SLU vs Fordham

Tilkowsky

Well this was surely a disappointing loss. The tournament committee will not be impressed.

Fordham was ranked 127 in terms of RPI and SLU couldn't defeat them at home.

Doesn't bode well for the A-10 tournament or if they are lucky enough to win the A-10 tournament doesn't bode well for the NCAA tournament.

An at large berth is almost out of the question for sure.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tilkowsky do you think the basketball billikens would cover the spread? I only ask because I'm a big sports betting guy and I do my betting at BetDSI.com. Right now you can use promo code bfan05 and get $10 free to try out the site. 

Great question BilI I think you put Agbeko at striker, people forget that he's originally from the soccer loving nation of Ghana. 

Was looking for some soccer talk. I'm not pleased with the team's current direction, even if they win the A-10 soccer tournament. It's clearly a poor league and SLU should dominate it. Their out of conference record was subpar as they lost to middling Big 10 programs. Is SLU committed to returning to its past glory? If so, it doesn't appear McGinty is the answer.

What do you think it would take to lift SLU back to national prominence? Can they win by locking up local talent? If not, how do they make the program more attractive to high-caliber national or international recruits? Are the resources there? Is it the style of play? What's missing?

I don't know if they can anymore. Most recruits want to go to a Power 5 conference. Very few if any mid-majors go to College Cup anymore.

College Cup is largely dominated by Power Five conferences.

Unless they can figure out a way to get to the Big East. I think their days as a national power are largely over.

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

I don't know if they can anymore. Most recruits want to go to a Power 5 conference. Very few if any mid-majors go to College Cup anymore.

College Cup is largely dominated by Power Five conferences.

Unless they can figure out a way to get to the Big East. I think their days as a national power are largely over.

Since 2000, the following non-power five schools have competed in the College Cup:

2000#, 2002, 2011, 2012: Creighton (Missouri Valley) - Creighton has mysteriously not returned to the College Cup since becoming a Power Five school. Hmmm...

2000, 2005: SMU (Independent, C-USA)

2005, 2013: New Mexico (Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, C-USA)

2004#, 2006* : UC - Santa Barbara (Big West)

2007: UMass (Atlantic Ten)

2009#, 2010*, 2015: Akron (MAC)

2011#: Charlotte (C-USA)

2014: UMBC (America East)

* Denotes National Champion

# Denotes National Runner-Up

That's a lot of non-Power Five schools disrupting college soccer, Tewksbury, or whatever the hell your name is.

7 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Since 2000, the following non-power five schools have competed in the College Cup:

2000#, 2002, 2011, 2012: Creighton (Missouri Valley) - Creighton has mysteriously not returned to the College Cup since becoming a Power Five school. Hmmm...

2000, 2005: SMU (Independent, C-USA)

2005, 2013: New Mexico (Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, C-USA)

2004#, 2006* : UC - Santa Barbara (Big West)

2007: UMass (Atlantic Ten)

2009#, 2010*, 2015: Akron (MAC)

2011#: Charlotte (C-USA)

2014: UMBC (America East)

* Denotes National Champion

# Denotes National Runner-Up

That's a lot of non-Power Five schools disrupting college soccer, Tewksbury, or whatever the hell your name is.

Bob-O, I have TrollPants on Ignore, but from your response to Titowhisky, once again it looks like he/she/it simply spewed out lies rather than doing any basic research.  TrollPants as an aversion to the truth. 

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Bob-O, I have TrollPants on Ignore, but from your response to Titowhisky, once again it looks like he/she/it simply spewed out lies rather than doing any basic research.  TrollPants as an aversion to the truth. 

Correct assumption - regardless, there is hope for SLU - just like in '97 (our last College Cup appearance). A team can get hot and run off a couple of 1-0 or 2-1 wins and find itself it in the quarterfinals. Lots of fingernails on the bleachers.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

SMU is a big school with a football program. Akron also is a big school with a football program. UMASS is a state school.

New Mexico is a state school with a football program.

So all of those schools really aren't comparable to SLU now are they.

2 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

SMU is a big school with a football program. Akron also is a big school with a football program. UMASS is a state school.

Wouldn't the presence of a football program not really make a difference at that level? SLU soccer gets a much bigger slice of the AD's budget than most schools do.

30 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Wouldn't the presence of a football program not really make a difference at that level? SLU soccer gets a much bigger slice of the AD's budget than most schools do.

The other schools I listed have a much bigger athletic budget due to football and being mostly state schools with larger athletic budgets than SLU will ever have.

Something that HoosierPal doesn't want to understand.

By the way you have him to thank for the fact I post here.

He said I wouldn't have the guts to post here.

11 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

The other schools I listed have a much bigger athletic budget due to football and being mostly state schools with larger athletic budgets than SLU will ever have.

Something that HoosierPal doesn't want to understand.

By the way you have him to thank for the fact I post here.

He said I wouldn't have the guts to post here.

Trollkowsky you post here because you want attention and it does not take any courage to hide behind a computer to post on this site.  It is the best part of your day as you constantly refresh and find someone that responds because you have nothing else in your life. 

31 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Trollkowsky you post here because you want attention and it does not take any courage to hide behind a computer to post on this site.  It is the best part of your day as you constantly refresh and find someone that responds because you have nothing else in your life. 

I would be interested in your take on the soccer team this year, care to share?

1 hour ago, keyser soze said:

Ladies and Gentlemen of Billiken Nation please leave Mr. Schaper and his 20 plus stltoday usernames alone to pleasure himself in his 1988 Subway Alumni half shirt.. guy would rather use his SLU diploma as toilet paper because Notre Dame didn't accept him.

No take on the Billikens soccer team and season?

16 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

They are not "Power Five," which is your own self-stated criteria.

Also, you're delusional if you think SMU is a "big school." Just because they're in Dallas doesn't equate to enrollment that equals half the Metroplex. SMU has 6,000 undergrads. It is smaller than SLU. At one point, SMU and Rice were the lowest-enrollment schools to ever field a Division I football team, trying to compete with 40,000+ enrolled schools like UT, A&M and Houston. Good luck, Eric Dickerson.

New Mexico is not a Power Five School. Akron is not a Power Five School. UMass is not a Power Five School.

31 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

They are not "Power Five," which is your own self-stated criteria.

Also, you're delusional if you think SMU is a "big school." Just because they're in Dallas doesn't equate to enrollment that equals half the Metroplex. SMU has 6,000 undergrads. It is smaller than SLU. At one point, SMU and Rice were the lowest-enrollment schools to ever field a Division I football team, trying to compete with 40,000+ enrolled schools like UT, A&M and Houston. Good luck, Eric Dickerson.

New Mexico is not a Power Five School. Akron is not a Power Five School. UMass is not a Power Five School.

Don't you think that the presence of a football team at New Mexico (along with the fact it is a state school) as well as UMASS and Akron (both state schools and have football have bigger budgets than SLU?

I would bet athletic department budgets at all the schools I mentioned are larger than SLU's.

26 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Don't you think that the presence of a football team at New Mexico (along with the fact it is a state school) as well as UMASS and Akron (both state schools and have football have bigger budgets than SLU?

I would bet athletic department budgets at all the schools I mentioned are larger than SLU's.

Doesn't matter. You specifically said that w/o SLU being in a Power Five conference, our dreams of returning to the elite of college soccer are shattered forever, which is preposterous. Akron's football budget? Are you kidding me? UMass' football budget is built off being that cupcake on the schedules of the Michigan's, Notre Dame's and Colorado's of the world. I'm sorry, but when was New Mexico relevant in the world of college football? When was the last time College Game Day was amped up about a Saturday in Albuquerque? "Oh,here comes Footbawl Bob Davie to the set," said no one ever.

Please arm yourself with more knowledge of the world of college athletics before posting again.

28 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

So you are telling me that you believe SLU has a bigger athletic budget than state schools?

Whatever you say stlwaino. Thanks for telling me about the site - this is fun!

I have no opinion one way or the other on the athletic budget for MAC football. I would just like you to prove your points in the same way that you expect all of your many adversaries on here to prove theirs. It's too bad you can't.

By the way, I thought you said HoosierPal was the one who invited you to post here. Now it's me. Does that mean HoosierPal and I are the same person? The safest thing to do here would be to post the links from stltoday to settle the matter once and for all.