do better at achieving a similar goal.  Hiring the likes of assistant coaches like Dan Donnegan or former players liker Sorber or McBride makes as much sense as hiring Soderberg, Jay Spoonhour, Porter Moser, Chris Harriman, Alex Jensen, Jim Whitesell or thinking guys like Anthony Bonner, Danny Brown, Calbert Cheney, etc. should be the next head coach. Anyone truly believe we would have a roster like we are about to see next year had we chose any of the above?

Wake me up when Dr. P., Chris May and any other soccer program booster decides they are serious about winning soccer here at SLU and are willing to get their checkbook out to hire the likes of Charlie Spoonhour, Rick Majerus or Travis Ford (all 3 are what I like to call "splash" hires) as our next soccer head coach.  The last time SLU was serious about soccer is when it hired Bob Warming, brought soccer practices and games back to campus -- practices away from St. Louis Univ High School's practice football fields known as Forest Park and games away from the Soccer Park.  And guess what, we started again to sign the best local talent, other top local talent transferred back home to SLU and we also signed top-notch national talent resulting in our last making soccer's equivalent to the Final Four.  For those who forgot what happened, Fr. Biondi and SLU went back to their cheap ways and refused to retain Bob Warming or to hire a head coach to more than a one-year contract, did not pay anything (and then not much) for assistant coaches, stopped upgrading and improving facilities, watched Bob Warming leave and go back to Creighton before then going to Penn State in 2010 where he is still coaching, winning, going to Sweet 16's and nearly winning national coach of the year.   http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/bob_warming_660025.html

And SLU's response?  We hired Warming's assistant coach.  Have we not learned anything?  Even at the worst D1 soccer program in the country (fill in whatever name you want here) and/or with the lowest budget in the NCAA, Bob Warming would find a way to win.  Good players want to play for good coaches.  End of story.  Sorry for the above rant.   Please continue with the normal SLU soccer talk about wondering SLU isn't winning national titles any more, why the best players don't all want to stay here at SLU, getting disappointed each year when cannot beat Dayton and why our no name coaches can no longer win the A10 or make the NCCA Tourney anymore.

And trollpants, please leave this Board and feel free to hire an attorney or to contact the NCAA and report SLU soccer for all the alleged abuses it has done to you while you were at SLU or around the soccer program.  All I can figure is you were somehow molested in a shower by SLU's version of Jerry Sandusky/Penn State... at least that is all I can figure in that I find no other explanation for your hatred toward SLU and SLU soccer and yet your ADHD obsession regarding the same.

17 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

You got to give UMass-Lowell some love in that list.  I do not think they were eligible for the NCAA tournament in soccer this year but ended up with a top 5 RPI  and coaches poll top 15 anyway.   The hockey team went to the tourney 4 out of last 5 years (although only one Frozen Four appearance) and is currently in the top 10 again.

I left state schools off my list because I didn't want to him to come back with the state schools are different argument.  What UMass-Lowell has done is very impressive.