how long till some schools come looking at Corey Tate for their coach?

BLIKNS

As head coach?  Right now I think his reputation is as a recruiting insider. I'd be more worried about a blue blood (and I mean a true one, not Mi$$ouri or Illinois) trying to poach him away to do the same thing for them as he's doing for us. Goodwin and Gordon are elite talents who could realistically play for almost any team  in the nation, and by all accounts, Tate was crucial in bringing them in. The talent coming out of the STL area isn't going to be slowing down any time soon, and by all accounts Tate has a great relationship with many players and programs in the area. 

It'll be a while, I think.  Though he has been a juco coach (and an AAU coach), that's not the same as a Div. 1 head coach.  Most schools will want to see what he can do as a game-day coach at this level before hiring a "recruiting" coach to be their head coach.  Now, if you mean as an assistant, then they may still be skeptical, especially considering he didn't make much of a splash at getting St. Louis-area talent to Missouri during his one year there.  It's different convincing hometown talent to commit to the hometown school than it is persuading them to go to the state school an hour away — especially when he didn't even move his family there and settle down himself.

-he left Mizzou and their initial reaction was it was not a big deal as he didn't get for them what he has subsequently gotten for us, I would think a next stop would be semo or siue if they have money to throw at him

-I wonder what Mizzou fans think when they come to this board and can read a full page with one click versus the torture chamber that is their board? suckas

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

As head coach?  Right now I think his reputation is as a recruiting insider. I'd be more worried about a blue blood (and I mean a true one, not Mi$$ouri or Illinois) trying to poach him away to do the same thing for them as he's doing for us. Goodwin and Gordon are elite talents who could realistically play for almost any team  in the nation, and by all accounts, Tate was crucial in bringing them in. The talent coming out of the STL area isn't going to be slowing down any time soon, and by all accounts Tate has a great relationship with many players and programs in the area. 

SLU hired him from the ZOu

He may want to be a head coach some day and a smaller program would be the likely place but it will be harder to recruit top kids to a place like that.  I think for Tate, he is a St. Louis guy and his family lives here and seems to be anchored here.  I would think that as long as Ford is here Tate will stay.  Ford will make sure of that by making sure his salary is competitive.

Tate is a regional recruiter.  This isn't Chicagoland with 8 different D-1 schools within 30 miles of each other.  It's St. Louis.  How many programs are going to be salivating over a guy who can recruit just St. Louis?  Not many.  He's already worked at one of the schools.  Would SIUE hire him? SEMO? We could pay him just as much.  SIUE just hired a better coach than him.

Tate is exactly what SLU has needed for 40 years.  He isn't going anywhere & we'd be foolish to let him.

Yea I don't think that's anything to worry about for awhile.  I think he would've brought St. Louis talent to Mizzou if they head coaching situation wasn't so bad.  He got there pretty late to get any 2016 kids and now the head coach is on the hot seat so that's a tough sell for a 2017 kid from St. Louis because it's much easier to know everything that takes place there with the media covering it here.  This is a perfect situation for him and SLU.  

3 hours ago, almaman said:

maybe coach in waiting if T Ford bolts?

You want to give "Coach in waiting" (a buzzword that makes me wanna puke) to a guy who is on his first gig as a D1 Assistant? I'd rather hire Tanner Bronson as a head coach than Corey Tate. 

speaking of Tanner he was hired as a "Program Assistant" at UNLV

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You want to give "Coach in waiting" (a buzzword that makes me wanna puke) to a guy who is on his first gig as a D1 Assistant? I'd rather hire Tanner Bronson as a head coach than Corey Tate. 

While this is a pretty dumb conversation to be having in general, give me Tate over Tanner all day. Also, it's his second gig isn't it 

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is Tate's second gig as a D1 assistant.

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Tanner wasn't any good. I don't understand how anyone can say otherwise. Majerus liked him. That's all he had going for him. 

Anyhow, Corey Tate and Travis Ford, assuming they have results on the court, will be at SLU for a long time. 

13 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

SLU hired him from the ZOu

I know, I said I'd be worried about a TRUE blue blood, NOT Mizzou or Illinois.  I'm talking KU, UK, Louisville, etc. 

As someone else mentioned though, it's probably unlikely those schools hire someone who really only recruits St. Louis area. It's a way bigger deal for us to have him than them. 

Edit: as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm talking about these schools picking up Tate as an assistant.  Obviously Louisville isn't going to hire Tate as their head coach. 

One thing that actually has me excited about Tate, that hasn't been mentioned, is that he is actually a good big man coach.  We haven't had one on the staff since Whitesell left.  I never could figure out what the hell Crews was thinking loading up on project big men and having no one on staff that could coach them.  By the time conference play rolls around I expect to see a noticeable improvement in the play of our big men.  Doesnt mean they will be great, but I actually expect improvement. 

I think it's silly to think one or two or a dozen ranked recruits will make someone D1 head coaching material especially at the Blue Blood level.  The blue bloods don't take fliers on guys like that.  Self went from Tulsa to Illinois to Kansas.  Before Calipari, who cut his teeth at Umass, the NBA and Memphis, all as the head coach, the WIldcats had Pitino (HC), Smith (HC) and Gillespie (HC) all at high-level schools.  Most of the mid-level schools look to promote from within it seems or go to the top recruiter on a top 5 program (Crean, Gregory, Inglesy, Brey, Snyder, Capel, Dawkins, etc.).

Even our "star" recruiter in the Hughes quest only got as far as Western Illinois.  And that's where I think the real challenge might come from.  Does Tate want to be the man at a WIU, a SEMO, a SIU-E?  And that could be years down the road. 

We are all glad Corey Tate is on our staff.  And by all accounts, he not only has deep roots here in St. Louis having grown up here.  If I am correct, he graduated and played for Pattonville?  Since then, he played and graduate for Mizzou, he coached locally including AAU, he coached a year at Mizzou and would probably still be there if he had a better product to sell (Kim Anderson??  really??) and/or had moved his family to Columbia.  In any event, we are all glad he is now helping SLU (a much easier sell -- Travis Ford) and his family doesn't have to relocate!!.  He is still relatively young, has had close and personal ties to local kids such as recent recruits Goodwin and Gordon.  We all truly hope he continues to develop and grow as a coach while helping our program.  

.... but why would other programs hire him?  Does he have personal relationships with kids in Chicago, Cincy, Memphis, New York, etc.?  He is starting his second year in the coaching business and I ask what separates him from other assistant coaches/former players?  Then again, he is probably only in demand by our MBM's who wanted us to hire, as our head coach, Jay Spoonhour, Porter Moser, Alex Jensen, Chris Harriman, Calbert Cheney and Jim Crews.  Just because a program hires an assistant from within does not make our program the next X or Gonzaga.  The players wanted Brad Soderberg -- and the results were not great.  We appeased the national writers and sports fans by hiring the National Coach of the Year and the results were the worst coach possibly in Billiken history.

Instead, we hire proven, prior head coaches such as Spoon, Romar, Majerus and Ford and the results are good.  Sorry, but I don't want to be the next X, Gonzaga or VCU.