When is the Scrimmage vs E'ville

HoosierPal

2 hours ago, Neighbor Dave said:

It did feel counter-intuitive, which is why it stood out to me as an observation. Even when pushing the pace up and down the court, very few possessions were ending at the rim or even in the paint.  Just seemed like way too often the end result was a jumper (both longer 2s and 3s).

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Running up and down the court doesn't necessarily lead to a higher percentage of points in the paint. You still need finishers. We are still a year away from those guys getting on the floor. The best offensive players on this year's team are almost exclusively jump shooters.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification and further analysis. 

Neighbor Dave seems pretty spot on to me.  It's true, I am "super-friendly" -- though there are a few guys on here who might like to challenge that evaluation ...

I would say Roby and Bishop are probably going to play 30/game this year, and I think, contribute a lot next year.  Roby seems to have somehow had a "rebirth," and is really buying in, as far as it goes.  Bishop is really becoming a nice player who can score.  Those 2 are OK.

Mike is up and running full speed in all drills, at present.  If Wellmer can stay healthy and not aggravate his foot, I'm curious to see how he fills out over the next year or 2.  Neufelt is really starting to come along, in my opinion.  So some of the returnees are promising.  As the cliche goes, bigs just take longer.  I can assure you:  the intensity, and banging, against better athletes, are going to make MN and EW even more physical, down the road -- which is what they need to compete for PT.  Same for JJ -- he really needs to fill out and become more physical.  He is smooth, though -- but a bit thin.  His game actually reminds me of an 18-year-old Calbert Cheaney.  He is nowhere near as good as CC was, as a freshman -- don't get me wrong -- he just has CC's body and gait, and plays like him a little -- would be terrific if he could SCORE like CC.  (btw, CC was one of those freshmen who came in, first game, and scored about 20/gm,  just about every week...)

As for another opening to add another player, somewhere along the line-- I can tell you his much;  there are guys who are going to get 20-25 minutes per game this year, very consistently, who will never get off the bench next year, let alone after that.  And IF someone cannot even get minutes this year -- well, you do the math.  It's not very edifying to name names at this point, but it is easy to predict that at least someone will consider shifting down to a less talented Div. I team on which they can at least play a little, if not a lot.  Who would want to sit on the bench for their best years??

18 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Coach banks the remaining scholarship for 2018 there isn't a a need for anyone to move on.  Even with only 12 guys next year's squad will be one of the deepest squads we've ever had. 

Never bank a scholarship.  Coach Ford has a hot recruiting streak.  Get one more for 2017.  With 2 available for 2018, and the likelihood one player will leave (it just seems to always happen), why bank one?  It makes zero sense.  Also, in 2019, there are 5 available based on current roster makeup.

Thank you Dr. B. I really think that given the injury status, and possible recurrences or residual limitations affecting a number of our players, we are going to have to give good amounts of playing time to most people unaffected by injury this season. It is very nice to know your favorable opinion about Roby, Bishop, Neufeld, and Johnson's progress. I hope some of the others can raise up to the occasion as well. We do have a reduced number of players this year which will give ample opportunity to most of them to show progress, or lack of it. At the very least, I hope we are able to crawl out of the rock bottom spot in the A10 this year. 

We have a pretty strong idea who 9  of the players in next year's rotation will be. If you can't find a player who is an upgrade over those 9 players, banking that scholarship is definitely an option. I think it would be a shame to run off Gillmann, for example, just to make room for a kid who is going to get recruited over in 2018 anyway.  

Someone has to sit at the end of the bench next year. Might as well be a good student who we can celebrate on senior night.

The problem with a secret scrimmage is that, well, it's secret.  And with Evansville's being a bottom-level Missouri Valley program in a small city, it's not likely to find much.  The Evansville Courier Press has nothing about the scrimmage.  Perhaps someone on Twitter could tweet at https://twitter.com/ECP_Allar and maybe he will respond with a tidbit he may have heard.  Other than that, it may require following coaches and/or players to see if they tweeted anything about their impressions of the scrimmage.

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Neighbor Dave seems pretty spot on to me.  It's true, I am "super-friendly" -- though there are a few guys on here who might like to challenge that evaluation ...

I would say Roby and Bishop are probably going to play 30/game this year, and I think, contribute a lot next year.  Roby seems to have somehow had a "rebirth," and is really buying in, as far as it goes.  Bishop is really becoming a nice player who can score.  Those 2 are OK.

Mike is up and running full speed in all drills, at present.  If Wellmer can stay healthy and not aggravate his foot, I'm curious to see how he fills out over the next year or 2.  Neufelt is really starting to come along, in my opinion.  So some of the returnees are promising.  As the cliche goes, bigs just take longer.  I can assure you:  the intensity, and banging, against better athletes, are going to make MN and EW even more physical, down the road -- which is what they need to compete for PT.  Same for JJ -- he really needs to fill out and become more physical.  He is smooth, though -- but a bit thin.  His game actually reminds me of an 18-year-old Calbert Cheaney.  He is nowhere near as good as CC was, as a freshman -- don't get me wrong -- he just has CC's body and gait, and plays like him a little -- would be terrific if he could SCORE like CC.  (btw, CC was one of those freshmen who came in, first game, and scored about 20/gm,  just about every week...)

As for another opening to add another player, somewhere along the line-- I can tell you his much;  there are guys who are going to get 20-25 minutes per game this year, very consistently, who will never get off the bench next year, let alone after that.  And IF someone cannot even get minutes this year -- well, you do the math.  It's not very edifying to name names at this point, but it is easy to predict that at least someone will consider shifting down to a less talented Div. I team on which they can at least play a little, if not a lot.  Who would want to sit on the bench for their best years??

DocB.

Yes, thank you so much for your observations which are usually spot on.  Without pushing my luck, can you elaborate any further on two of our more unknowns:  Welmer and Neufeld.  Both have alot of size and potential but I never saw Welmer at all last year due to the injury and while I did see Neufeld, it was in a more limited role while under a clueless coach and without a proven point guard - and now who is recovering from mono.

Thanks.

I could not take anymore at the 1:31 mark, Coach Knight was wrong about Coach Jimmy.

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

Ford should be able to fix the illegal screens. It could also be the nuances of officiating. It doesn't sound bad.

I seem to remember Conklin and Loe getting called for a ton of illegal screens early in their careers.  It seems like it takes time to learn exactly what you can / can't get away with at the college level and how to set the screens without being called for a foul.  Therefore, I'm okay with a few of them as long as there is some improvement over the course of the season.

Interesting take away's from the PD Eville scrimmage article linked on the Billikens.com front page.  Bishop has the PG job. (No surprise.)  It is his to loose.  Hines and Roby will back him up.  Bishop had a goose egg, 0 for 9.  Didn't read as if Ford was pleased with the refs.  "Strict interpretation" of the screening rules.  Used the press at least on occasion.

Crawford played, but according to Ford, is about 60% back into BB shape.  That isn't going to help.  Moore hurt but back practicing today.  The injury bug could really derail this already thin team.